Reform and Rule

Machiavelli24

Mod creator
Reform and Rule (Gods & Kings)

Replaces every Social Policy with unique, innovative and subtly synergistic options! Reform & Rule is compatible with most other mods and allows you to play with only the new social policy branches you want. How will you reform your civilization in its quest to rule the world?

Looking for the Brave New World version of this mod? Go here!

• Tradition/Liberty/Honor: Will you go tall, wide or military? Will you complete the entire policy branch for the powerful capstone? Or will you grab only the policies you need while quickly transitioning to Piety? Or will you conserve your cultural capital, forgoing the advantage of policies now, and instead aim to quickly complete the more powerful late game policy branches?
  • Piety: Construct monuments to the gods! Use faith more efficiently! Have Golden Ages that power your empire to glory! Piety can be your savior but it can also lead to stagnation as completing it will delay access to more advanced social policies. Only your wisdom will help your empire find the right balance between spiritual and temporal affairs.
  • Patronage: Profit from City-States, be they loyal ally or conquered subject! With patronage capturing City-States can be a way to expand your empire without risking war with another major power.
  • Commerce: Money may not buy love but it can buy power, buildings and armies! A master of Commerce can make so much money that production is no longer required, everything can be purchased. The capstone policy gives you money when your treasury is empty -- allowing you to make money by spending money!
  • Rationalism: A technological edge can be decisive in Civilization and Rationalism will allow your empire to generate science by growing your population and increasing the productivity of your scientists. Completing Rationalism can be risky as it will delay access to potentially critical policies in Freedom, Autocracy and Order.
  • Freedom/Autocracy/Order: How will you win? If you are going for culture victory try Freedom. Planning to conquer the world? Try Autocracy. If you would rather conquer the stars try Order. Each policy branch directly supports a specific victory condition but crafty leaders can use the policies to support alternative victory conditions.

Tradition | Liberty | Honor | Piety | Patronage
Tradition Policies.png | Liberty Policies.png | Honor Policies.png | Piety Policies.png | Patronage Policies.png
Order | Autocracy | Freedom | Rationalism | Commerce
Order Policies.png | Autocracy Policies.png | Freedom Policies.png | Rationalism Policies.png | Commerce Policies.png

The Steam Workshop entry has screenshots of the social policies which can also be seen above. If you like the mod and want me to prioritize development of it let me know by rating it and making it one of your favorites on Steam and by posting here.

Download Locations:

FAQ:
Q: Why did a policy which gives a lump sum of X gold/science/culture/etc (such as the Freedom opener) give me Y gold/science/culture/etc?
A: Lump sums are often scaled based on game speed. If you are playing on a non-standard game speed the description will not be accurate.

Q: I think I got an incorrect amount happiness from a policy (such as Protectionism in Commerce). Is this a bug?
A: It could be a bug but certain sources of happiness are scaled based on map size and difficulty level. If you are playing on a non-standard sized map or at a low difficulty level the description of how much happiness may not be accurate.

Q: The commerce finisher didn't give me the right amount of gold. Is this a bug?
A: It could be a bug but if you playing on a non-standard game speed the point at which the bonus gold is zeroed out is moved up or down from the default of 1000.

Q: Why did no changes happen after I started a game with this mod?
A: Are you running Civ 5 in a language other than english? English is the only currently supported language in Reform & Rule (the German translation is out of date).

Q: I like most of the changes made by this mod but I don't want this mod to make any changes to policy branch X. Can I do that?
A: Yes you can! See the "how to disable specific policy branches" section below for instructions.

Q: I have another mod that changes a specific policy branch (for example, say Honor). Can I use that mod in combination with Reform & Rule?
A: Probably. If you disable Reform & Rule's Honor branch (see the "how to disable specific policy branches" section below for instructions) you can play with the other mod's Honor branch while the other policy branches will match Reform & Rule.

Q: Is this mod compatible with mod X?
A: This is not an easy question to answer but here is a good rule of thumb. If mod X changes social policies it will not be compatible (unless you disable the policy branches in Reform & Rule that mod X alters). But if mod X does not change social policies than it almost certainly is compatible.

