Interesting Times - The AI Side of RFC

CFCoasters

Riding the Lightning
Ever since I got Civ 4, my favorite thing to do was load up Rhye's and Fall of Civilization and play it for hours until I had to either eat, sleep, or (rarely) do homework. :p But while I loved creating a 21st Century Ottoman Empire or blitzing through the Old World in German panzers, I found that my favorite thing to do of all in RFC was to pick a more laid back civ (usually barb-free Japan), sit back, and see what the AI chooses to do with the other civs. While some things I saw were par for the course (barbs over-running Egypt or Rome), others were rather interesting indeed (you've seen Persian Korea, but have you seen Greek Korea - defended by only a mercenary archer? :D).

In the spirit of this, I've decided to start a game where my civilization will not be the focus of the game - rather, I will focus on the antics of the AI nations, and will share these events with you all. I won't be going for a UHV, nor any other kind of victory (if I do win, it's sort of an accident). Though I will give status updates on my own nation, the focus will be on the other nations. This will obviously mean I will be entering WB a lot, but this is only to remove fog of war and see what the other nations are up to. Only exception is if i need to add a few units to my army if I'm about to be overrun by another nation.

I'll keep playing until you onlookers tell me in the comments that it is time to move on - at which point, I will start over with a new nation and do it all over again! This is intended to be a continuing, never ending story. I'll let you people decide what nation I'll play as, from the following list:
  • Japan
  • Khmer
  • England
  • Dutch

If someone has a better civ for me to try, I might add it to the list (try to keep the nation out of the way and/or small). You have until I decide to begin to vote (probably a few days to a week).

One final thing. I will continue to do this for as long as I can, but in August, I start college, so expect fewer updates then. If there ever comes a point where I cannot continue this at all, then I will notify you, and I'll allow someone else to begin a new story.

You may begin tripping over each other trying to vote now.:D

Then, if you want to focus on AI side, I recommend you to use the debugger then. Just focusing on global moves like Mr.X DoWed mrs.Y would hold in a single page.

Debugger is the utility (easily accessible btw) to see what the AI is up to.

If you want more info, raise your hand.

*Raises Hand*

EDIT: nvm, I figured out how to activate debug mode.

Playing as Japan will have the least impact on the rest of history, since they tend to sit on their island and do nothing. I recommend playing as them.

*Raises Hand*

Ok. :)

Follow these instructions:

1) Go to your Document folder and then follow that directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Mes documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword

2) In the last folder, you'll find a file named Civilization.ini. Open it with any text editor. Doesn't matter which one. Even notepad is enough.

3) Make a search for "cheat" keyword and you'll end up with:

Code:
; Move along
CheatCode = 0

Change it to:

Code:
; Move along
CheatCode = chipotle

4) Save it and start your game. I know RFC has no locked modified assets mode (that is worldbuilder available), thus this will work.
Make the combo CTRL+Z and bam, you can see everything. It won't notify you everything the AI is doing, but you'll be able to follow stacks more easier and see what they're doing. Far easier time than going to and fro in worldbuilder each turn.

5) Beware, you'll see the AI is awful. :nuke:

A suggestion what "could" me the experience interesting is an all AI scenario. Is that possible? And see which AI tends to get high in greatness. But since it's the same damn earth map, I expect the same tendencies.

Thanks for the help, but I found jdog's post on the subject a little while ago. I tested it out on a different save to make sure it worked.

If I had known that before now, I would have been using that a long time ago. What else have I been missing?? (rhetorical)

I vote for Japan as your first civ. And subbed!

I've heard of people just doing that chipotle business and choosing Babylon, putting a catapult on Antarctica, and plopping down an Independent Babylonian city, then watching how the world unravels.

