Earth, 1000 AD - A Historical PBEM

Nighthawk419

Deity
Earth 1000 AD

This will be a brand new PBEM game based on the scenario "Earth 1000 AD" which comes with the out of the box BTS expansion for civ 4.

This scenario simulates the Earth as it supposedly stood as of 1000 AD, and the rest of the game continues from this point on.

Here's where it gets tough!

My take on this scenario will be to attempt to kinda-sorta-recreate history through a PBEM game. Each player will be allowed to select any civ they may like. However there is a catch: each civ will have a unique historical victory condition that must be obtained in order to win the game. This is a specific house rule. There is no space race in this game, domination does not matter, each civ only has ONE, yes ONE (1) victory condition and you must succeed in it in order to be considered the winner. The first one to hit their victory condition is the winner!

Now obviously these victory conditions will be unique but many (who am I kidding... ALL) will have overlapping goals which will cause conflict and wars, and also hopefully, direct the game to follow the path of history.. at least start down the path, anyway, and in this game you have to perform BETTER than your civilization did in real history in order to be considered the winner.

I'm hoping to have around 6-7 players in this game in order to make turns go reasonably fast and smooth, however if there is major interest we can discuss adding more. All remaining civs not selected by humans will be played by the AI on a tough difficulty, so they won't just roll over for you!

Edit: I will be editing the worldbuilder... there will surely be some surprises that are not in the original scenario!

Settings
Speed: Epic
Tech Trading: Tech Brokering on, trading off
Cities can flip from culture
Raging Barbs
Aggressive AI
Huts: off
Random events: on
Espionage: on
Vassals: on
Requires complete kill

Civilizations + Unique Historical Victories
I will reveal the first part of the historical victory condition before civs are selected. The second part will not be revealed until after you have selected your civ! These will be semi-realistic with the history of each civ, so read up on their background to get an idea of what you need to do!

Chinese - Michkov - own modern day China at a minimum as of 1900 AD, defeat the Mongols
Japanese - Eclipse - control modern day Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Pacific islands, plus at least 3 cities in North America
French
- win a cultural victory
Arabia - defeat Spain, control Spain + starting Arabian empire as of 1900 AD
Spanish - Nighthawk - control Spain, own 2 cities in North Africa, own 5 cities in each of North and South America
English - Imp. Knoedel - own at least 2 cities on each continent in the world
Holy Roman Empire - control all of Europe, as defined below
Russia - Kiwitt - control the former USSR - modern day Germany to the Pacific and south to Iran... and build 1 nuclear weapon
Malinese - academia - own 3 cities and 200,000 gold
Incans - Hercules - own the entire South and Central American continent
Mongols - Tigranes - defeat Russia, China, Khmer and Korea
Aztecs - Count1 - own the entire North and Central American continent
Byzantine - Luthor - own the same lands the classical Roman Empire held, as detailed below, as of 1800 AD
Vikings - Sinimusta - own Scandanvian peninsula, 1 city on mainland Europe, the British Isles, Iceland, 1 city on Greenland and 3 cities in North America
Indian - win a cultural victory while controlling the Indian sub-continent
Khmer - own modern day Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and Indonesia, the Ankor Wat, survive until 1900 AD
Korea - own 3 cities and Korean peninsula, own Confucianism holy city, survive until 1900 AD

Reminder: This not simply selecting a civ and starting on an earth map with a goal in mind - each civilization starts as they were as of 1000AD, so some civs have much better starts than others. For example, the Incans, Aztecs and Mongols do not actually have any cities, just large armies and 1 settler, while the Byzantines, Holy Rome, France, etc all have cities, armies and (relatively) thriving empires. I will attempt to balance this with the difficulty of victory conditions, however nothing is guaranteed. Challenge yourself and let's have some fun!

Civ selection is first come, first serve... except for me, who will pick last from the scraps. Turn order will simply be based on the scenario turn order.

The game is "Earth 1000" on www.PBEMtracker.com

Considering this is set at 1000 AD, there are some very interesting options. :think:

The question is do I play what I think I want to play (something on the outskirts with room to expand), or do I try something different? (an island, or a centralized civilization)

Considering this is set at 1000 AD, there are some very interesting options. :think:

The question is do I play what I think I want to play (something on the outskirts with room to expand), or do I try something different? (an island, or a centralized civilization)

The scenario is set from the beginning, so you can see the world position at the time through worldbuilder, the options are the same as the scenario allows.

That being said, my historical victory conditions will make the game unique, and I will also be editing the worldbuilder save to add some surprises for everyone!

And as you are about to see, the victory conditions will force people into wars... the first two I've created overlap!

The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire - English victory condition

At the height of the British empire in the 1500-1600's, the saying was that the sun never set on the British Empire. This victory condition follows that phrase: You must control 2 cities on all of the continents in the world: Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, North America, South America. The British Isles count as Europe, you do not need to own any cities on mainland Europe.

Victory Condition, part 2: Each of the 'at least 2 cities on each continent' must be coastal, have a minimum population of 12 and have built: Lighthouse, Courthouse, Harbor, Customs House, Bank, Airport

Stop Those European Invaders! - Aztec victory condition

The Aztecs were native to the new world when the Europeans arrived in their ships with their guns. At their height they controlled modern day Mexico and into Texas and the southwestern United States. As the Aztecs in this PBEM, you can do better than that - your goal is to control the entire Central and North American continent, as far south as Panama. Your culture must cover the entire continent, north into the tundra and as far as Alaska.

