Write Your Own TV Show

ReindeerThistle

Zimmerwald Left
I notice from some of the other A & E threads that CFCers have some strong positions on some of the TV shows being foisted upon us by the PTB in show biz. For every Deadwood, Sopranos, Game of Thrones, or Nurse Jackie, there are hundreds of awful, vaccuous shows too numerous to mention.

I admit it, I like to watch TV, but given my lines of work, in the building trades and as a red my time is very precious -- too precious to waste on garbage. So, to help save time, if there are any TV producers out there lurking on this thread, take note -- these are things I want to see.

Please post if you can think of anything you would rather see than what is being delivered to us currently. Be it "reality" shows, news programs, sit-coms -- the sky's the limit -- just keep copies of any good ideas you have, so that when the PTB of Fox/ NBC/ ABC/ CBS/ CW, et al, steal your idea, you can sue the pants off of them. :D

Just for an example: what about a dramatic series based on the struggles of organized labor in the United States from 1864 on? There's lots to pull from and it's got everything you could want: violence intrigue, action, romance, adventure. Based on the Phillip Foner Book series History of the Labor Movement of the United States of America

Okay, let 'er rip!

The idea behind the show isn't as important as execution. Some of the best shows have the most flawed and implausible scenarios they are based on, but because of good producing, good directing, good writing and good acting they stand out from the crowd. The Walking Dead is a good example of an impossible scenario but it's been done so well (at least in the comics) that is has gained a large following. The show The Following is also highly unlikely but it does have talented actors so it works on some levels. Game of Thrones was written by a guy who previously did a lot of scripts so it's got a lot of great writing behind it and also a talented cast.

Good point. However, premises can be quite ridiculous, too -- and I do not think any good writing could save us from Baywatch. Or could it?

My point is subject matter, too. Yes, The above examples I stated are fiction, my intent in this thread is to show -- and see -- what kinds of things CFCers would want to see.

E.g., we get all of these news shows about the secret lives of triple murders (Dateline, et al -- but nothing about the good things people are doing. I didn't want to guide the thread too much, wanted to see what people came up with they thought was missing.

And I'll have to check out The Following.

Good point. However, premises can be quite ridiculous, too -- and I do not think any good writing could save us from Baywatch. Or could it?

I doubt if anyone watched Baywatch for the premise, acting or writing. Still, it did have a more plausible premise than The Walking Dead.

My point is subject matter, too. Yes, The above examples I stated are fiction, my intent in this thread is to show -- and see -- what kinds of things CFCers would want to see.

Subject matter is only as good as it gets developed. A great writer can turn tired and cliche' ideas into great works of literature if they work at it enough. Great actors can put enough passion into an otherwise boring role to make it more interesting. If all the stars line up just right, even some of the worst ideas can become good shows.

E.g., we get all of these news shows about the secret lives of triple murders (Dateline, et al -- but nothing about the good things people are doing. I didn't want to guide the thread too much, wanted to see what people came up with they thought was missing.

And I'll have to check out The Following.

It's worth discussing what people would like to see. Too often the entertainment industry likes to find a good money maker, and then they make a bunch of boring clones that never measure up to the original. I think that's what I would most like to see change.

Good. All good points, Murky. My unfortunate situation was that I only did 2 years of creative writing and screenwriting courses, about seven years of acting (paid only four times :() and Five years studying literature in college -- and I can't write a screenplay worth making a TV show out of. So, I'm stuck being the "idea man."

Oh, come on. You don't seriously think anybody watched that show for the writing???

Have you ever participated in NaNoWriMo? Or Script Frenzy? Script Frenzy was cancelled, but I think they're trying to revive it somewhat.

I've tried both - much more successful with NaNo during the past couple of years, having finally found a story I'm willing to stick with until it's finished (and this time I actually know how it's supposed to end).

If you can make yourself write at least a thousand words per day then you could be on your way to becoming the writer you would like to be. Most writers don't write their masterpiece on the first try.

Oh, come on. You don't seriously think anybody watched that show for the writing???

Have you ever participated in NaNoWriMo? Or Script Frenzy? Script Frenzy was cancelled, but I think they're trying to revive it somewhat.

