News: TSG 61 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 61
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Sixty-first game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Culture. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Cultural victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as the Huns and lead the Hunnic Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at King difficulty and at standard pace. Cultural victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until June 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V G&K - TSG61 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Attila - Huns
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 18
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: King
Game pace: Standard
Game options: There are No Ruins and Raging Barbarians in this game. Quick Combat and Quick Movement are enabled. (You may turn it off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.44. Wonders of the Ancient World is in this game and is required to play the start save.

**Make note of the new game version. This reflects the new patch released Wednesday March 13th, 2013.

In this game, you will be playing as Attila, you possess The Scourge of God. You raze Cities at double speed and borrow City names from other in-game Civs. You also start with Animal Husbandry technology and get +1 production per Pasture.

You can train the Horse Archer. Horse Archers are fast ranged units, deadly on open terrain. They are slightly stronger in defense than the Chariot Archer and can move through rough terrain without the Chariot Archer's movement penalty. They also start with the Accuracy I promotion. As a mounted unit, the Horse Archer is vulnerable to Spearmen. Unlike the Chariot Archer, the Horse Archer does not require Horses.

You can also train the Battering Ram. Battering Rams are a Hunnic unique unit replacing the Spearman. Use Battering Rams to knock down the defenses of a city. They have the Cover I promotion to keep them safe from ranged units; attack them with melee units to defeat them.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Saturday, 15 June 2013.

The Save can be found here.

In this game you will play as the Huns and lead the Hunnic Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at King difficulty and at standard pace. Cultural victory is the designated VC for this game
LOL. Even thought this is a King game, the idea of a Culture VC with Attila makes this game worth playing :lol:

EDIT : I realized after posting, that this could be misunderstood. I'm simply speaking of myself, mostly playing Immortal games so king is no challenge. That doesn't mean that King games are bad, or King players dumb, or anything like that :blush:

I guess you can always quick-raze any city that appears near you and keep plenty of wildlands for Barbs to spawn, than abuse Honor opener. Could make for a fun game. :crazyeye:

Yay for no ruins! :king:

(As previously mentioned, I am generally in favor of ruins, but a T1 or T2 Battering Ram would have had too big of an impact).

Also glad to see Attila in a Cultural game. Looking forward to playing this!

LOL. Even thought this is a King game, the idea of a Culture VC with Attila makes this game worth playing :lol:
I guess you can always quick-raze any city that appears near you and keep plenty of wildlands for Barbs to spawn, than abuse Honor opener. Could make for a fun game. :crazyeye:

When I played through all the civs for achievements, I did OCC culture as Attila.

Raging Barbs are on right? The write up is not clear if taken literally.

Raging Barbs are on right? The write up is not clear if taken literally.

yes they are on. without being a grammarian it still would be correct as those are the wordings for the settings in Advanced Settings and they were appropriately capitalized. also, Raging Barbarians isnt a standard setting used commonly in the GotMs so there isn't a reason to explicitly tell people it isn't turned on.

Yay for no ruins! :king:

(As previously mentioned, I am generally in favor of ruins, but a T1 or T2 Battering Ram would have had too big of an impact).

Yeah, I saw you mentioned this in the tsg60 thread and it made sense so I went with it. I added the Raging Barbs for a little flavor too.

yes they are on. without being a grammarian it still would be correct as those are the wordings for the settings in Advanced Settings and they were appropriately capitalized. also, Raging Barbarians isnt a standard setting used commonly in the GotMs so there isn't a reason to explicitly tell people it isn't turned on.

Yes, you are right.

Twice a month it is like Christmas, waiting to see what you have for us.

sorry for the noob question, but how do I get "Wonders of the Ancient World"? When I look for DLCs, I can't find it when searching for "Wonders" or for "Ancient".

sorry for the noob question, but how do I get "Wonders of the Ancient World"? When I look for DLCs, I can't find it when searching for "Wonders" or for "Ancient".

if you go to Civ 5's Steam store page there should be a list of available DLCs just below the part that says 'You already own this game'. It should be listed there.

I have a very mixed feeling about Ruins. On the plus side, they are a nice incentive for exploration, on the minus side, when you get map-barbs-barbs : they are a nice incentive for rage-quitting ... :rolleyes:
I would rather have some control over the randomness, so that nobody would get too much a bonus, or plain nothing out of pure luck.

it is also possbile to buy it as a downloadcode at Amazon or similar shops.
There you find it exactly under that name (Sid Meier's Civilization V: Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario Pack).

I have a very mixed feeling about Ruins. On the plus side, they are a nice incentive for exploration, on the minus side, when you get map-barbs-barbs : they are a nice incentive for rage-quitting ... :rolleyes:
I would rather have some control over the randomness, so that nobody would get too much a bonus, or plain nothing out of pure luck.

What if the map gave you El Dorado?

The Huns are one Civ I haven't played yet and I haven't done a culture victory in a while.

I might have to give this a crack if I can finish up my current game I'm playing.

The start looks very interesting.

This is a great idea. Thank you staff, in advance. Frankly speaking, while I think the previous gotm (gotm60, immortal Dido) one had a great setup and map, even before starting this one I feel that this one will be better. Huns, culture, no ruin, raging barb... just amazing. :)

Hi, I just joined your community... I'm an experienced BtS player, bought Civ5 a month ago and did some games, but didn't finished. I think this will be a great Achievement to win my first game :)
Anyone knows how to make Screenshots in Civ 5?

Huns and Culture should make for an interesting combo. I think I'll settle on that riverside hill to the east. That keeps the western horses for the capital's 3rd ring.

Top Bottom