News: TSG70 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 70
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Seventieth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5, Gods & Kings and Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Culture. All VCs are enabled but results will be published by fastest Culture victory turn.

In this game you will play as Poland and lead the Polish Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Deity difficulty and at standard pace. Culture is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until November 1st to complete the game and submit.

You must have the Brave New World expansion to play this game.

Civ V BNW - TSG70 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Casimir III - Poland
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Deity
Game pace: Standard
Game options: No Game Options were selected for this game. Ruins are enabled. Quick Combat and Quick Movement are disabled. (You may turn them on using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.80. Mongols, Brave New World and Gods and Kings are required for this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Casimir III, you possess Solidarity. You receive a free Social Policy when you advance to the next era.

You can train the Winged Hussar, which replaced the Lancer. Faster and more powerful than the Lancer, the Winged Hussar forces a defender to retreat when it inflicts more damage than it receives. A defender who cannot retreat instead takes more damage. You must discover the technology of Metallurgy and you need the Horse resource to build them.

You can also build the Ducal Stable, which replaces the Stable. The Ducal Stable, in addition to the regular abilities of the Stable, grants additional Gold from Pasture tiles and +15 XP for Mounted Units. You need to discover the technology of Horseback Riding but you do not need a resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Friday, 1 November 2013.

The Save can be found here.

Oh this looks like a fun one. I have been playing along silently and checking strategy with those who already have finished the games for a while now. Just got my first two Deity victories recently. Thanks for all the tips guys! I think I will make this my first official submission.

Strategy wise I think I'll move the warrior to the SW hill and if I don't see anything then I am leaning towards that river hill just to the SE. The extra production will be nice and the Wine is still within reach. Hopefully there are horses in the plains to the east there.

:goodjob::spear::clap:
Doen't it look like the faint outline of a mountain to the south-east ? Definitely need to send the warrior to check it out.

i think it's a tundra hill, a mountain at that place would probably already have been revealed by line of sight

Thank you, thank you, thank you for a deity game!!!

Edit: considering to move on the close by hill, unless the warrior sees something awesome

Deity is Deity and Culture is not the easieast VC on this difficulty, but on the other hand, Poland is Poland.
Starting position doesn't look bad (2 calendar luxes, wheat) but not great either. Settling on the hill east of wheat would give nice early production but put Wine on ring 3. Would have to check what's south (or possibly north) with warrior.
I'll try to get enough self control not to reload anything so i can actually submit this one should i ultimately win.

Firaxis has released a BETA version of the Fall patch.

It looks like it will run for 7 days before release of the final patch. You have the option to participate in the beta. However, I do not know what effect it will have on this GOTM. The thread does tell you how to download the patch and revert the game ack to the public release version, so that is up to you.

I am posting in the Announcement thread so you all see it. Please do not discuss the patch in this thread.

Looks very interesting.
I am pretty sure the best times will come from domination like CV-s, but I will try to win peacefully.

Are the ancient ruins on or off?

Looks very interesting.
I am pretty sure the best times will come from domination like CV-s, but I will try to win peacefully.

I doubt one can win culturally on Deity without killing at least 2-3 AIs that are cultural power houses. For one you can't influence them and then also how are you gonna get all these wonders needed if not by conquest?^^ :lol:
Proof me wrong ;)

I doubt one can win culturally on Deity without killing at least 2-3 AIs that are cultural power houses. For one you can't influence them and then also how are you gonna get all these wonders needed if not by conquest?^^ :lol:
Proof me wrong ;)

The scenario we are presented with is probably not totally random. We must see how the map unfolds before we can judge.

The Hussar comes rather late for fast victory. Then again, on Deity it may just be necessary to lay low until that time, building up culture. Unfortunately no cattle in sight. If we can get culture on pastures, plus the extra gold that would be awesome. The warrior needs to move first, but which way? Probably North. Despite being devout Catholics, the Polish don't seem to be the best to go for Sacred Sites.

A pity they haven't addressed the sacred sites CV tactic in the patch notes. I see the rules don't address that here, so likely to see some lopsided scoring. But not sure if there's a faith generator on this start.

The Hussar comes rather late for fast victory. Then again, on Deity it may just be necessary to lay low until that time, building up culture. Unfortunately no cattle in sight. If we can get culture on pastures, plus the extra gold that would be awesome. The warrior needs to move first, but which way? Probably North. Despite being devout Catholics, the Polish don't seem to be the best to go for Sacred Sites.

But are they so devout that they would open the piety tree?

Hm.. I should give this a try but just the thought of Deity makes me quite scared :) The 2-3 attempts I made earlier in the summer resulted in being overwhelmed by huge enemy armies :p

Was Deity difficulty level chosen because the Sacred Sites abuse won't work on Deity?

Was Deity difficulty level chosen because the Sacred Sites abuse won't work on Deity?

I'm pretty sure GOTM tries to play at all levels, just more often the middle ones than the extremes.

Still, you are right that sacred sites shenanigans are more difficult on diety. Not only that, but I bet this map is a continents map, making the gamble even more dangerous. The previous GOTM was pangea, and the last CV was on an archipelago map. We shall see!

Top Bottom