TSG65 After Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG65 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How many cities did you build and how many did you decide to acquire?
- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
- How did diplomacy go with your neighbors?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 65
Date submitted: 2013-07-16
Reference number: 29342
Your name: tomoliop
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1886AD
Turns played: 313
Base score: 1344
Final score: 2167
Time played: 2:54:00

That time played doesn't seem right... Very enjoyable game, a good one to part with GnK. Settled 3 cities, annexed Mecca from the very incompetent Harun. Other than that had two wars with Alex, who had a problem with me throughout the game. Lots of RA's, after managing to grab Petra I went on a wonder binge:). I didn't remember that you couldn't rush Utopia and I felt so smart going Liberty as my last policy tree... Was really hoping for sub 300 win... On a replay I maybe could do this, but I'm not gonna. On religion I had DF, tithe, bonus for Hermitage, Prophets and Pagodas. Didn't have a huge use for Maois, but managed to get some up to 3-4 culture that were within city range. Didn't built Ironworks and two Manufactories near cap, not sure if in the long term that would help for the Utopia. The UA wasn't fantastic, but allowed me to scout almost everything with the initial scout. Had Porcelain, signed tons of RA's.

Date submitted: 2013-07-16
Reference number: 29344
Your name: Monthar
Game date: 1854AD
Turns played: 297
Base score: 1546
Final score: 2620
Time played: 7:53:00

Alex got upity again with another DoW, so I showed him the error of his ways by wiping him out. The happiness hit from taking his cities dropped my policy rate down to 7 turns per. I should have just taken his peace offering instead of his cities. He was offering all his gold, gpt, luxuries and strategics. I guess I got greedy and it cost me.

I got my turns per policy down to 6, before I screwed up. The Arabs thought it'd be a good idea to use their new great prophet to convert their former capital. When I demanded they stop and was told off, I DoW'd and wiped them out. That put me last in military again, even though I had decent troops, Great Wall and Himeji Castle.

As you can imagine, everyone started denouncing me, which meant I couldn't trade for a couple of luxuries I was missing. Then of course they all started either couping or buying my CS allies. After losing the cultural and maritime CSs a couple times, I fleeced everyone who was doing it, Russia, Korea and India, denounced them, got my allies back then DoW'd them. After my allies killed some of their troops they all begged for mercy with gold and gpt peace deals, no luxuries.

Then Carthage thought it would be a good idea to DoW me. After takign the two cities nearest to my capital they offered a decent peace deal, but due to the size of those cities and the 2 cities I took from Alex earlier, my happiness was near zero, so not enough bonus culture and my policy rate dropped to 8-9 turns per.

I think If I had taken Alex's peace deal, ignored the Arab prophet and the CS thieves, and just killed all of Carthage's troops, without takign their cities, I would have remained at 6 turns per policy for the last policies which would have shaved 8-12 turns off my finish time.

When I started the Utopia Project it would have taken 10 turns. Using the Shrine trick I cut that in half. This was so much better than trying to micro a bunch of ever increasing overflow stacks.

Edit: I almost forgot the final screenshot.
Spoiler :

Yes you see 4 manufactories. The first GE was generated before my first artist so I settled it on the deer. The 2nd was after my 2nd artist which I settled next to the first one. The 3rd one was a CS gift and the 4th I generated the first turn spent on Utopia since I was running all 4 engineer slots to get as much production as possible for the shrine to multiply. Both the 3rd and 4th got planted on one of the Petra hills since that added 7 production to each thanks to the Freedom finisher's increase.

Thinking about the mistakes a bit more, I remembered that when I annexed Mecca that added a turn to each policy when I still had 9 policies to go. So that was another 9 turns I could have shaved off. So over all, I was set to have probably finished about 20 turns sooner if I hadn't started making these costly mistakes.

Attachments

• 2013-07-16_00010.jpg
    2013-07-16_00010.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 881
Using the Shrine trick I cut that in half. This was so much better than trying to micro a bunch of ever increasing overflow stacks.
What is that trick?

