Gotm 146

Ali Ardavan

Mathematician
Retired Moderator
Game of the Month 146: August 2013

Civilization: 2 Blue settlers
Starting techs: Alphabet, Burial, and Bronze.
Difficulty: Deity
Total players: 7; rivals are Russian, Zulu, Aztec, American, English, and Mongol.
Restarts: off
Barbarians: Raging hordes (+25)
Map: Medium (50x80) world map. Map is known which means that you can open the starting save in map editor at any time.
Starting location: Southern tip of New Zealand

Deadline: Sep 30th

Special rule: You may not at any point in the game own a city on the following land masses: 1 (Americas), 6 (Africa, Europe, Asia including Japan), 10 (Britain).
If you choose to pop huts on those land masses, you should save before popping each hut. If the outcome is an advanced tribe, you should keep reloading till you get a different outcome.

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

Please send the savegames only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

The download page can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Special rule: You may not at any point in the game own a city on the following land masses: 1 (Americas), 6 (Africa, Europe, Asia including Japan), 10 (Britain).

That was a really nice challenge you have put up there (I guess there could have been a better resource seed though ;))! I'm already far into the game since not settling on the main continents seriously speeds up the game.

It doesn't affect my game, but to clarify: We are allowed to step on the forbidden continents, so popping huts should be allowed as well?! In that case, save before and reload in case of advanced tribes, just as in OCC?

That was a really nice challenge you have put up there
Thanks for the compliment.
... since not settling on the main continents seriously speeds up the game.
That is intentional. We need a couple of quick games around here since recently most games get started about a month after they are posted.
to clarify: We are allowed to step on the forbidden continents, so popping huts should be allowed as well?! In that case, save before and reload in case of advanced tribes, just as in OCC?
Good catch. Thank you. I should have thought about clarifying that. Yes indeed you are allowed to pop huts on the continents and thus have to reload in case of advanced tribes. I will edit the main entry above right now.

There are plenty of one tile islands in this map and given the special rule I doubt there would be anyone NOT building a city on a one-tile island. Thus this is a good time to remind everyone of the following general rule that applies to all GOTMs:

One of the known bugs of the game is that it fails to check for the tile a trireme is on before deciding to sink it. Thus ending your turn in a one-tile island could cause the loss of your trireme. In such situations go back to your most recent save and reload as many times as necessary to keep your boat. It is best to save right before a trireme ends its turn in a one-tile island.

Where is the latest one? Put me in, coach! :D

Top Bottom