Gotm 148

Ali Ardavan

Mathematician
Retired Moderator
Russians in Dreyna

Game of the Month 148: October 2013
This month's game is designed by Inkerman.

Civilization: 1 Russian settler.
Starting techs: Ceremonial Burial.
Difficulty: Emperor.
Total players: 7. Rivals are known; see the map description below.
Restarts: off
Barbarians: The most severe level (+50) - many players may not be familiar with this - see below.

Map: Artificial 30x70, flat, seed 57. Mainly a single continent with start position in middle of large area of marsh and woods. Chinese are to East, Indians to the south, Spanish to the south-west, Germans to the west. The Japanese and the English are on islands. Huts on forest and mountains have been removed. The many local huts
are visible to player once game is opened.

Inspired by GotM 121 "Sherwood Forest" (set by Magic). This was one of the games in my first year here, and I think it was the most talked about and enjoyed game of 2011.
1. I have aimed to make this one less time-consuming by using
a) a smaller map
b) better terrain i.e the starting area is largely marsh rather than forest as in GotM 121, and there is plenty of irrigation possible.
2. Barbarians are the level worse than barbarian hordes, sometimes called barbarian wrath. References say villages and pirates are the same as with the raging
hordes setting. Rebel bands, if and when they occur, are much larger, however, being
75 to 100 units, in the usual types. (Horsemen and chariots before gunpowder, then elephants and archers until industrialization etc.) Leaders are worth 200g if captured.
Also Barbarian cities and units are democratic and so cannot be bribed.

Note.
The barbarian factor and the many huts available to the player mean this is not going to be any more "fair" than several other recent games.
Players who prefer to explore will not be at a big disadvantage if they do not look at the .jpg (world map) file.

Deadline: Nov 30th

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

You can download the game here.

Please send the savegames only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

The download page can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never played on Barbarian Wrath before. Is the democratic aspect a normal part of Barbarian Wrath, or is this just a special treat for this GOTM?

I know I set this game, but could I check if it is OK to open the save game in the Map Editor, as is customary for "known map" games?

I do not think that will make a big difference compared to chance factors, and do not plan to do this myself, but then I created the map which comes to much the same thing.

I know I set this game, but could I check if it is OK to open the save game in the Map Editor, as is customary for "known map" games?
What do you mean by "check" and "OK" in the above?

Any game file can be opened in the map editor. The terrain will be revealed but not the player starting positions. Since we see a zoomed out version of the map and a great area around our starting position, there is little more than can be gained by opening the map in the map editor. If what you meant above is whether it is too late to turn this to a known map I say no it is not too late. Let us know by responding here and I will edit the first post to reflect that.

Thanks for the clarification: I am content with the way things are.

Judging from the spoiler there are still several of us playing. I would like to propose a 2 week extension please.

Barbarians are the level worse than barbarian hordes, sometimes called barbarian wrath. References say villages and pirates are the same as with the raging
hordes setting. Rebel bands, if and when they occur, are much larger, however, being
75 to 100 units, in the usual types. (Horsemen and chariots before gunpowder, then elephants and archers until industrialization etc.) Leaders are worth 200g if captured.
I have just played to +1000 and have not seen a single occurrence of uprisings/rebel bands. It is quite unlikely for them to appear at this point with 60 cities covering the main island.

From the spoiler it looks like only some players saw them and then just once. Apparently the world has to be larger for this to happen.

Top Bottom