Victory Condition, part 2: This is where things get different from the Incans. No turning the tables this time, Aztecs are content to live on their continent. However if they were to last, that means the United States of America wouldn't last, instead we'd have the United Aztec States! Part 2 is: make it to the Modern Age... and you are not allowed to run State Property, Police State or Nationhood.

Japanese Imperialism - Japanese victory condition

Some would say the worst of the Japanese civilization was their imperialism attempted during World War II as part of the Axis. Some could also say this was the height of their empire, as it stretched into the Pacific islands and into mainland Europe. You can do better! To win as the Japanese you must control all of the Japanese island (obviously) plus all Pacific islands through Indonesia, modern day China, Korea, and Vietnam and the island of Hawaii... plus 3 cities in North America.

Victory Condition, part 2: These can't just be any cities, they need to be significant and happy settlements. All your cities must be a population of at least 8, with no happiness or health problems.

Peaceful India - Indian victory condition

Ghandi was known as being the ultimate peace-monger, with passive resistance, and all that. To win as India, it's simple: win a cultural victory while controlling the entire Indian sub-continent.

Victory Condition, part 2: ??????

Back in the USSR - Russian victory condition

Some would say that the height of soviet influence was the USSR after World War II and during the Cold War. Of course it didn't last as the USSR broke into many independant nations... but you need to make it last. Re-create the USSR by having an empire that extends as war west as Germany, as far south as modern day Iran, and has culture that touches as far as east as the Pacific ocean. Oh and you must hold this empire together until you build at least 1 nuclear weapon!

Victory Condition, part 2: And you can "win" the cold war with that nuke... you also must control at least 1 city in the "New World". But not an original city, it must have been taken over with your military.

The Mongolian Horde - Mongols victory condition

The Mongolians were known as being the ultimate barbarians, raiding and pillaging, generally terrorizing most of Asia during their height. In what is most likely the most difficult victory condition, recreate the Mongolian horde and terrorize Asia. To win you must defeat Russia, China, Korea, and Khmer. Just a reminder: this civ starts with an army and 1 settler in Mongolia, thats it.

Victory Condition, part 2: - ready for the real challenge? The Mongols were mainly nomads and liked to burn the cities they invaded. Therefore, as the Mongolians, you can never own more than 4 cities at one time. Once you have reached 4 cities, thats it, you must burn any other cities you capture. You can accept a 5th city... but then you must immediately gift one of your old cities to another civ.

The Arabian Caliphate - Arabia victory condition

The Arabian caliphate is at its most historically significant height at the very start of this scenario. The Arabs control the entire middle east, including the Holy City of Jerusalem, modern day Egypt and the northern coast of Africa, and Cordoba in Spain. However the caliphate is threatened, the Christian kingdoms of Europe are about to start the Crusades and Spain is rising. In history the massive Arabian empire fell apart and even today the Middle East continues to be the most volatile place in the world, with rampant terrorism and militant groups of Islam fighting constantly. To win as the Arabs, you must hold the current Arabian empire until the year 1900 AD, including defeating Spain and controlling the Iberian peninsula and controlling the entire middle east.

Victory Condition, part 2: ??????

Mansa Musa's Gold - Mali victory condition

Mansa Musa and the Malinese empire at its height was known for its riches in gold. This one is simple: to win as the Mali, own at least 3 cities and 200,000 gold.

Victory Condition, part 2: Show off your riches! You must gift an additional 30,000 gold to the owner of Jerusalem at some point during the game. The gift of gold must be a minimum of 30 turns before you reach 200,000 gold. (e.g. if you have 200,000 gold after your gift of 30,000, you must wait 30 turns for the victory to be "official". So, its probably best to get the gift out of the way... but not too early, that gold can be used against you!

And no, you cannot own Jerusalem and then gift it to yourself, it must be to a separate owner of Jerusalem.

I lay claim on the UK if that´s alright and we don´t switch to RFC.

The Korean Conglomerate - Korean victory condition

Korea is a small peninsula which has been constantly ravaged with war and any attempt to rule a consolidated Korea has always ended in failure. Even to this day, the peninsula can't seem to agree as North and South Korea are split. To be a victor as Korea, control at least 3 cities and the Korean peninsula, own the Confucianism holy city, and survive until 1900 AD.

Victory Condition, part 2: ?????

The Korean Conglomerate - Korean victory condition

Korea is a small peninsula which has been constantly ravaged with war and any attempt to rule a consolidated Korea has always ended in failure. Even to this day, the peninsula can't seem to agree as North and South Korea are split. To be a victor as Korea, control at least 3 cities on the Korean peninsula, own the Confucianism holy city, and survive until 1900 AD.

I doubt that 3 cities fit on Korea, isn´t it just like two tiles wide?

The Holy German Empire - Holy Roman Empire victory condition

Holy Rome was a conglomerate of states in modern day Italy and Germany. This area has always had problems staying united, and war has been the theme throughout history in this area. Eventually the Germanic tribes became what is known as Germany, and the height of Germany (well at least the most mentioned German act) was the rise of the Nazis and the start of World War II. To win as the Holy Roman Empire, a.k.a. Germany, you must own all of Europe, including Scandanavia and the British Isles and as far east into Russia as modern day Moscow, as far southeast as Greece and Turkey.

Top Bottom