News: TSG 62 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 62
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Sixty-second game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, there is NO designated VC. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled. Results will be published by fastest victory turn.

In this game you will play as Byzantium and lead the Byzantine Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Deity difficulty and at standard pace. There is no designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until July 1st to complete the game and submit.

Civ V G&K - TSG62 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Theodora - Byzantium
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 18
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Deity
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat and Quick Movement are enabled. (You may turn them off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.44. There is no dlc in this game.

**Make note of the new game version. This reflects the new patch released Wednesday March 13th, 2013.

In this game, you will be playing as Theodora, you possess Patriarchate of Constantinople. You choose one more Belief than normal when you found a Religion.

You can build the Dromon. This Naval Unit attacks with lethal Greek Fire, making it the first naval unit with a ranged attack. This unit fights at +50% strength against other naval units. It cannot enter Deep Ocean tiles outside of the city borders. It replaces the trireme and only the Byzantines my build it.

You can train the Cataphract, a fast and powerful early game Mounted Unit that is weak to Spearmen. Only the Byzantines may train it. This Unit has a higher Combat Strength, defends better, and attacks cities more effectively than the Horseman which it replaces.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Monday, 1 July 2013.

The Save can be found here.

Yay for Deity game (with any VC enabled)!

Very interesting start. Tough to say whether it's better to go for God of the Sea (all those whales/fish) or to go for Dance of the Aurora to get an early religion for Byzantium's UA. Hmmm....

Hope I can beat this one. Thanks, and YEY! for a deity game!

Nice! One of my favorite civs and a very interesting start location. The whales tell me to stay put but the grey tiles with one green dot make me want to run far away.

I think I'd move the warrior east 1 then to the forest between the wheat and 2nd deer. Then I'll decide if I'm setting in place or where the warrior is. I think taking Dance of the Aurora might be a good idea just to help ensure I can found a religion to use my bonus belief. However, with 3 whales and a fish, God of the Seas might be the best choice to make up for the distinct lack of production in the screenshot.

This just may be the high difficulty map that the Deity Challenge people are looking for. Regarding Aurora, which tundra tiles would you actually work early on other than the one deer and your capital? Seems like God of the Seas will be needed due to very low production otherwise, however, production will still be poor until later in the game (after harbor, seaport, production buildings). Looks like a map for masochists only, particularly since Byzantium is arguably one of the worst civs. :lol:

Yay for Deity game (with any VC enabled)!

Very interesting start. Tough to say whether it's better to go for God of the Sea (all those whales/fish) or to go for Dance of the Aurora to get an early religion for Byzantium's UA. Hmmm....

You can go for both, with their UA.

Then I'll decide if I'm setting in place or where the warrior is

why d u even consider moving north - there is obviously maps dead end - and no I havent even dloaded the save yet ...

and if i get to play this i ll really try to just ignore all the wales and focusing on working the dear and wheat.
the tundra thing only worth it if playing semi wide - cap allone wont work many tundra tiles - even 1 dear is on plains

First attempt at deity. First attempt with Byzantium. I expect to learn lots, and to be a bit sad that I never get to see Theodora's leader screen ;)

I don't know how high to prioritise religion, given the UA. High priority would lead me towards the Aurora pantheon, but that means working Tundra :/

A lower priority means GOTS, but then I don't know that I'd get a religion in enough time to take advantage of the UA. Looks like a really interesting puzzle, thanks!

i'm so gonna play this. will be my 1st gotm and looks like a real challenge for my skills.

Will play and see what kind of victory I can come up with. As usual, Deity is out of my comfort zone and i will probably lose.

Will move warrior south 2 hexes and see. 9 chances out of 10 to settle in place and write off a lot of the tundra until they discover some strategic resource there. GoTS seems more pertinent than faith from tundra, no? I always thought you have to work the tiles to collect the faith (like desert folklore et. al.)

Looks like a crap start.
Probably need many cities maybe liberty..
If there is 2 faith CS near, then it would be eaisier, otherwis this could be a disaster map..

That looks like a tough start. At first glance, going for GOTS and Whale farming seems the obvious way to go. But seafaring starts tend to be slow. So I'd definitely scout the area below with my warrior first. Maybe settling between wheat and dye is actually a faster start, depending what else is there. More deer and food from camps pantheon for example. Domination is obviously going to be the fastest, but a cataphract rush may be hard to pull off on Deity. The gamble is whether all civs are on this continent. Because if not, you may regret not starting on the coast.

That looks like a tough start
Actually, not that tough (I have just played a 70-turn session)
Domination is obviously going to be the fastest
deity is not like immortal where you can just walk over your neighbors... with 7 opponents, my odds are that diplomacy or science is going to be faster

Top Bottom