NEWS: TSG71 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 71
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Seventy-first game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomacy. All VCs are enabled but results will be published by fastest Diplomacy victory turn.

In this game you will play as Venice and lead the Venetian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Prince difficulty and at standard pace. Diplomacy is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until November 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V BNW - TSG71 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: - Enrico Dandolo - Venice
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Prince
Game pace: Standard
Game options: There are NO BARBARIANS. Quick Combat and Quick Movement are enabled. (You may turn them off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.142. NO DLC are required for this game but the Gods and Kings expansion is required.

In this game, you will be playing as Enrico Dandolo, you possess Serenissima. You cannot gain settlers nor annex cities. Double the normal number of trade routes available. A Merchant of Venice appears after researching Optics. May purchase in puppeted cities..

You can build the Great Galleas. The Great Galleass is the Galleass replacement and has a stronger ranged attack, is more resilient in battle, and is more costly than the base Galleass. May only be built by the Venetians.

You can acquire the Merchant of Venice. It a unique Great Person and you will get one for free when you research Optics. Aside from the ability to Conduct a Trade Mission, the Merchant of Venice can purchase City-States outright, bringing them under Venetian control as a Puppet. Only Venice may acquire them.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Friday, 15 November 2013.

The Save can be found here.

Very powerful and even a desert tile available.

Wait - no barbs means no trade route disruptions.

Thanks for pointing out there are no barbs, bud. I tend to oversee or forget this by when I start the game :D

However I do not see a desert tile there? Looks all plain to me (pun intended).

My Warrior will go to the top. I think I can see that there is water behind these hills (in game it should be easier to see than on the pic) but I wanna know if/how many sea resources there maybe are in city range. In case there are non I'll most likely move the settler to the southern hill (and still have my "canal" Venice).

I can't make out a desert tile either. Maybe I'll have to load the start and see closer. Is it one of the mountains above?

Moving the warrior north is a no-brainer. And then probably the settler south. There'd have to be something really fantastic to make me move away from the grain and sea tiles. There's a lot of food there while the hills provide nice hammers.

Never played Venice before, could be interesting. The dilemma is probably, do you go beeline to optics or do you try to get GL/NC first?

Never played Venice before, could be interesting. The dilemma is probably, do you go beeline to optics or do you try to get GL/NC first?

I will aim for the GL-(some things?)-NC first. At prince level, it will take more time to let cs build some important stuff for you. To boost Venice with food, you need 1 or 2 cs that have already built a granary...or you need to buy it.

GL--->Optics for free or Philo? That's more the ultimate question for me. An early lighthouse before NC can be valuable too...yeah i think i will get Optics from the GL.

The patch isn't required for a successful submission but not having it means you will be playing a different game with results being inconsistent from those who had it. If you are set to auto-update Civ 5 in Steam then you are fine. If you don't then I'd recommend manually getting the patch.

It looks like the north and west hills are coastal, so I think I'll move the warrior to the NW hill to see if any water resources are out in what would be the 3rd ring if settling in place. Then I decide if I'm settling in place or moving to the hill next to the settler.

Keep in mind the Merchant of Venice's trade missions yield twice as much gold as a normal merchant and gives 60 points with the CS. So a pledge to protect then MoV mission is enough to ally at least for a few turns.

If you go liberty, the free settler is a free MoV. Commerce will be more important for the 25% increase in MoV generation, plus Big Ben and the purchasing discount. Order with the cheaper building purchases will also make life a lot easier.

I never had a successful Venice game since i have no idea who to puppet or when to do it. This could be a decent way for me to gain some insights from other players' strategies. I probably move the Warrior to the Southern hill just to see what is beyond the fog. I am somewhat inclined to settle on the South hill though the difficulty being prince meant that i can wander around for 2-3 turns before popping Venice.

I would also think that moving the warrior to the south hill is not a bad idea. If there is good terrain there then i will strongly consider moving the settler there. The +1H on the city tile from the hill start will be useful. The fact that you can pass boats/ trade routes through your city from one coast to another might prove useful.

Hmm, could this be an island or is that just a (in)convenient bottle neck to the south? Looks like I shall get an early trireme to explore. Two luxuries immediately, but pearls are not the best and marble needs masonry. I am guessing a lighthouse is going to be needed sooner rather than later too. Warrior to the north methinks, and settle in place if nothing better revealed. It still gives sea access east and west and that may be vital. Early sailing is a must.

No barbs means that sea trade routes are less likely to be pillaged.

I haven't played GOTM for a while and definitely not Venice. Should be interesting.

After getting thumped by Assyria, and abandoning last game, hopefully this goes better! I'll probably settle on the southern hill unless my warrior sees something different for me.

This looks like fun !! I haven't played Venice before.

Quick question: If you puppet a CS, do you "inheret" the specialites of the CS?

eg.

Puppet a Mercantile CS, do you get the Jewelry as an extra happiness resource?
Puppet a Military CS, can you build the Unique Unit ?
Puppet a "food" CS, do you receive some sort of growth bonus?
Puppet a Culture CS, do you get extra culture in the city?

thanks in advance

venice is fun, was looking forward to this. though i was hoping for a higher difficulty.

Quick question: If you puppet a CS, do you "inheret" the specialites of the CS?

nope, they just become regular puppeted cities, but you can buy stuff with gold.

Just noticed that the map isn't really Mystery. Or could it be they changed it to show which map type "Mystery" is when you load the savegame? Because the map symbol is a question mark (so it looks like it was created as Mystery). I'm 100% positive it used to show "Mystery" there too. Maybe a bug in the fall patch?

Top Bottom