TSG67 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG67 Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. We are going to try something new and limit your game description in this thread to the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- How did the terrain and map affect your early decisions?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- Were there any early wars and who started them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- What Wonders did you build or miss out on?

Worst game ever... Lost GL at turn 43, HG at turn 83 and Petra at turn 95. What has happened to king?

I didn't know I was this bad :p

I misplaced my capital.
I underestimated the barbarians.
My only warrior explored useless tundra, and somehow avoided finding any CS.
Some unknown civ kept building wonders 1-5 turns before I finished them.
Pedro build five cities all around me and I couldn't settle my second city.
ONE turn before I built Petra, which would have salvaged my game, the poles built it.

I built/bought an army and attacked Pedro. That went well, but I am far far behind.

Oh well, I guess I'll just gather a lot of gold and bribe CS and win eventually....

Diplomatic victory is not my favorite in any case.

Shariff don't like it. I Took the port hill. I scored Colossus and HG and NC. I'm at 102 now focusing on growth then consulates to seal it.

A very different game for me. I settled on the cotten, not sure if it was the right move but it seems to be working ok. Any advice on what's wrong or right about that move? I didn't want to move all the way to the ocean, i figured if it was another Arch map I would be building another city anyway.

My early scout did a good job finding 3 CS before anyone else. I built up more military then I usually do because I knew I wanted to protect my trade routes. I went Liberty and built a settler at about the same time as I got the free one. Built one City to the north and one to the SE because Brazil stole the spot I wanted next ot the horses. When I finished Liberty at about the same time as I got the composite bows and my first Catapault I got a GE to build the terracotta army. I then took one Brazil City and they gave me another for peace. I messed up my happiness a little bit and had 5 turns of unhappiness. I have now started Patronage. I think I'm well on my way to getting a victory. And I might be able to get a middle of the pack score =)

What an ugly starting position! I settled southeast on the river on the hill as I didn't want to move north into the tundra. I went liberty and settled 2 in the desert area, 1 further east near the copper, and another next to lake victoria. Managed to be the first to a pantheon with only a late shrine and meeting one religious CS, so I was able to get desert folklore for my 3 southern satellites. Took tithe, pagodas, monasteries, itinerant preachers. Unfortunately one of the ai's beelined petra.

Finished liberty, will go patronage to lock down those CS.

Moved 4 turns to a desert hill on a river directly north of Rio. I'm only going to play with one city, so I want it to be good. Slow start and lost GLib T43. That's quicker than average for King, but oh well. The civ that finished the Glib lost its capital in the first 100 turns. haha. :nya:

Got desert folklore pantheon and SHenge, NC and Petra, and Oracle. Founded religion ~T72 and enhanced ~T96. tithe, religious community, swords to plowshares, religious texts.

Finishing off Tradition then moving to Patronage/Consulates.

Missing Glibrary really slowed me down, and the barbs have been extra annoying for King.

But I'm glad I moved to the desert because my one city is going to be a powerhouse eventually. And it's closer for trade routes than the original spot.

cas

I've played a lot of Morocco and I think focusing on religion and desert with them is wrong. They are first and foremost for trade. You can always expand into the desert later and use it as a buffer.

I've played a lot of Morocco and I think focusing on religion and desert with them is wrong. They are first and foremost for trade. You can always expand into the desert later and use it as a buffer.

Did not want to expand...was playing one city. Given the semi-crap start location, I'm glad I moved.

cas

Moved to settle on the first desert square on the coast. It looked like a decent long term spot. As I quickly learned it was a horrible spot on the short term. My hammers and food sucked for the first 50 turns. About 5 turns into the game, I realized what a mistake I had made. In retrospect I should have taken the hill on the river coast, or stayed inland.

I somehow managed to get a GL-NC but I've been beat to every wonder since then. I usually have better luck getting Petra in a decent timeframe getting the NC first, but I got beat to the Petra by a couple turns. And someone else built Colossus even before Petra, so that's 2 trade routes down the tubes.

