TSG63 Opening Actions thread

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG63 Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. We are going to try something new and limit your game description in this thread to the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- How did the terrain affect your early decisions?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- Were there any early wars and who started them?
- How did you use your UU's? Did you find them effective?

I just played almost 100 turns.

-I decided to OCC to NC with full tradition once I saw the terrain.

- Of course scouting was the biggest priority, then food and science. I want to unlock the Beserkers asap.

- Pottery, AH, boats & writing then I lost Great Library by 2 turns(would have made it if I had switched the order and taken aristocracy before monarchy, lighthouses, philo, iron. I tried to slingshot iron and didn't make it. I did get the Colossus.

- I still haven't killed my closest neighbor, but I'll get him soon with cats and swords.

- No UU yet.

I settled on place, make a scout and found that I am on island. Did second city north soon, when I have a money.
I did small army of CBs and Swordsman and conquered Maya's capital, turn 106. He offerd me his second city for peace treaty, so now I have four cities.
Science: Optics, Writing, Iron, Construction, Teology
Culture : full tradition
Religion : God of sea, HS built 115 - the last religion was taken in turn 113.
I never had a Great Prophet without chance for religion. Any idea what to do with him?:mad: If I kill Mayas, can I have religion?
I stoped the game, trying to find out some solution.

You can plant the GP to generate faith which you can later use to buy a great person.

Spoiler :
i settled on the forest tile to give my ships the option of going east or west. One city OCC/NC and now have three cities. Been using Pacal for gold to fund expansion. Wonder whored the faith wonders to spread the happy before I go conquering. Turn 120 education now researching astronomy then on to frigates.

GotS, ceremonial burial, happy shrines, faith from wonders, IP.

to t 119 Education.

Spoiler :
Very slow start, i used lib finisher to get GS to plant around t88 thinking it will get more mileage than a bulb or even late bulb. Not sure about it though.

I wanted to grab GL and go for quick NC, but it was gone on t42 on King. That usually means one thing, and sure enough when I found him later he was wanderspamming like no tommrow. Which will be very soon for him.

Spoiler :

I got quite late t150 Navi and my frigates with iron from cap and a six iron i settled as soon as i saw it ( after Optics and Astro ) will give me enough of firepower i hope.

Its been the fastest teching king AIs i have seen, or maybe I am just that slow.
Got beat to CI and HS, so i have no religion but GoTS pantheon (4th)

Grabbed oracle on t88 as i wanted to either open Commerce and grab Admiral, i saved 1 SP, or finish liberty. In th end i finished lib and waited till astro to find everyone.
I am thinking t 180 should be all done but we'll see i am a bit light on navy 7 frigates, one caravel, and two privateers, I stupidly lost a galleas at Pacal's cap. Just being greedy again:blush:

I thought about going after him with some CBs and pikes but decided to keep my focus on Navi, a bit late as i built few archers and a horse. But i sent them exploring so not a complete loss. I really like Danish UA, especially for workers, i keep them in the water so they can land and improve hills on same turn. Not game breaking but fun :cool:

Attachments

• gotm63t43.jpg
    gotm63t43.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 720
tradition 2 cities to start. After scouting, I realize that I need astronomy to meet 6 other civs and like 15 CS. So it is standard water map game, beeline to navigation. The only difference is that I may use some land army to utilize Denmark UU.

I got GL after t50 but could not get G lighthouse and oracle.

GotS pantheon, but no way to get religion.

Too bad you got GLib, I was hoping to compare to a two city start. I had struggled with happiness bc of that third city. I think it cost me a lot of growth, I did not have cash for uni there or rather if I spent it there I would not have for all frigates and therefore no Oxford for Navi. That would have made a big difference, 14 turns iirc. Also I was thinking opening optics earlier might help as then you can train lots of galleases and level them up on Maya. But no point crying over spilled milk.

Setteled in place. Scouted island and found mayan.
Decided to go 4 cities in which one was NW at mountain and second NE next to desert for Petra. Fourth city at island up north by marble.
Used the pantheon for tundra, founded religion around 85 and took burial and cathedral to offset unhappiness. In addition did quest for the happiness CS next to me and made him ally by gifting some gold.
Since capital was kinda short of food I focused on Great lighthouse and Hanging Gardens, got both. After that libraries and NC. lost Petra on turn 101, so desert city will not be anything but rubbish.
Going to remove Mayans who has been utterly useless, always no money and had nothing to offer me.
Will attack with galleass and CB and when frigate upgrade comes time advance to open seas.

Settled on the sheep hill next to the mountain, forsaking Water Mill for Observatory since I had a hunch I was going to be beelining Astronomy anyway. My Scout and Warrior quickly revealed I was on a scrubby little island continent, Sheeplandia, and my hunch was right. Second city went into the middle of the sheep swarm for my production/Heroic Epic city and a third up by the gold/sheep/deer for the lux and sea borders. I knew Pacal would try to settle it if I didn't.

I tried GL, nope, and Stonehenge, nope. First non-National Wonder I built was Notre Dame, although Pacal donated Floating Gardens and Colossus.

I played completely nice until I got Galleas then sent them out to get xp while I was Oxfording to Navigation. Now I have the tech lead and 4 Frigates with Range, with 8 other leveled up Galleas just waiting for Iron. It's bomb-bomb-swoop in with a Spearman. Lather, rinse, repeat. If I had plentiful Iron I could split my Navy 2 or 3 ways and probably clean up by T220.

This was a tricky King game, with so little native luxuries and gold. Fun though.

First ruin 55g, second maps. Great -.-
At least the scout I've built wasn't as useless as I initially thought after discovering that without Navigation I won't meet more than 1 civ and 2 CS, as he at least survived all game long and did quite well exploring with +2 sight promotion and the danish quick peek ability (disembark, scout land, embark on the same turn to again have 3 or 4 movement on the next turn).

Top Bottom