How to disable specific policy branches:
It is easy to disable the changes this mod makes to specific policy branches. Doing so would allow you to play with the unaltered version of the disabled policy branches. Disabling a specific branch would also allow you to combine this mod with another mod that altered the disabled policy branch. To disable policy branches do the following:
  • Go to your "Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/Reform and Rule (v X)/Social Policies" directory. Inside you will find a directory for each social policy branch (Tradition, Liberty, etc)
  • For each branch you want to disable, change the name of the directory to put an underscore at the start of the name. For example, changing "Tradition" to "_Tradition".

Possible conflict with other mods:
There is one file "InfoTooltipInclude.lua" that Reform & Rule replaces which could cause compatibility issues (but this is unlikely). If you want to disable the changes Reform & Rules makes to the file "InfoTooltipInclude.lua" then go to your "Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/Reform and Rule (v X)/Shared" directory and rename the "Building Tooltip fix" directory to "_Building Tooltip fix". Disabling "Building Tooltip fix" will not result in any game play differences, only a minor cosmetic difference.

Known Issues:
  • This issue is unlikely to be relevant during normal play as it requires a player to have policies in two mutually exclusive branches (such as Piety and Rationalism) and to switch back to Piety after getting Rationalism (just going from Piety to Rationalism won't cause problems). The issue is: when a player selects a blocked policy branch (selects Piety when they have policies in Rationalism) without getting a new policy in the blocked branch (Piety), certain parts of specific policies in blocked branch (Piety) will not "unblock" and work until the player gets a new social policy.

Change log:
V 31 Reform and Rule
Spoiler :

Tradition:
  • Oligarchy: now gives happiness for the Circus Maximus National Wonder
  • Aristocracy: now only gives -25% unhappiness in the capital, instead of -50% unhappiness

Liberty:
  • Moved around multiple policies
  • Opener: now gives +50% Settler production in all cities, instead of just the capital
  • Collective Rule: now +2 Science from every Stable
  • Representation: now gives +15% production when building National Wonders

Honor:
  • Combined and moved around some of the effects of various policies
  • Discipline: now gives +2 Science from every Courthouse, Forge and Citadel
  • Military Caste: now also gives +4 Happiness from the Heroic Epic

older versions:
Spoiler :

V 30 Reform and Rule released!
Spoiler :

• Lots of tweaks to multiple policy branches

This may be an isolated incident, but certain civilization AIs seem to be severely handicapped by this mod. I just played a game (Standard size/speed, continents, Emperor difficulty) in which Egypt opened Liberty and still had only the one city some 70 turns in. Given the relative terrain, there is no question of Egypt getting unlucky and having a settler sniped by barbarians, nor was Egypt in a situation without any viable expansion sites. Honestly, I don't see this as a problem with the mod. I just suggest that folks may want to look into AI-fixing mods for use in combination with this mod--or accept that the AI balance of power will be a bit more out of whack than one might usually expect.

Ixex, I've seen similar behavior on rare occasion. My theory is that it happens when a civilization that has a high flavor for wonders rolls an extremely high wonder flavor. They build wonder after wonder in their capital, only stopping to build military units, never stopping to build settlers.

I've released a new version of the mod, it focus on changes to the first three trees, Tradition, Liberty and Honor. Honor has gotten some big buffs to make it more viable as a first choice. This will most likely be the last version of this mod until BNW is released.

I plan to update this mod for BNW. There will be significant changes made in BNW and that will have a ripple effect on this mod. I expect to make many changes to Piety as well as Order, Autocracy and Freedom.

Do you have a changelog out there anywhere? I noticed v17 was just pushed out..

Very interesting mod btw, trying a Deity culture game..

This mod looks amazing, but the real question is, does it support BNW now?

Yes it does! This is the thread for the Gods and Kings version of Reform and Rule (and it will not work in Brave New World).

The thread for the Brave New World version of Reform & Rule can be found here.

Top Bottom