News: TSG57 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 57
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Fifty-Seventh game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Science. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Science victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Inca and lead The Incan Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at King difficulty and at standard pace. Science victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until April 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V G&K - TSG57 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Pachacuti - Inca
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: King
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is enabled. (You may turn it off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.44. There is dlc in this game. It requires the Spain and Inca DLC pack but no others.

**Make note of the new game version. This reflects the new patch released Wednesday March 13th, 2013.

In this game, you will be playing as Pachacuti, you possess The Great Andean Road. Units ignore terrain costs when moving into any tile with Hills. There is no maintenance costs for improvements in Hills; half cost elsewhere.

You can train the Slinger. The Slinger is more fragile than the Archer, which it replaces. But if it is subjected to a melee attack it possesses a promotion that gives it a good chance to withdraw to the rear before an enemy melee attack can occur. This promotion carries over with upgrades.

You can also improve tiles with the Terrace Farm. This improvement makes the most use of hilly terrain next mountains by providing +1 food per mountain adjacent to the tile. It is available upon reaching Construction and only the Inca my build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Monday, 15 April 2013.

The Save can be found here.

It looks like the best start will probably be on the coastal river plains tile. Sure you lose the 2nd deer and the settling on a hill bonuses, but it keeps all the luxuries in the capital, allows for observatory and the river hill tile can have a terrace farm that should put out good food and production. Plus both salts and 1 deer will be in the first ring for fast growth.

I am tempted to settle on deer, if warri doesn't reveal anything useful. I have never done it and I am not sure what that will do to tile yields.

It won't give any bonuses unfortunately.
[Edit] Ok, I did some testing on a game I created. If the deer is on top of Grassland, then you get +1 food in your city. On top of plains or hills, though, there's no bonus. Also, if it's on Grasslands, you get another +1 food when you create a Granary, but not on plains/hills. So, unless that is the only grasslands on the entire opening area, it won't give any bonus.
[Edit #2] If the Deer is on Plains, then you'll get +1 food when you build a granary, but not if it's on hills. So settling on that spot still might be worth it even if there's plains underneath.
Personally, I think the coastal plains might be better, if there's a few sea resources nearby.

Never played as Inca, I'm gonna have to go play a test game real quick.

Whoops, never mind. Inca was the DLC I never bought.

For those Mac player that have the STEAM version, please ignore this post, you are fine.

For those Mac players that have the Campaign Edition from the Apple Apps Store, please read the quote below:
Hey guys! You may have noticed that Civ V Campaign Edition has updated.

I would recommend WAITING TO UPDATE.

There is an issue with the game crashing at launch once the update is applied. To bypass the crash, disconnect from the internet and relaunch the game.

NOTE: You will not be able to restore purchases or order DLC until this issue is resolved. Our apologies for any inconvenience this may be causing.

We are currently working on a version to fix this issue.

You can track this link for more information: http://support.aspyr.com/entries/23...gn-Edition-App-Store-1-0-2-44-update-is-live-

For those Mac player that have the STEAM version, please ignore this post, you are fine.

For those Mac players that have the Campaign Edition from the Apple Apps Store, please read the quote below:

Updated this morning through the app store and mine works fine :confused:

Glad to be back in the GOTM, has been a while.

Updated this morning through the app store and mine works fine :confused:

Glad to be back in the GOTM, has been a while.
Glad to have you back and to hear that you updated and everything is OK. :)

Just signed up to the forums, having been stalking them for a couple of weeks! I'm relatively new to Civ, thought I'd give this challenge a go. I can (hopefully) manage a victory on King, but I'm not used to playing for science victories and I've never played a proper game with the Inca, so it should be fun :)

I'm tempted to settle on the deer 1 SW, or to the tile west of that (below the two salt). The plan is to check with the warrior to see if there are any coastal resources first.

I've only played Inca in the New World scenario, so this will be a fun challenge for me. I was going to settle on that deer, but after reading may go coastal to see if I can make use of the water for growth. I am terrible at RAs though. But, I found a good strategy here on Civfanatics that has gotten me at or below 300 turn games with some of these TSG's.

I'm guessing the AI steal a lot of techs, huh? Yea, it's not that fun, and hard to stop if you are the tech leader.

First GOTM with G&K: I hate the spying system.

Welcome back if it's been since before last summer for your last GotMs! Spies are tricky but can be very useful. I have often forgotten I had one available for many turns in a flurry of clicking from turn to turn. But I do use them for many different things in my games. They are more versatile than I realized.

I've started removing my home spy if I have a serious tech advantage, if I'm trying to sign RAs. I hate being 2 eras behind everyone else and having to pay 200 gold extra per RA.

Also, you're not supposed to mention anything about the current game in the Announcement thread. You mentioned one of the opponents in this game, prolly should edit that out.

I'm about to break down and buy the Incas so I can play this one, I'm without a game to play!

Another reminder, once you have opened the save, you may no longer post in the announcement thread because you may reveal spoilers by accident. The post that did this has been moved to the Opening Action thread, so you may lose some context, but it does not belong in this thread.

Please follow the rule, once the save is open, do NOT post in the announcement thread. Thanks.

Sorry, my mistake. Should've gone to bed instead of venting steam anyway. Sorry for that too ;)

maybe i'm going crazy here, but i tried to play and it says i don't have the required DLC. the thing is, i do have Spain somehow? was Spain included as part of G&K or something?

I can't remember purchasing that DLC specifically, but it came out a long time ago. I checked Steam and there is no record of me purchasing it. I have Spain, but no Inca and no Spain/New World scenario, so I guess I never bought it. But how the heck did I get Spain?

One thing people forget is that terrace farms get better the more mountains you can get around them. So that tile due south looks good because it will get +2 food. The tile next to the coast may or may not be as good. It can get +1 food for sure, if there is another mountain under the fog, then +2 food.

Been awhile since I've played with the slingers. As I recall, they were pretty good for an early rush, especially through hills, because of their withdraw promotion.

maybe i'm going crazy here, but i tried to play and it says i don't have the required DLC. the thing is, i do have Spain somehow? was Spain included as part of G&K or something?

I can't remember purchasing that DLC specifically, but it came out a long time ago. I checked Steam and there is no record of me purchasing it. I have Spain, but no Inca and no Spain/New World scenario, so I guess I never bought it. But how the heck did I get Spain?

Spain was included with G&K.

Top Bottom