Brazil discussion thread

Oh, I forgot India :blush:
Well, the colors could be inverted, but it wouldn't be nice. The yellow has to be the inner color..

EDIT: India actually wouldn't be a problem. They have a light green with a gold/orange color. Brazil could be dark green with yellow.

If the colors were inverted, we would clash with the Inca. And India has a dark green.

If the colors were inverted, we would clash with the Inca. And India has a dark green.

Not really. India has a different kind of green, actually.

And with the yellow instead of the gold/orange, the theme would be completely different from India.

And yeah, the inversion of the colors would clash with Inca :cry:

India should have been dark green and orange while brazil should have been dark green and gold or yellow

Hey guys does anyone know any specifics about the UU? What era is it? What unit does it replace? What are the features of the golden age generation (is it a combat strength per kill thing like god of war/aztecs)? Also is there any word on the UI? The sticky here says it's +1 gold, +1 culture at acoustics on jungle. This seems kinda weak, not much better than a TP (even if it is perfectly aligned to the GA+culture civ). Is that all there is?

Acording to PC Gamer, the Brazilwood Camp is unlocked at Machinery and gives +2 gold, +2 culture after acoustics.

Hey guys does anyone know any specifics about the UU? What era is it? What unit does it replace? What are the features of the golden age generation (is it a combat strength per kill thing like god of war/aztecs)? Also is there any word on the UI? The sticky here says it's +1 gold, +1 culture at acoustics on jungle. This seems kinda weak, not much better than a TP (even if it is perfectly aligned to the GA+culture civ). Is that all there is?

And the UU replaces WWII infantry, which was expected.

But I was expecting the UI before the Trading Post.

Agreed, it looks like it comes too late... But the Brazilwood Camps could give us some nice tiles! Imagine a University + Sacred Path + Brazilwood Camp = +2 :c5food: +2 :c5science: +2 :c5gold: +3 :c5culture:

I wonder if the rationalism policy that effects trading posts will effect these camps, since they basically act like trading posts. Would be somewhat of a tradeoff then losing another +1 science (and potentially another +1 gold with the commerce policy)

I wonder if the rationalism policy that effects trading posts will effect these camps, since they basically act like trading posts. Would be somewhat of a tradeoff then losing another +1 science (and potentially another +1 gold with the commerce policy)

I hope they do

WW infantry? I hope the mechanics for golden ages change in that case; with GnK in culture games you'll be in a permanent GA by the time these guys come out anyway.
+2gold+2culture for the UI sounds better, though I'd still want to see my rationalism/commerce boosts to TP's apply before pronouncing it a good UI. Hmm, guess it's a civ I'll just have to reserve judgement on until I play (In July :()

Another thing to think about is the construction time. For what I rebember, a trading post on a jungle title can cost up to 14 turns to complete(not sure though, this is what I know :mischief:).

Acording to PC Gamer, the Brazilwood Camp is unlocked at Machinery and gives +2 gold, +2 culture after acoustics.

looks like Brazil doesnt have a single bonus in the first two ages. i guess they'll really have to be careful by then. but at least they dont have any flaw either, which is good.

Brazil seems very interesting to me, they will be the first civ I play as in BNW

Unique Ability: Carnival
Ain't no party like a Brazilian party. While you're in a Golden Age, you generate double Tourism (the new resource used for cultural victory) and double your chance to get a Great Artist.

Unique Unit: Pracinha
A replacement for modern Infantry, these guys build up points toward a Golden Age every time they defeat an enemy.

Unique Tile Improvement: Brazilwood Camp
Starting once you research Machinery, you can build these on any Jungle tile. They generate two Gold and, once Acoustics is researched, two Culture as well.

Adviser T.J. says:
Brazil is one of those civs that isn't going to play a whole lot differently from most in the earlier eras. Other than maximizing your happiness to produce more Golden Ages (and taking the policies that make them longer and more frequent), the best you can really do is manage your city placement to get the maximum number of Jungle tiles. If you don't start off near many, that probably means you'll want to take Liberty policies and go crazy with those settlers. From there, start preparing to become a military power once Pracinhas become available. Use them wisely while they're relevant, and once they become outdated, you can choose whether to scale back the aggression and focus on culture... or keep blazing along the warpath.

PC Gamer Article

In this preview we can see another line from Pedro II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZpBFP1bdpc

The use of 'vosmicê' caught my attention. Do they still use it on the late imperial years? And, if so, wouldn't it be kind of a colloquial term for a Emperor? I always though it was a predominant colonial term, used most by the commom people..

EDIT: forgot to mention the meaning of what he said. 'O que vosmicê quer?' is the classical 'what do you want?', but using a very antique form for 'you', which today would be translated to 'você' or, in a more polited way (for Pedro), 'tu' -as in 'O que tu queres?'

The use of 'vosmicê' caught my attention. Do they still use it on the late imperial years? And, if so, wouldn't it be kind of a colloquial term for a Emperor? I always though it was a predominant colonial term, used most by the commom people..

Hmmmm... So that's what he said! :lol:
That appears to be his HateHello line, so it might be the reason - you're lower than him, you get what "the commom people" (as you said) use. :lol:

Also, Pedro reminded me of someone there...

I suppose he says 'Vossemecê' (the early form of 'você')? In the 19th century the term was already considered popular, so I don't think the Emperor was supposed to use it... :p They probably just wanted to give an archaic spin to his speech. Perhaps the use of 'vós' - extremely formal and literary already in Pedro's time - would have been more appropriate for a man of his rank, though.

So, Samarkand is a city state now? Check that preview you guys were discussing

EDIT: Ignore this, it was already discussed in another thread and might go off topic.

I suppose he says 'Vossemecê' (the early form of 'você')? In the 19th century the term was already considered popular, so I don't think the Emperor was supposed to use it... :p They probably just wanted to give an archaic spin to his speech. Perhaps the use of 'vós' - extremely formal and literary already in Pedro's time - would have been more appropriate for a man of his rank, though.

Vossemecê is the short version of "vossa mercê", which was eventually shortned up to "você". Vossemecê is still used in a colloquial manner by (decreasing number of) the people of Alentejo in Portugal (where I'm from, by the way, we no longer speak like that - only really old people do). As most specific characteristics of pure Alentejan Portuguese (the omnipresence of the gerund, the widespread use of "você" instead of "tu"), it was widely used in Brazil (it has mainly to do with the fact that, for a number of reasons, Alentejo and Brazil kept more archaisms than the other regions of the Portuguese-speakig world)

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Português_alentejano

I think he's saying "vossemecê" because that's his angry line. The player deserves no respect by the Emperor. :D

Top Bottom