I will be posting my report later as I am still in the process of editing it. But I am going to replay it this evening and not build my idiotic 3rd city to the west -- a city which served little purpose other than divide up my territory and cause all kinds of invariable headaches when Alex came a knocking. You just can't ever build mediocre cities when going for a Culture VC -- and I should have known better since I did the very same thing in a recent GotM.

With the piety opener when building a shrine or temple the production in your city is doubled. This is on top of any other production bonuses you have in the city when building buildings. So at 100 production with just the piety opener your production would be 200 when building a shrine or temple. Since the shrine only costs 40 production you would get 160 overflow into the next item in the queue. So the trick is to sell your shrine, put it in the queue above whatever you're trying to rush, hit end turn and the shrine finishes with a lot of overflow. Then hit end turn again so the overflow is actually added to the next item in the queue. Now, sell the shrine again and add it back to the queue and move it to the top. Repeat this process until whatever you're trying to rush is down to 1 turn left.

Here's another screenshot of the final state of my city right after Utopia was completed. As you can see my base production was 149, but when building a shrine it jumps to 379.95 from all the modifiers. That means 339.95 overflow into the next item. The Utopia project costs 1500 production.
Spoiler :

Here's a screenshot from the turn before Utopia completed so you can see the production modifiers on the turns Utopia is at the top of the queue. As you can see it has fewer modifiers so only kicks the production up to 208.6
Spoiler :

At 208.6 per turn it should take Utopia 7.19 turns, so 8 turns with some overflow for the next item.

Here's the breakdown of using the Shrine trick.

T0 Shrine sold and added to top of queue
T1 Shrine completes with 339.95 overflow and Utopia is now at the top of the queue.
T2 Utopia progresses by 208.6 +339.95 overflow for 548.55/1500. Shrine sold, added to queue and moved to the top.
T3 Shrine completes with 339.95 overflow and Utopia is now at the top of the queue.
T4 Utopia progresses by 208.6 +339.95 overflow for a total of 1097.1/1500. Shrine sold, added to queue and moved to the top.
T5 Shrine completes with 339.95 overflow and Utopia is now at the top of the queue.
T6 Utopia completes leaving 145.65 in the overflow for whatever you want to build next if you continue playing after the win.

When I started the Utopia my base production was at least 7 less because I hadn't planted the last GE yet. Plus I realized on the 2nd shrine sell that I was still working the holy site which didn't have any production. When I first added Utopia before selling the shrine it said 10 turns.

Attachments

• 2013-07-16_00011.jpg
    2013-07-16_00011.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 848
  • 2013-07-16_00012.jpg
    2013-07-16_00012.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 856
Had some bad luck in the beginning which led to lots of wars. Fended off a few for quite a while and once I saw all the blood thirsty civs near the borders and like 20 techs ahead of me with fancy units......I declared on the 3 nearest and just watched them take my capital lol

Turn 353

Here's the breakdown of using the Shrine trick.
Thanks, I used it in my replay, but it only saved me 1 turn (since I had a small amount of pre-build as well) out of the 6 needed to complete.

However, I am curious as to why it is as effective as it is. Per DaveMcW's Hammer Overflow thread, "There is a two-part limit on hammer overflow. You can overflow up to your current [hammer] income, or the cost of the last item, whichever is greater."

So I guess you are not getting the full overflow, but only up to your "current [hammer] income"? But if that was true, there would be no point since the same number of hammers could be used on Utopia. Unless, the "current [hammer] income" factors in the modifiers when building the Shrine.

I re-loaded from when I started to build Utopia and confirmed that it looks like your overflow limit is based on your hammer income of the last item (the Shrine in this case), and thus you do get the huge overflows.

Conclusion: pre-building, take that overflow into the first turn of Utopia, and then using the Shrine trick you described is the optimal solution.

