New unit; Heavy assault infantry/ Commando force

Smoking mirror

Ships Captain
Whew! I forgot how much work it takes to make a human unit with my lame 3d program. :lol:

However on this occasion I think the hard work has paid off. What I wanted to do is make a WWII era submachinegun armed infantry unit with heavy equipment and make it to a standard that is as good as the units included in the "play the world" WWII units collection. I will also be making a light equiped variant.

You can get the files here; Commando

Update, new version; Brown/green commando with civ colour helmet;

And here is a gif animation, made with Flick2gif so expect better quality in the actual unit;

Attachments

• flic2gifani.gif
    flic2gifani.gif
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,329
The blue colour is the civ specific colour, this gives a slightly cartoony look, somewhat like that seen in the other firaxis units, but if you are after a more naturalistic apearance for a scenario just chose pastel colours for your civ colours such as grey, brown, green or olive.
I can also produce versions with different colour trousers to give better civ colour matches (for instance a german version could have grey trousers and a black civ colour, and a british/allied trooper could have brown trousers and olive civ colours- civ colour 21 would be good for this).

Heres a large preview for anyone who wants to make a civlopedia picture. Because the WWII units in the PTW expansion don't have pedia pics I'm going to be making custon picks for all the units in my scenario in a totaly different style, probably using historical pictures and photos;

Attachments

• civlopedia.gif
    civlopedia.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 3,210
Here is an example of how colour replacemant can give a totaly different look to the unit. This is a german version of the unit;

Attachments

• altcolour.gif
    altcolour.gif
    53.5 KB · Views: 4,992
Awsome just what I have been looking for.:goodjob::goodjob:

btw when is the other one going to be done;)

Here are the civlopedia pictures, if anyone wants them.:)

Attachments

• commando_civlopedia.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 288
Originally posted by Steph
Very nice!

I have two requests:
- Could you make a version where the civ color is not so visible, and a brown/green coat?
- Could you make a paradrop animation?

I second those requests.

How are you useing this unit? What piont on the tech tree, stats and flags that kind of thing.

I like it alot and I am right now trying to fit it into my game. :goodjob:

I can make a version where only the helmet is civ coloured.
I'm going to be including some individualy tailored versions for my 20th century scenario (when it gets done) which will include the german version.

I'm going to try to make a parradrop animation, but I don't know how its going to turn out yet, so I thought I'd include the unit "as is" and add the additional flick when (and if) I can get it to work.

As to how to use it in a regular game of civ, how about giving it stats similar to infantry, but with improved attack (sub machine guns are exelent for providing covering fire as you attack, and for engaging multiple enemies at short range) and reduced deffence (they are not very acurate at long range, so unless they have the initiative an attacking enemy force could quicky destroy them with mortars and rifles while not aproaching within their effective range). they would come slightly later than infantry, perhaps nearer to mobile warefare (the tank and the submachine gun were introduced around the same time).

another option for scenarios
Or if you want to make them commandos, you could give them great stats but fewer HPs to reflect their smaller numbers, This is what I'm possibly going to be doing, but then again, many units in my scenario have different HP values as its going to be part of the combat system, and players tactics are going to have to be adjusted accordingly.

for instance, rifle men are going to have good deffence and high HPs but low attack values, while assault infantry are going to have high attack values but low HPs. This means that assault infantry can defeat riflemen but will need greater numbers, (more units) unless the riflemen are in poor defensive terrain. The case will be the same for tanks which have good attack and deffence attributes but low HPs, so you should only use them in cases when you know you can win. Wasting your tanks by throwing them in to attacks against entrenched rifle divisions in cities is a bad idea, though in some cases it will be the only option.

This is as far as I can see the only way to simulate realistic WWII combat with the CIV III engine but it still doesn't cover all the angles.

What type of scenario are you making SM? Great unit :goodjob: Your "lame 3D program" has made some very nice units so it must not be that "lame" :).

Oh trust me, the program is lame, Ive just got a lot of practice at getting the best out of it :)

Ive made a parradrop animation, though I'm not sure how you use it.

Attachments

• parra.zip
    47.9 KB · Views: 201
Heres a little preview, again its using flick to gif so the quality is very low. The parachute on the actual unit has a very good colour, looks very realistic.

This is my first parradrop animation so its not very hot, I may make a second one later when I finish the scenario.

Heres the little guy (Ive removed the parrachute shadow as My lighting is different to the firaxis one, though you only notice if the object is raised off the ground by any large degree);

Attachments

• commandodrop.gif
    commandodrop.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,770
Thanks SM I think I will try to give this unit a low HP and high attack like you recomended. Thanks. :)

Looks good Smoking Mirror.

This Unit looks like it will be a good fit as an Early Gurrela. In PTW I have set the Gurella to come out in computers with a bit more fire power and have the Commando unit come out in Replaceable parts and use the same stats as the normal Gurrela.
Smoking Mirror, I hope the Next unit will be a one that I cant wait for. Honestly this was a supprise to see this unit here (Shows how much I have been in the Demogame To long). I wish you the best of luck on the Upgrade you have now and any future units you have :).

Good looking unit, Smoking mirror! :goodjob:

Your 3d - program propably isn't that bad at all - compared to the one I'm using. I'm not even thinking about making human-like units with it. :lol: Or my Pov-ray skills aren't sufficient ;)

Just in case no one noticed Ive put an additional link in the first post for an update of the unit, the Allied colours Commando (with brown trousers and olive jacket and a civ coloured helmet). The animation names are different so you will have to edit the INI file ( I forgot to include one in the download).

Heres a little preview of how he looks, I will also be doing a Axis version alng the same lines;

Attachments

• civlopedia2.gif
    civlopedia2.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 2,290
Originally posted by Smoking mirror
Just in case no one noticed Ive put an additional link in the first post for an update of the unit, the Allied colours Commando (with brown trousers and olive jacket and a civ coloured helmet). The animation names are different so you will have to edit the INI file ( I forgot to include one in the download).

Heres a little preview of how he looks, I will also be doing a Axis version alng the same lines;

Can't wait for the otherone, I don't want to strat a new game without it.:)

As for where to put this unit in the game, the Gun Powder Infantry Unit Progression could be something like this:
Arquebusier:

Musketman:

Line Infantry:

Rifleman:

Trencher:

Infantry:

Grunt:

Modern Inantry:

This pushes the current infantry to WWI and this new unit can be used for WWII. And if you have PtW you can use the WWII Infantry units as flavor units to compliment Smoking Mirrors excellent commando.

Top Bottom