Deity Challenge #11 - Inca on Highland

Old Peter

Prince
Time for Inca! For cultural victory! And for Highland!

I have not tried anything of this before.

The easy part:

* Legendary start! (but where settle?)
* Inca on this highland map start should be perfect! Scattered mountains and corner start with a lot of room.
* Policy saving allowed!
* No barbarians! (They are luck dependent, especially with city states.)

The tough part:
* Only cultural victory allowed!
* No ancient ruins! (They are luck dependent and stressful. People will reload less and not learn patterns.)
* AI play in a four pack team! The rest consist of the toughest out there: Napoleon, Hiawatha and Augustus.

Good luck! We will all need it.

Starting location and file:

Attachments

• Pachacuti_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    497.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Civ5Screen0032.jpg
    Civ5Screen0032.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 745
I need advices on this cultural thing lol.

* How many cities should you have. Few right?
* Is Liberty and represantation a must?
* How generate a lot of culture exept buildings and city states? Should I aim for great artists and landmarks early?

Hat off too you if you never done it. :)
Never is a strong word. Of course I've done it. When I'm testing things I do it a lot, as I'm sure everybody did. But when I'm playing a game for real, and Deity Challenges most definitely qualify for that, I play under rules that are stricter than HoF rules. I don't abuse trades and don't save promotions. The only case I might reload is when I did a huge unintentional misclick like accidentally DoW my BFF, give away cities and such. Reloading to ensure wonders, earlier prophets and thus often founding religion, prevent units loss including caused by misclicks, not to mention getting better ruins or better CS quests is just silly. I can win every deity game playing this way, but it doesn't make me an elite deity player.
I know it's always easy to assume everyone is doing the same things you're doing, but that's simply not true. ;)

No ruins, no barbs, policy saving, resources spread from a truck & a map which renders naval stuff obsolete before a man learns to swim - to say the least we're quite far off from the game's starting point; the direction is for individuals to decide.

Endless reloading for a better semi-random ruin pop seems a bit excessive and moreover results a glimpse of a thought that peeps might have too much time in their hand.

No ruins, no barbs, policy saving, resources spread from a truck & a map which renders naval stuff obsolete before a man learns to swim - to say the least we're quite far off from the game's starting point; the direction is for individuals to decide.

Endless reloading for a better semi-random ruin pop seems a bit excessive and moreover results a glimpse of a thought that peeps might have too much time in their hand.
Policy saving for culture is especially great. :D Needless to say, I pass on this one.

I need advices on this cultural thing lol.

* How many cities should you have. Few right?
* Is Liberty and represantation a must?
* How generate a lot of culture exept buildings and city states? Should I aim for great artists and landmarks early?

I'd go for as many cities as you can find on good spots, but everyone of them must be able grow big enough to contribute (at least to be able to fill all the artist slots and preferably give enough hammers and/or gold so you can get those buildings). I wouldn't be afraid to stay on 3 or maybe even 2 cities if they are on awesome locations and other spots are taken or not very good.

I think Representation is a must if you've more than 2 cities.

Filling artist slots asap, getting landmarks asap and as many as possible and completing Freedom asap are what I try to do. CSs will help especially at the middle of the game too.

Now that the policy saving is allowed, it's interesting to see what kind of policy orders will be used.

Btw, agreed on ruins and barbs. Maybe they should've been disabled from the beginning of these challenges like many suggested.

No policy saving? one of toughest jobs is to make the policy timing right and this game will be easier because of this.

Edit: I think for comparision, we can handicap ourselves to choose policy when available vs policy saving.

Policy saving is nothing that can be abused. Either it is allowed in the setting or it is not. Here it is allowed, and everybody should do whatever they want with it.

* I always play with the "new random seed" off. Of course. This prevents the temptation from reloading ancient ruins etc. BUT - I noticed that on challenge 10 they allowed reloading with a different outcome. This is highly abusive. Not ok.

Reason I still disabled ancient ruins is because I remember from an old challenge that someone wrote that he did build and memorize a pattern in the way you explore ruins and therefore get different outcomes. Not good. But here it is prevented anyway.

Feel free to reload the game if you like, and not if you do not like it.

The only highly abusive thing that still bothers me is the gold loans before you DoW the AI. NOT GOOD :mad:. FIRAXIS PLEASE FIX THIS. If there is other abusive things you can do, I don't want to hear about them.

I still don't know that the AI even has a chance to win. I've never seen one come remotely close to a CV even when aiming for it(they'll maybe finish 3 trees by like turn 250).

I have never seen any player in diety remotly close to a honest CV either ;). I have never tried. It will be exiting too see what will happend here. Can we even survive in this map? ;)

I have never seen any player in diety remotly close to a hounest CV either ;). I have never tried. It will be exiting too see what will happend here. Can we even survive in this map? ;)

Well, it's been done, it's just a hard VC(insane post-patch but I don't peace monger so I don't know HOW hard), but a lot of that difficulty comes from finishing Utopia before and AI launches or stumbles into a diplo win which it can't do here. Policy savinf is actually VERY strong because you can stick a bunch of policies into Freedom as soon as you hit Industrial.

I guess we'll just have to see :p

I have started the map. I have no clue what I am doing when aiming for a cultural win hehe. I have the feeling I want to but so many tiles to build terrace farms. But I should not have to do that when going for culture, lol! This feels very very fun :)

Not sure I want to go on with this conversation, but I will anyway. :D

I find this:
Policy saving is nothing that can be abused. Either it is allowed in the setting or it is not. Here it is allowed, and everybody should do whatever they want with it.

and this:
Feel free to reload the game if you like, and not if you do not like it.

to be inconsistent with this:

The only highly abusive thing that still bothers me is the gold loans before you DoW the AI. NOT GOOD :mad:. FIRAXIS PLEASE FIX THIS. If there is other abusive things you can do, I don't want to hear about them.
;)

I have never seen any player in diety remotly close to a honest CV either ;)
Maybe you should look around. ;) Like I said, the fact that you abuse reloads doesn't mean everybody else who plays on deity does. If it was the case, this Challenge Series would have not started to begin with, because those who consistently beat immortal without them will consistently beat deity with them. ;) In other words Challenge with reloads is not exactly a challenge.

Yes we just have different opinion of what is abusive or not. I failed with the previous challenge. I wrote it, and that I reloaded from turn 50. I did learn a lot by trying a different strategy the second time. It would have been sad if I just quit the challenge just because I refused to reload the map I felt.

Top Bottom