And right from the start, I guaranteed myself a poor finish. I settled in place on the Hill Coast while my mind was in full BNW mode where Cargo Ships and sea trade routes are amazing. In G&K, the Coast is death. Glad coastal cities are greatly improved in BNW (Lighthouses also giving Hammers to sea resources is another major thing that will help coastal cities).

Capitol build order: Scout, Monument, Granary, Scout, Shrine, GL (t42), NC (t58), HG (t71), Petra (t82).

Huge mistake #2: My late Shrine meant that I founded a very late Pantheon (and Desert Folklore was gone). I ended up founding no Religions and completely missed out on that part of the game.

Stole a Worker from Geneva to the East, and stole an unprotected Settler (which became a Worker) from Dido in what would turn out to be a very, very long War where nothing much happens.

Side note question: If you steal two Workers from City-States early, will your influence with ALL City-States degrade 50% (1.5 per turn even for Friendly ones) for the rest of the game? I've noticed that twice now (not in this game, but in the replay I did).

Founded 2nd city (Samoa on t58, just as NC completes) to the NE (towards Arabia) just NW of the Sheep, N of the Sugar.

Mistake #3: Since I settled in place, this mistake was actually ok since Samoa turned into a decent city. But going OCC (with River OCC city) would have been much, much better.

On t75, Pythogoras reveals the People with the Pointiest Sticks: I am last, but the good news is that the top 3 (by far) are nowhere near me! Dido who I am still at War with only has 188 to my puny 87 which is still nowhere near danger zone.

Founded 3rd city (Tonga on t85) on the Sheep next to the Mountain, just North of the Gems. I debated a long time on where exactly to place this city.

Huge mistake # 4: While this City would have been ok in a Science VC game, it was disasterous in a Culture VC game. I didn't come close to making up for the extra Social Policy costs. Not to mention that defending this City would be a huge pain.

Took Oracle late ~t89 (I had the Pantheon that gives +15% to early Wonders). Chichen Itza on t99.

Missed the Hagia Sophia to Korea by a handful of turns. I was essentially locked out of religion as a result. But Arabia founded a religion the same turn, so maybe not terrible. Except it was terrible since Arabia never spread their religion until very late in the game.

Pyramids on t106 (only took 4 turns to build). I only had two Workers at the time so decided to might as well try.

Once again, if I had gone OCC, a lot of my Capitol build order would have been much more streamlined and I would have had the gold to buy all the non-Wonder buildings rather then spending gold on Granaries and such in my 2nd and 3rd cities.

I only got 1 early Ancient Ruin despite starting off with a Scout and making a second one too. I did get 5 or 5 Ruins after turn 100 when my two Scouts found some of the larger City State islands. Of course, by that point in the game, the Ruins are pretty worthless.

On turn 166, I popped 1 GS and 1 GE, plus another GS from the Porcelain Tower. One of the few things I did right this game. Ok, from here on out, I need to start pumping out some Artists... that is, if I didn't need to start doing it a lot sooner...

Dido was eventually conquered by Alex which now put me in a precarious spot. I had the "friendly" Arabians with a significant army to the north, and Alex with his massive army to the south. It forced me to use all my spare cash to buy more Crossbows. What I really needed was for Hia to get upity and head north into Alex-land. He has 7 Cities to Alex's 6, but two of Alex's are tiny crap cities taken from Dido in her dying days.

Sure enough, several turns later, Alex declares War. Defenses are still a little sketchy, but I should be able to arm up quickly enough. Having built the Great Wall back in the day should be enough to buy me the necessary time.

I only lost a couple Pikes and Swords during the War with Alex because my westaward Tonga city was surrounded by Hills and had the Great Wall. Eventually Alex offered a Peace deal giving me a little extra gold. Just about everything got Pillaged though.