Subbed

Here's a brief overview of how I'm planning my updates to be:
  • First, my nation will be given a brief overview of what has happened lately at the beginning of most updates. Every once in a while, I'll make an update based on the progression of my nation.
  • Second, every 20-30 turns, I'll give a brief overview of how each civilization is doing. Because I'll be going over every nation, these will likely need several posts due to the number of pictures.
  • Next, I'll give up to date action of how all wars are going, whenever they occur.
  • Also, I will provide full coverage (with pictures, if I can remember) of Congresses. If I am invited, I will accept, but will not bribe nor ask for a city. It is only to see what exactly went down at the congress.
  • Also, whenever a civ collapses or has part of its nation secede, I'll keep track of it. If I forget to mention one or two, I apologize. The same will be done for renewed civilizations.
  • Finally (off topic, I know), the game will be started from the 3000 B.C. start. No exceptions. I don't have the unlocked version, so if you people choose the Dutch, for instance, I will play as, say, the Japanese, until the Dutch spawn, and then I'll switch to them.

If there are any other questions before I begin, just ask. Be warned: I may or may not know the answer. :lol:

Please don't consider England if you're trying not to impact the game - not with all the various and random colonies they start. I've only played RFC once, and in that game the Dutch held Byzantium for quite some time, so they're out imho. The Khmer do some interesting things in India and/or China when those two collapse, so not a good idea either. I played as Japan, so I don't know what it does as AI, but with Tokugawa I can well believe it keeps out of things.

Please don't consider England if you're trying not to impact the game - not with all the various and random colonies they start. I've only played RFC once, and in that game the Dutch held Byzantium for quite some time, so they're out imho. The Khmer do some interesting things in India and/or China when those two collapse, so not a good idea either. I played as Japan, so I don't know what it does as AI, but with Tokugawa I can well believe it keeps out of things.

If I play as England, I will keep them to England and Ireland so their colonies don't exist. I'll watch from their homeland and if the other nations want to colonize where the British did, they're welcome to. Same goes for the Dutch, who I'll keep to Amsterdam (and maybe a second city in Denmark if someone else doesn't get there first).

And besides, it's not up to me. I'm letting you people decide which nation I should take control of. So far, I have 3 votes for Japan and no votes for anyone else, however.

On a different note, the only problem I have playing Japan is that occasionally my game crashes while playing Japan in RFC. It doesn't happen in regular Civ 4, or if I play as anyone else in RFC. Even then, it only crashes rarely when playing as Japan, so I don't know what's up. I don't have any mods for the game (except those that came with the game). Just a word of warning if I do play as Japan.

If I play as England, I will keep them to England and Ireland so their colonies don't exist. I'll watch from their homeland and if the other nations want to colonize where the British did, they're welcome to. Same goes for the Dutch, who I'll keep to Amsterdam (and maybe a second city in Denmark if someone else doesn't get there first).

Yes I know, but by playing as them you are preventing a huge amount of the randomness that is what your story's about...

Brainstorming some other options for people to consider:
- Greece always collapses, right? So if you take one out-of-the-way city in Macedonia and keep it going?
- same for Egypt in Nubia or Somalia
- or Babylon, in the mountains somewhere

Otherwise, willing to risk Japan...;)

You could do Ethiopia at some point.

You could do Ethiopia at some point.

I thought about adding Ethiopia to the list, as it rarely does anything significant (if there any Ethiopians on this site, I apologize), but decided against it. I'd rather not get overloaded by barbs in this playthrough, thank you very much.

Maybe in a future playthrough, but I'd rather not do it this time.

*sigh* If it's about the AI solely, why don't you just put your chosen nation inclosed within mountains? Just open the worldbuilder and make a paradisiac region separating your nation from others. It's about AI antics, right? Not yours? :confused:

Making it enclosed by seas with Japan would work just as fine. After all, if you enclose yourself with mountains, you free your civs' land for other AI's.

I've heard of people just doing that chipotle business and choosing Babylon, putting a catapult on Antarctica, and plopping down an Independent Babylonian city, then watching how the world unravels.

I don't understand the situation described...:confused:

Top Bottom