I've tried both - much more successful with NaNo during the past couple of years, having finally found a story I'm willing to stick with until it's finished (and this time I actually know how it's supposed to end).

Re: Baywatch: I only ever heard it, I was usually in the next room, making phone calls -- IT ama alabor organizer.

Thanks both for the tips. I write an awful lot, actually, just not fiction. I help put out 20 different membership newspapers around the US and I instruction documens and review organizer training programs. I haven't written a screenplay since 1991! (Rejected!).

I'm just hoping to stir someone's creative juices. Civ and CFC are my only "me time" projects.

So here's my idea: Redneck drama. It's pretty easy to do comedy with rednecks, because of all the easily exploitable cliches. But I'd like to see something different, something showing some rural Appalachians as real people with interesting conflicts. Maybe focus on two feuding clans in a fictional Eastern Kentucky community. One is headed up by Denver Bowling, a man with a rags to riches story who built a bigass house in the holler he grew up in, a monument to how far he's come. He wants to see the feud end, but Hobert McLeod will see nothing of the sort. Hobert's tendency to cling to and even romanticize his old country outlaw lifestyle will be contrasted with Denver's personal regret and occasionally self-righteous contempt for it. The flaws in both will be exposed as both families struggle with crime, poverty, substance abuse, and each other.

I still can't come up with a good name.

So Hatfields and McCoys the comedy version?

I thought every show on the H channel was a comedy. Jarl Haroldson and his "Look! It's North America!" line should win the Vikings show a Golden Globe for Best Comedy. I'm a pretty big fan of Ax Men though, watching a show about lumberjacks is actually something.

lemme bump this. :bump:

Macleod’s

Macleod’s is a delicatessen that operates in the large college town of Ramsey, located on 703 College Avenue. Macleod’s is owned by the elderly, misanthropic Scottish immigrant Fergus Macleod. Mr. Macleod does not treat his employees well but does mistakenly pay them very well, due to his inability to balance his own books (which stems from his lack of education back in Glasgow). The mistake in question is a result of failing to carry a one, hence employees make $17.25 per hour, instead of $7.25, minimum wage. Despite the error, the delicatessen is a very profitable business, probably due to its location near a lot of student housing and bars.

It is clear to see why a job at Macleod’s is highly sought after by students looking to pay through college. One such student is the good-natured sophomore William “Will” Kidwelly. Will has spent his freshman year lost as lost can be. He also accidentally spent four years of college tuition money on freshman year textbooks (he bought new editions of all thirteen of his textbook). Now he has to pay his way through college on his own.

Moira Higgins is a senior year student who has been working at Macleod’s since her sophomore year. Moira is an alcoholic and a misanthrope, just like her boss and she rarely pays attention to the customers’ orders, and if she does, he messes them up completely. It is unknown as to how goes to class. Moira, when not drunk, loses her negative behavior and becomes a somewhat decent person.

Another worker at Macleod’s is former football star Julius Church. Now a junior, Julius was an all-state wide receiver before he broke both ankles at a recruiting event. No longer able to play, Julius has to work at Macleod’s to make up for the athletic scholarship money he no longer has. Julius is a hard worker who puts up with Moira’s antics since he feels that it is part of God’s plan for him (he also finds them pretty funny sometimes).

Next door, at 701 College Ave, is a novelty goods shop by the name of Wilks’ Gifts, owned by recent Ramsey College graduate Betten “Betty” Wilks. Betty possesses a young graduate’s sense of high self worth, exuberance, and blind confidence. She bought out the previous owner of 701 College Ave (a falafel shop) and started her own business selling trinkets and baubles. She frequents Macleod’s for lunch.

Across the street from Macleod’s is rival delicatessen O’Meara’s, owned by Irish immigrant Murray O’Meara. Mr. O’Meara and Mr. Macleod have a fierce rivalry due to their ethnicities, both of whom hold theirs very closely. Mr. O’Meara has many of the same personality quirks and traits that Mr. Macleod has.

Next to O’Meara’s is Jack’s Pub, a pub of ill-repute and two dollar Long Island iced tea Tuesday.
 
-------

Scene: Macleod’s delicatessen around 11:00 am in August. Moira is seen sweeping the floors and Julius is at the cash register shooting crumpled-up receipts into a nearby trashcan. No one is inside besides those two. Macleod’s delicatessen is a long, narrow store with a glass façade. Two rows of tables lie on the right side. A three-foot high divider separates the tables from the line, which is next to the food prep station and the cash register. A rear hallway goes to the bathrooms and a staircase that goes up to Mr. Macleod’s quarters. Hall and Oates’ “I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do)” plays quietly over the stores speakers. Neither Julius nor Moira are saying anything.

Running footsteps are heard in the distance.

Will quickly opens the door, creating a ding sound. Will looks visibly exhausted and is panting at the door.

Will – “MY NAME IS WILL AND I NEED A JOB.”

Neither Moira nor Julius interrupt what they’re doing.

Will – “I SAID: ‘MY NAME IS WILL AND I NEED A JOOOOOOOB.’”

A crumpled-up receipt hits Will. Will is flustered.

Julius – “You want a job? Why don’t you go to the bookstore, you sandal-wearing freshman.”

Will – “I am not a freshman. I am a sophomore. I actually know what I’m doing!”

Julius – “Uh huh. Sure seems like it.”

Will – “First, it’s almost ninety degrees outside; I need comfortable footwear! Secondly, if I don’t get a job I could staaaaaarve.”

Moira finally recognizes Will’s presence. Moira is visibly intoxicated.

Moira – “Why doncha ask good ol’ Mr. Macleod aboucha yer job?”

Will – “Thank you! Miss… Miss… oh darn it I’ll learn your name later.”

Will scampers across the length of the deli before realizing he doesn’t know where or who Mr. Macleod is. Will turns around and looks at Moira, then at Julius, then back to Moira. Both of them motion up. Will turns around and prepares to run before realizing he doesn’t know how to get upstairs. Will turns around and looks at Moira, then at Julius, then back to Moira. Both of them motion left. Will is little bit embarrassed.

Will runs up the stairs and sees a door; it’s the only door in a hallway. Will looks puzzled for a second before realizing this must be Mr. Macleod’s quarters. Will knocks.

A rustling sound is made in the room. Several grunts and Scottish-accented swears are made. The door opens and an old, smelly Scotsman opens the door. He looks a lot like Walder Frey from Game of Thrones.

Fergus – “WHAT IS IT?”

Will is able to see into Mr. Macleod’s room. It is unbelievably messy, with papers and empty bottles of scotch lying everywhere. A large Scottish flag covers the only window into the room, making it dark.

Will – “I… would like a job..?”

Fergus – “A JOB? IS THAT WADDAYA WANT? SURE! I NEED ME AN EXTRA HAND FOR THE NEW SEMESTER. TELL ME, BOY, WHAT’S YOUR NAME?”

Will was delighted at the smelly man’s promise, but still put off by his stench.

Will – “My name is, uh, William H. Kidwelly.”

Fergus – “KIDWELLY? THAT DON’T BE AN IRISH NAME IS IT? WHERE YA FROM?”

Will wasn’t sure of his ancestry. His family has been in America for a while. So Will’s elite skills in making stuff up came in handy.

Will – “Uh, no, sir. Not at all, sir. It’s a, uh, Welsh, uh, name. Yea, my family is from Wales.”

Mr. Macleod stares down Will and takes a close look at his face.

Fergus – “Alright, boy, yer hired…”

Mr. Macleod shuts the door loudly. After it shut, Will has a child-like expression of joy on his face and starts doing a celebratory dance. Will starts walking back down the hall and stairs, down to where Moira and Julius are.

Will reenters the dining room holding his head up high looking and feeling like a million dollars.

Will – “Guess who got hired? This guuuuuuuuy!”

Moira, who is still sweeping the same square foot of floor stops what she’s doing and walks over to Will. She hands him the broom.

Moira – “Aight ya brat, why don’t ya broom up the place and shut up? Also, go to the closet in the back and why doncha get yourself a smock, ya biscuit.”

-------

i'll be writing more soon.

Top Bottom