On t196, Hia and Harun ask me if I want to punk Alex. I reply that I need "10 turns" to both. I am actually ready, but am hoping they will DoW first and lure away some of Alex's troops so I can sneak in from behind with little worry. The War goes as expected with Alex losing his Hippo Regius city in between my cities. I make Peace as soon as Alex offers me a decent deal with Gold.

Spoiler :

Arabia waited until turn 204 to spread religion my way, so I ended up with no religious bonuses past the Classical Era for most of the game.

t205 Plastics. I tech'ed like this was a Science VC game for the most part. The tech paths aren't all that different, but still. <sigh>

On t239, Alex declares War... again. He comes with 6 Muskets and 3 Crossbows, but no Siege yet. I didn't really see that one coming, but a few Military City-States have gifted me some decent Units (including an Infantry).

ZZZzzzZZZzzz...

On t306, I finally complete all 5 Social Policies. I didn't want to deal with pre-building given my terrible late finish, so it took 9 turns to build. Ended up with 2 extra GEs at then end that I used for Manufacturies.

Turn 315 Cultural Victory.... YUCK.

The ability to navigate across Ocean tiles from the start led me to build an extra Scout and to eventually discover the second continent which allowed for more trade. Things were mostly peaceful on my continent so it wasn't as important as it would otherwise have been. Although selling all the extra Salt was nice.

I was friends with everyone all game except Dido (for stealing a Settler) and then later Alex on and off for most of the remainder of the game.

-----

I replayed this map as an OCC game and settled next to River. Posted a turn 260 VC (a whopping 55t improvement) despite having a little bad luck getting Marble as the "We Love the King Day" resource from the start (no one had more than 1, and none of the City-States had any). While knowledge of the map helped a little, I still built two Scouts like in my original game, and they pretty much explored the same way (not to mention the fact that I didn't really remember exactly where a lot of stuff was). I even teched to Plastics for Research Lab because... ummm, they are pretty?

What made the huge difference was: settling on the River (I was in BNW cargo ship mode in my first game), not building any other cities that would just slow down the Social Policies which is the limiting factor in G&K Culture VC.

I am glad that BNW will radically change Culture victories, because the current system is really flawed.

Turns played: 275
Time played: 22:19:00

Too bad there weren't really awesome Maoi spots - at the very least you can build them now over resources (like a useless/out of reach sheep which would otherwise have broken the chain)... that wasn't the case back when they were introduced.

It was pretty rough, towards the end I could barely hold off Hiawatha who had Battleships, Artillery and Bombers while I didn't. And from the Opening Actions (sorry didn't note stuff this time for the endgame) you can see that I nearly died already at around T150 vs Dido/Alex).

Dunno about that Shrine trick? You sure it works as good as you think?
My Utopia took 6 turns with some traditional hammer overflow usage (built Armory, Constabulary, GW Inf. and Military Base). City location was the same as yours but I had way less population (thinking 27 or 28 while you had 40). Nothing was added through chopping. Did you have Petra, Factory, Hydroplant and Statue of Liberty? But anyway, I guess the extra pop would make up for not having SoL and Petra (only few desert tile).
edit) oh wow, 4 manufactories? I had zero :D. Note however that you still had Maoi up on the coast hill instead of mines.

PS: Started with mixing Liberty, Tradition and Piety. Finished Lib first, then Piety except Temple Gold, then Freedom, then Tradition and Patronage + the last missing from Piety.

I had Petra, Factory, Hydro and SoL.

Date submitted: 2013-07-19
Reference number: 29353
Your name: Attaturk
Game date: 1645AD
Turns played: 239
Base score: 1984
Final score: 4221
Time played: 5:44:00
Submitted save: Kamehameha_0239 AD-1645won239.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Attaturk_C506501.Civ5Save

Settled in place. Scout - Scout - Scout - Monument - Worker - Granary - Great Library - NC - HG - Petra ... This was meant to be Artist / Landmark / Moai city

2nd city meant to be production monster on the river north, reaching two wheat, marble, sharing horses. Built Ironworks there.

