Superfail: Not being able to found religion with Desert Folklore

JanghanHong

Enrico Trololo
Playing a Standard size Frontier map as the Dutch. I had plenty of floodplains around but I didn't choose Desert Folklore since I loathe not being able to use desert folklore in majority of my cities since the floodplain was surrounded by much larger marsh riverlands. I also knew that happiness would be a problem with my quick settling as opposed to faith generation so I chose sacred waters instead.

Eventually, Arabia picked desert folklore, and I groaned because they had a lot of desert too and they'll eventually spam great prophets to no end. But, as luck would have it, Russia declared war on Arabia and took all the non-capital cities on desert, which wiped out their pantheons on those cities. They still had the capital, so I was expecting that they would found religion eventually, but then Sweden, Russia, and Ottomans that surrounded them all founded a religion, probably a turn before Arabia could have. I think they all used their liberty finisher for it.

It is indeed a good day when Arabia can't found a religion and make your life miserable :).

Did you stay non-religious though?
Anyway, Unresolved made an anti-Islam remark!:mischief:
||
||
\/

Desert Start indeed one of the easier ways to found a religion (another is start right next to a religious national wonder); but it appears to me its very easy to eventually found a religion because of the interaction of the pantheon founding rule with AI religious flavors.
Namely: The moment any civ enhances their religion, there is now a strict limit on founding of new pantheons. (Only allowed at that point if the total number of existing pantheons is less than number of religions that can still be founded.) All you have to do to found a religion is found a pantheon before an AI with high religious flavor enhances, ensuring that you will (eventually) found one. (Several AIs have religious flavors so low they don't build any faith buildings at all.)

There's also several other pantheons that will increase faith. (If there's a natural wonder near you; even if its not a religious one, you can choose "One With Nature" and then get 4 faith from it. Even more if playing Spain.)

Desert Start indeed one of the easier ways to found a religion (another is start right next to a religious national wonder); but it appears to me its very easy to eventually found a religion because of the interaction of the pantheon founding rule with AI religious flavors.
Namely: The moment any civ enhances their religion, there is now a strict limit on founding of new pantheons. (Only allowed at that point if the total number of existing pantheons is less than number of religions that can still be founded.) All you have to do to found a religion is found a pantheon before an AI with high religious flavor enhances, ensuring that you will (eventually) found one. (Several AIs have religious flavors so low they don't build any faith buildings at all.)

There's also several other pantheons that will increase faith. (If there's a natural wonder near you; even if its not a religious one, you can choose "One With Nature" and then get 4 faith from it. Even more if playing Spain.)

also, getting lucky with religious city-states in the early game.

Top Bottom