Dirty pirate scum: 0, Righteous pirate fighters: 1

bhsup

Deity
The pirate ship S.S. ISOHUNT sunk beneath the waves!
IsoHunt, a popular website offering BitTorrents of mostly pirated material, is to shut down following a court settlement.

The site's owner, Canadian Gary Fung, has agreed to pay $110m (£68m) to the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA).

MPAA chairman Chris Dodd said the move was a "major step forward" for legitimate commerce online.

In a blog post, Mr Fung said: "It's sad to see my baby go."

Will this prompt any pirate crew here to change their ways??

This is good news.

Excellent news indeed :thumbsup:

Now if only they can also bring down the rest of not-Obama* controlled internet, it would really be something...

*the boxed set includes also assorted puppets and puppeteers.

This changes absolutely nothing. Anyone with two neurons to rub together already knows what to do if he needs something.

1. isohunt was kind of sucky anyway.
2. Presumably we're not getting the full story on the settlement here.
3. isohunt doesn't have the means to pay $110 million
4. The MPAA gets nothing from me until I get a pay-for service that's at least as convenient as torrents. (ie. Fully stocked catalog, not Netflix's pitiful offering, shows available to stream or download as soon as they air on television in proper mkv/H.264 format, no commercials ever.)

I have mixed feelings about it. Sure, people who can afford to pay for it obviously should. They still wouldn't be getting the revenue from the people who pirate because they can't so it's kind of pointless to go after them.

The MPAA and the RIAA are parasites. Zelig is correct with his point 4. Whereas my media consumption is so low I really don't torrent at all, that piracy offers vastly superior quality and convenience for absolutely no necessary reason shows you how industry executives stand in the way of their own success. That be drivin' me nuts.

As most are familiar with already, the issue is a lot larger than merely pirating software/information. It brings the question of whether any state can own the internet or parts of it. In my view the answer to that can only be a resolved No.

The internet seems to me to be the last chance we all have for any sort of future without the current degree of amazingly emetic disinformation going on by the other types of media, which are far easier to control given that they need a lot more material infrastructure to function, along with more people working for/in them.
I am sure some people view the internet policing laws as something logical, when they are presented with the repeated assurances that those laws are just about piracy or illegal contents of other sorts. However the internet is by its very nature chaotic, and no one can really make those contents obsolete even if practically the entire planet was backing him.

I do tend to think, though, that the internet as it now still exists, will not really survive any actual global conflict.

Moderator Action: Thread reopened. Discussions about the topic of piracy can take place, but saying positive things about piracy (and thus promoting or advocating it) is contrary to the forum rules, so avoid doing that please.

So we may discuss privacy, but only if we have no opinion or do not like it?

Moderator Action: Public discussion of moderator action isn't allowed, no matter how 'innocent' that discussion might be. If you have a question about a moderator action, please ask it via PM. If there is something to be clarified, the moderator in question might edit the action accordingly.

In this case, yes, if you cannot find a way to talk about piracy without saying positive things about it, then please keep your views on the matter to yourself. CFC has a zero tolerance policy with regards to piracy, which overrides any need for open and thought-provoking discussion.
Your rights to Freedom of Speech don't apply here.
You are welcome to have opinions. You are welcome to question certain subject matter posted on these forums. You are welcome to dislike a certain post or disagree with it. Though we typically encourage people to express their opinions and ideas, we have the right to delete yours if necessary, should we consider it abusive, inappropriate or not in the best interests of the community.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Oh right, they might be watching, got ya.

No sir, Mr. Officer, we don't like pirates 'round these parts. Nope. We are clean and respectable folk. :cowboy:

Whereas my media consumption is so low I really don't torrent at all, that piracy offers vastly superior quality and convenience for absolutely no necessary reason shows you how industry executives stand in the way of their own success. That be drivin' me nuts.
Channeling the Iceman there? :p

Top Bottom