3rd city was Mecca that I got from Arabs. It was Maoi city with so many coastal tiles.

Everything else were puppets.

My army was initial warrior + horse + 7 comb bows (1 was promoted scout)

I left one city to each of my neighbors, then I got irritated by Korea using spy to get my cultural city states, so I went to capture Seul.

Religion: Desert Folklore - +100g - production boost - Cathedrals - Cheaper Missionaries

Policies: All tradition - Liberty to smaller policy penalty - Piety to 10% reduction - Freedom - Honor to +2 cult from garrison - More Happy from Liberty - Finish Piety - Finish Honor - Finish

Was in permanent golden age from about turn 120. I was micro-ing my happy and culture so that I got my natural GA just before getting the one from piety.

GA history: CI - GA from liberty - prioritize happy building - GA natural - GA piety - GA taj - GAs from artists - the end

Utopia built in 6 turns
railroads
Statue of Liberty

Tech: Beeline Writing - Mining - AH - Calendar - (sailing to get another trade route, kidding ;-)) - construction - edu - physics -
beeline - Archeology - Industrialization - Scientific Theory - ... - Oxford to get Broadcast tower - Plastics for the wonders - railroad - Biology

I was milking AI for cash TommyNt style.

Initial wonders: GL-NC-Artemis-HG-Oracle-Petra-CI (2nd city)-HS-Temple of Djenn-ND-Alhambra(2nd city)

The next game is still BNW Polynesia cultural, right?

Easy or hard?

Date submitted: 2013-08-06
Reference number: 29459
Your name: strake
Game date: 1934AD
Turns played: 354
Base score: 1574
Final score: 2248
Time played: 8:49:00
Submitted save: tsg65 win_0354 AD-1934.Civ5Save
Renamed file: strake_C506501.Civ5Save

New to the GOTM, loving the concept. Have learned so many things reading these threads.

So early on I made my culture victory harder because I decided to plant 6 cities. I was planning on maybe 3, but then i saw the land to the west, where I could plant cities where I could have 10+ coast tiles each. At that point I decided to play with the Moai. By the end, I had close to 40.

When 3 civs found me within the first 10 turns. I knew I was going to have to expand quick. Capital was inland on the River, dropped 2nd city to the SE to pick up those luxuries. 3rd city was I think on the coast to the north to grab Marble. I tried to spread the cities out so each city got as many coast squares as possible.

At this point I nearly lost the game twice. i had no where near enough troops when Alex showed up. I bought walls, pulled every last troop I had down there. My city was at zero for like 5 turns in a row, but I kept managing to finish off his melee troops (sometimes sacrificing one of mine) before he could actually capture the city.

And then Dido DoW me as well, but luckily I appeared to have cleared out Alex's attack force, and Dido needed to slog through the jungle into my shooters. Then suddenly they both offer me a workable peace. I take it and run. I churn out 3 more quick settlers and a bunch of replacement troops, and settle in to build.

The rest of the game went smooth, a few more wars, but by then my 2nd city was an honest troop town, so I was generally in good shape for them. Somewhere in those wars I picked up 2 more puppets from Alex and Dido while the Iroquois teamed up with me to attack them from the other side.

From there it was smooth sailing until I was closing in on the end game and the civs on the other continent started throwing up spaceship parts. That was when I realized how much 6 cities (even with dozens of Maoi tiles used) had slowed me down. Well, that and all the wars. Luckily I wrapped up my last policy tree and Utopia before anyone else had managed to build anything other than boosters.

I just wanted to say again, it was such a huge learning experience to read about how other players approached the exact same map and victory condition. And it's eye opening to realize how fast a tightly played and focused game can win. Thanks to the organizers, I'll probably get BNW sooner rather than later just to keep current with these.

New to the GOTM, loving the concept. Have learned so many things reading these threads.
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. Glad to hear you are enjoying, and most important, learning. Best of luck in future. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom