North/South Pole Remover for Civilization

Gowron

Chieftain
After creating a Europe map for Civilization, I was looking for a way to keep the game from automatically creating Arctic and Tundra terrain at the top and bottom edges of the map.

I've now been able to write a program that changes civ.exe accordingly, preventing the "north pole" and "south pole" terrain formations from being created. This will affect all new games that you start, including both Earth map games and random map games.

Since this might also be an interesting feature to use without the Europe map, I've written it as a stand-alone application, which is attached to this post.

Usage:

Simply unzip the program into your Civilization folder and run it once.
Running the program again will revert the changes.
If you run the progam from the command line, then a short notification will be displayed.

Have fun :)

Very nice! I haven't tried it yet - it surely doesn't mean that the map wraps at the top and bottom edges now, right? (I mean, you can't go off the bottom and appear at the top, I assume!)

Sounds great, but it's not working for me. I even went into terraform and created a map without the poles, but when I start a game, it still has the poles. Any ideas?

Very nice! I haven't tried it yet - it surely doesn't mean that the map wraps at the top and bottom edges now, right? (I mean, you can't go off the bottom and appear at the top, I assume!)

The topology of the map does not change. There's no shortcut from top to bottom or vice-versa.

Sounds great, but it's not working for me. I even went into terraform and created a map without the poles, but when I start a game, it still has the poles. Any ideas?
This could be a compatibility issue.

If you run the pole remover program from the command line (cmd.exe), what message does it display?

I forgot to check that. It says: ERROR: unable to locate north/south pole generator table in civ.exe.
OK, unless you are running the program from the wrong location, this is a compatibility issue. Your version of civ.exe is so "different" from .01 that the Pole Remover cannot find the relevant part of the code.

Interesting. Mine says its version 4. I do have a version 1, and it works on that.
Thank you for this information. Apparently the map generator was changed significantly between versions 1 and 4. That is unexpected, and good to know.

Yeah, I thought you would find that helpful. Perhaps someday you can put in a check for which version a user has, and it will adjust accordingly.

Top Bottom