Definitely off to one of my worst starts, and as I think about it, the bulk of the pain comes down to a poorly thought out choice for where to drop the capital. I did manage desert folklore pantheon, but that's about the only other bright spot. Oh and 3 barbarian camps spawned within 6 hexes of my capital, so I have been swarmed. I must have repaired the wheat 5 times already. Oh well.

So in an attempt to Salvage the game, I'm using the money from missing the Petra to buy a catapult to jump start my army. Brazil's 3rd city is in a nice location, so I think I'll see about grabbing that. Also Trireme is heading out to see if there's a decent island nearby. Already want to play this one through a 2nd time. :)

Moved on the hill next to coast. There was no 2 food tiles around so i projected to make a settler as soon as i hit 2 :c5citizen:.

Went Tradition. Started with Monument(no ruins)-scout-shrine-settler-granary

Stole a worker to Brazil around the turn 15(kept warrior around and wait). I minimized my number of troops but had to rush buy 2 archers pretty fast because barbs were a bit too annoying. Had to get some of them for Brazil later.

Rush bought 1 worker and stole 1 from cs so i runned with 3 workers for a while with 2 cities. I took DF pantheon thinking that i could settle on the desert spot south of me but Brazil got it faster :( So i settled near the Lake Victoria and aimed for the NC.

I built 3 more archers and thanks to a DoF with Ghandi i could finance everything in time and made a nice army of 5 CBs and a scout to capture Sao Paulo and Brazilia, 2 very nice spots. I already annexed Brazilia and will plan to annex Sao Paulo when i will have a spare 600 :c5gold:.

The Mayans settled right of Brazilia when a settler was on his way for that spot. So i DoWed him too and burned his city to replace it with one of mine. Ghandi stopped to like me at that point.

Then it was grow up time aiming for Education, that i got on turn 118. 15 turns later i got Astronomy and 2 units and a caravel are going to explore. I took consulates from Patronnage and will go for Rationalism next.

Capital built the GL, HG, CI and HS. Missed Oracle half way, was projected to open Rationalism with it but an AI decided the opposite. Got my religion around the turn 130, enhance 1 turn later thanks to HS. Waiting for a missionnary to spread it. Tithe, +1 food from religious buildings, +15 prod and +15% growth when at peace and Religious Idols are my picks. If i had knew i would have take dance of aurora instead. But, for the long term, i will certainly get more faith from desert anyway and you need them for free ge/gs later so it's really not that bad(thanks to HS, again).

Everyone is now really broke, making negative gpt since a dozen of turns. The king AI is really, really bad at making gold during mid game. You definitively need to suck maximum gold before it happens.

Spoiler :

Bah, unlucky game for me so far! I rushed a NC, then Petra in Rabat.... How could that have gone wrong? :(

Anyway

T60 Started building NC and purchased a settler on the same turn, could have saved on buying the settler but I have to beat Brazil from taking my second city location. 3 Warriors at the moment trying to block the Brazilian settler. I don't want to have to DOW this early.....

T71 DOW'd Brazil, They founded that darned city while I had warriors circled on it. Oh well, terrible location at least. I walked their worker as they tried to send him over to aid their new city.

T74 finished NC and founded my second city of Rabat. Still no caravan up, rushing 'twords Petra. Doubtful that I will get it at this pace.

T90 still at war with Brazil, haven't lost and/or killed any units... Sitting on 4 warriors and no ranged units, it's a stare off! Got some units being built in capital. Got my caravan and had to use it to feed food to Rabat, which could aide it in finishing Petra in time I hope!

T95 I like stealing his workers I suppose. Just stole 2 workers in a drive-by with my chariot archer, lost a warrior adding ZoC so my chariot archer could get away with it. Got 2 more chariot archers in que.

T97 Petra built in a far away land. Damnit! Rabat is going to suffer now, feeling like I should conquer Rio De Janeiro to make up for the wasted time.

Spoiler :

Since there were cotton and incense tiles already, I knew that those are two lux near there - and I really don't like tundra and no 2f tiles starting. So I sent my warrior to search west coast. I guessed that there would be nice petra-start desert tiles NE as SW of the starting point was pure desert tiles.

