[Story] The Land of The Rising Sun

IAmBecomeGandhi

Chieftain
Since my Iroquois story died kind of quickly with my save file completely disappearing, I decided I'd start up a new one. This time, I'm using a different civ though. (I'm sure you've figured out which from the extremely corny title.) I originally intended to use my home country, England, but about 2 turns into the game I discovered two things.

1) The Huge map from YNAEMP has horrid start locations for both England and the Celts.
2) The Giant map from YNAEMP and my computer do not go together well.

So I decided I'd go with the next best thing. An Island Nation with two UUs and a military focused UA, just off the coast of a continent full of civs. Just like England. (The honest reason I picked Japan is that I'm a bit of a weeaboo.)

Anyway, I've changed a few settings around. I'm going to play this one on Standard speed and I've increased the difficulty to Warlord. (Don'tjudgemeit'sforroleplay.)
I also have Complete Kills enabled, so hopefully this save will last long enough for that to matter.

One final thing, I'm going to do as pretty much every other storyteller on CivFanatics does and use differently coloured text to designate the story so you can skip ramblings like this if you want to. Anyway, let's begin.

The Formation of Japan
The islands of Japan have been given many names. Nippon, Jippon, Jipangu and so on.
Not once had they been united under a single nation, however.
The triumph of Clan Nobunaga in a recently decided civil conflict was about to change this.
Many of the clan's Men and Women had not survived the bloodbath, but those that remained were ordered to establish a permanent settlement. It was to be at the coast, by the rivers Ujigawa and Katsuragawa and close to the base of Mt. Fuji, as many believed it to be the home of the spirits who aided them in their battles, and an important part of their culture.
With the capital city of Kyoto now created, Oda, leader of Clan Nobunaga declared himself Shogun of Japan.

I've kept the introduction short as I feel I've already made this post long enough but don't worry, I have another 6 screenshots lined up for the next part. Thanks for reading!

Good luck!

Gambatte! It's been too long since I've read a good Japan story. No shame in being a Japanophile. A few pointers though:

-Oda Nobunaga never wanted to be Emperor. Use the title Shogun instead, that was his aspiration.
-Oda's capital wasn't Kyoto, that was the imperial capital which didn't have much power in practice since the Heian era. Oda's real capital was somewhere around modern-day Nagoya.

Very nice, sorry about the Iroquois game, good luck with this one!

Gambatte! It's been too long since I've read a good Japan story. No shame in being a Japanophile. A few pointers though:

-Oda Nobunaga never wanted to be Emperor. Use the title Shogun instead, that was his aspiration.
-Oda's capital wasn't Kyoto, that was the imperial capital which didn't have much power in practice since the Heian era. Oda's real capital was somewhere around modern-day Nagoya.

Thanks! I'm not particularly going for historical accuracy though, consider it an alternate universe sort of thing.

Thanks! I'm not particularly going for historical accuracy though, consider it an alternate universe sort of thing.

I'm just pedantic. Keep Kyoto if you want, it just pains me to have Oda called emperor instead of shogun. Did Oda ever become shogun per se?

I'm just pedantic. Keep Kyoto if you want, it just pains me to have Oda called emperor instead of shogun. Did Oda ever become shogun per se?

Edited. xD

I'm pretty sure he never properly became Shogun, but don't take my word for it, my non-english history is pretty bad.

Next part shall be up later on.

I'll be checking up on this. :)

Thanks guys!

Sunrise
One of the first things to occur under the Shogun's rule was further exploration of the island.
Within a day, the soldiers sent returned to Kyoto having discovered ceramic shards in what seemed to be the ruins of an older civilization. Some wise men of the clan analysand them, and discovered the techniques of Pottery.
Around this time, the first mass population growth in Japanese history occured. This is believed to be due to the increase in food supply and easier lifestyle that a permanent settlement offered.

Meanwhile, the construction of a monument to the clan's success in the city of Kyoto was completed.
The next priority was to create a storehouse for crops, to allow for even more food and growth in the city.
If Japan was to become a great nation, it would require far greater manpower, as well as wealth. Many believed that such wealth could be attained from the sources of Gold to the Northwest, so it was made a priority to discover methods of obtaining it. Once such methods were discovered, a written language was to be created.

One of the main reasons behind the creation of this language was the introduction of what would be the nation's laws.
These were to be the codes of honour and discipline that had long existed within the Clan.

:goodjob: so far!

Top Bottom