My settler did not find good petra spot, but after spending 2 turns I could settle near dear, 2 stones, and ivory. One lux could be a problem, but I was going tradition it would be fine. The best part was that I can build observatory later - I love observatory.

I found 3f wheat at 3rd ring too, and met Brazil. I haven't played King at BNW yet, so I didn't know when his worker would come out. I just waited with my initial warrior 2 tiles from the copper tile and finally at t17 worker appeared. I took it and waited at the same spot. t24 I took another one - I guess one of them was from citizenship. Made peace.

I went monument - scout - granary - GL-NC (bought one archer) - settler - shrine - archer (caravan bought) - settler - HG - caravan - university/writer's guild - oracle.

Pacal took lots of wonders, including HS and CI. I was so worried about delaying oracle, but his cap at least was not building it, so I gambled. I lost petra (2nd city) around t95 to unknown civ - it seems that lots of people had the same experience.

I used first caravan to do CS quest (cannot do sci caravan like in deity...) and later used two caravans to grow 2nd and 3rd cities faster. I could not find a good spot for the 4th city - one possibility was tundra hill near 6food NW but I just don't like tundra. I settled 3rd city at the coastal hill to claim all 3 iron tiles.

Entered renaissance with astro at t123 - oracle to open rati and used GW to get secularism fast. spt is 166 and pops are 19 9 8. 2nd city still does not have uni (damn petra!)

Attachments

• 2013-08-17_00002.jpg
    2013-08-17_00002.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 234
slow, bit clueless start.

Ended up on the west coast hill despite my concern over lack of food. I went tradition to support the lack of food and plan was to plop a city to the SE river on the hill and hopefully get petra in there and then another on the east coast somewhere so that I'd have a trade access on both coasts.

beelined maths for the HG; missed out on petra by a long way and have only just got my NC up and running T110. 2 of my 3 trades so far are into Riga and cape town as city quest to get them allies for the extra food.

Only recently just placed my 4th city by victoria to get the fur up there. that city will grow like a bad man with the tradition aqueduct in there.

I've opened patronage and will oracle soon hopefully.

West coast capital is a mistake - there are no trade routes down that side anyway. I also thought it was a continent so still haven't met last chap (poland I presume).

Cap:
Started by sending warrior south, didnt like what I saw, so settler ended up on costal hill. Poor food, and planned for a quick second city to provide cap with food, as well as planned to support capital with GL, HG, oracle and CI.
Since there was only one fish, i didnt care for G-lighthouse or colossus.

Exp:
While scouting the southern desert I didnt like any part of it. No hills or production to speak about. Really not to happy with any of that area, and decided for Lake Victoria with fur and mountain/observatory up north east.

Brasil was just down below desert, so I knew he would spread upwards in the desert.
Allowed him to settle two cities which was to be puppets, not to be to slow on policies.

Policies plan: tradition open + wonders + ranged def (barbs were causing an issue), opened pat, then right side + finish trad. going forwards will do rat and rest of pat.
Science is slow, hopefully city state allies will give a boost.

Religion: since there was plenty of incense i wanted the combo of pantheon and building with modifiers for incense. furthermore to get tithe for gold. From build order i made shrine before granary to get the early pantheon.

BO: monument, scout (made him second cuz no ruins), shrine, GL, archer, settler (bought), caravan (bought), archer, archer, HG, spear,

Turn:
20 DOW Brasil - stole worker. Didnt agree on peace, since I knew I would fight him sooner than later..
25: pantheon Godess of festival
53: GL, was very late, but 3 barbs at cap. and no real defence up there made it slow..
Assyria helped out here by pestering the southern part of the map..
86 Religion founded.
87 HG
98: took Sao Poaulo
Oracle
106: accepted Salvador in peace deal.
CI
130 Religion Enhanced: goodes of fest. tithe, monasteries, mosques, religious texts.

Still NC didnt complete do to war, so completing that now. Happy with empire, gotta grow and get science up and running.
Btw three iron in cap. was a really nice surprise
How do I attach a screenshot in here?

t130 acoustics.. really slow game. settled on the river hill next to cotton because i didnt want to gamble with the settler. felt like quitting right after seeing that mountain spot a turn later.

anyways stole worker from brazil - had his first on t24 for some reason so i waited about 10 turns. hence my scouting suffered, i havent met gandhi as some here have. my scout waited in city to kill barbs and gain lvl 2 sight right away (had to protect workers anyways).

went monument - scout - shrine - worker - settler - granary - library - NC

no time nor hammers for any wonders, my cap is garbage but growing nicely. rabat is SW in the desert (River hill), fes is up next to victoria (mountain) and 4th city will be up on mountain hill (will mb get another on coast). missed oracle (pacal.. :mad:) and will likely miss HS. didnt even try HG.

t118 edu was very late, at least i had money to buy uni at cap. policy timing is smooth, straight into ratio as i got very unlucky with the CSes. will have 2 cultural allies the turn after ren so secularism will hopefully come quickly.

way behind glory..

Worst game ever... Lost GL at turn 43, HG at turn 83 and Petra at turn 95. What has happened to king?

So it's not just me:blush:

GL t43, didn't even try HG, beelined Petra, lost with three turns at t96.

I think no WoAW made early wonders harder to get. I guess we will have to revise our expectations. :goodjob: AIs

So it's not just me:blush:

Lost GL t42, didn't even try HG, beelined Petra, lost with three turns at t96.

I think no WoAW made early wonders harder to get. I guess we will have to revise our expectations. :goodjob: AIs

Settler on river hill next to ivory, after wondering the desert hoping for some hills. Stole Pedros worker, he hid the other one, seriously I had my scout walk all around his land and could not see it, the minute I agree to peace for copper it reappears.

Was slow to develop with only one worker, rushed settler after NC, and decided to beeline edu before dealing with Pedro for good.

T119 edu, and 129 rationalism with acoustics. :rolleyes: I really suck at BNW early game. With five tiles between my cap and Pedros i still lose my caravan to barbs, and could not afford another on as I tried for Petra. At least I had cash for two Unis. Had to avoid doing a CS quest as my culture is outpacing my science, that would have been 105 influence with Kyzyl, what a waste, I killed the worker to deny it to Darius who took the hut.:mad: but otherwise I would have to wait 20+ turns for ratio and I already have consulates. (oracle)

Pedro built me some pyramids, so now I have four workers

Slow start...not much happening just yet...My demographics are awful...Can't wait to start maximising my desert output. My caravans have been eaten by barbs

- How did the terrain and map affect your early decisions?
settled between the incense tiles on the coast.

- What were your initial priorities?
Built monument, worker, shine,switch to GL, then set up caravans,trireme,national college(T100)

tried not to send warrior too far, thought would scout with boats later, ended up needing to buy a scout to defend city from barbs. oops.
- What tech path did you follow and why?
Pottery (t11)- Witing (t25)(for GL)- sailing - mining - calender 43- animal husbandry - archery - Philo (free) -the wheel (67)- Mathematics-Currency (for petra)-bronze working,trapping,Iron working
- Were there any early wars and who started them?
No wars as yet.everyone friendly...Brazil might need to be forced to stop expanding soon. might build up some troops after Petra and Take them out. I can't see a good city spot thats free, and would like some of theirs.
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
Tradition - aristocracy, piety, organised religion, Legalism
- What Wonders did you build or miss out on?
built GL turn 60 - staring petra t100

Wow! Apparently I had more luck than many. I built my capital on the coast just south of the incense in hopes of building the Colossus and Petra. Went Liberty expecting to expand a bit, but Brazil had other ideas. By the time I had my settler they had already built to the SE where I wanted to. Ended up building Rabat in the Tundra by Lake Victoria. I figure war with Brazil is inevitable, and I doubt I build any more cities until that is taken care of.

I pushed towards Iron Working and Currency before worrying about Philosophy, so I'll have to play catch up on science. I succeeded in getting Colossus on Turn 97, and still got Petra as well close to Turn 115. Just started on the National College.

I got the first pantheon and picked Desert Folklore. I should get my prophet in about 10 turns, and I'm saving my Great Engineer from Liberty for hopefully Hagia Sophia so I can enhance right away.

Top Bottom