The Great DoC URV challenge

ales_

Heir
If you have won a URV and have an earlier winning date or earlier winning date on another difficulty/speed combination, earlier winning date in another scenario than listed in this post (below), then post the following information: your save after the victory, religion, civ, score, winning date, difficulty, gamespeed, scenario, SVN version; and, if you want, strategy and screenshots.

Note #1: Please, post a save immediately before victory. If you post a save after the victory the winning date in the OP would be that of the save.

Note #2: You can't use WorldBuilder.

List of religions:
Religion | Civilization | Scenario | Username(s) | Difficulty | Speed | Winning date | Link
Polytheism|Greece|3000 BC|Rackham|Monarch|Normal|170 AD| Link
Polytheism|Greece|3000 BC|Chep|Regent|Normal|200 AD| Link
Polytheism|Greece|3000 BC|NoShameD|Heir|Marathon| 136 AD | Link
Polytheism|Rome|3000 BC|citis|Heir|Normal| 95 AD | Link
Hinduism
Zoroastrianism|Persia|3000 BC|citis|Heir|Normal| 1751 AD | Link
Buddhism|Thailand|3000 BC|2015|Regent|Normal| 1844 AD | Link
Orthodoxy
Confucianism
Islam|Arabia|600 AD|Chep|Regent|Normal| 1520 AD | Link
Catholicism|Rome|3000 BC|Rackham|Regent|Normal| 1787 AD | Link
Catholicism|Byzantium|3000 BC|Chep|Regent|Normal| 1680 AD | Link
Protestantism
Secularism|China|3000 BC|youtien; ales_|Regent|Epic| 1504 AD | Link
Secularism|Greece|3000 BC|youtien|Regent|Normal| 1090 AD | Link
Secularism|England|600 AD|youtien|Regent|Normal| 1580 AD | Link
Secularism|Holy Rome|600 AD|youtien|Regent|Normal| 1630 AD | Link Judaism
Taoism|China|3000 BC|Chep|Regent|Epic| 1472 AD | Link

There was posted no victories as the following religions: Hinduism, Orthodoxy, Confucianism, Protestantism, Judaism. Please post your victories as these religions to help Leoreth to know that they are checking and possible.

Then I'll make the start:

1472, Taoism (China), Monarch, Epic, 3000BC
(SVN599)

I have to say, I underestimated legendary culture. Everything else was achieved by 550 AD. Unfortunately the Romans got Mathematics earlier than me, so that I had no Confucianism at all! However I found Currency and Monarchy in Huts (plus Astro once the game was basically over)

I actually stopped playing in 1100 and turned everything towards culture. My tech-lead by then was enough to be crowned "most advanced civ" in 1350-1400.

I think the goals of "2 Taoist Civs" and "3 Wonders in the Holy City" are too easy. I had 10 wonders in the holy city and my maximum was 6 other taoist civs at the same time (Khmer, Koreans, Tibet, Japan, Chola, Mongolia)
Interestingly the Romans survived untill the very end (they were even number 2 in score in 1400 AD).

Next one:

1520, Islam (Arabia), Monarch, Normal, 600AD, norm. Score: 13055

I think this can be done a lot faster, I had not too much luck and did some stupid things here and there ;)
For example: I decided not to raze the Ottoman city whose culture later annoyed me, I decided to ally with the Mongols - who didn't collapse, so their Chinese cities grew and grew...and the Moors didn't want to become my vasall :(

also: I think I gifted cities away too readily, in the end I still had a stability of +53...

still, nice and fun game, Arabia is really, really strong.
Just build the Spiral Minarett and the University of Sankore and you can go at 100% research untill the end of the game :)

unfortunately my game crashed after this turn so I can only provide an autosave from 1515, the turn before I conquered 2 more indonesian cities and spread islam to another city in china.

I think either one is fine, I ended with 51 or 52% Islam. The Missionaries are already on their way, and my Galleon filled with troops are Southern-Asia, I'd say it's pretty straightforward :)

in 2 more turns I would have conquered Paris with its >10 people, I had actually hoped to end with that.

edit: gimme a sec, I'll just replay it and give you a final save
edit2: here it is, this time the missionary in china failed, but that doesn't affect the score or anything

I had:

Mekka, Jerusalem, Konstantinoples and the Indian one with 2 shrines. I also held Shiraz untill the Iranians spawned.

the Ottomans were actually fairly easy, I had researched Gunpowder really early, so I had 3 bombard, 3-4 Musketmen (with free pinch yay) and 5-6 highly promoted Camel Archers in Konstantinople when they spawned. This army could wipe out their stack and then I lost quite a few units to desertion, but I had more Archers stationed in Damascus and Budapest which could always go and wipe out any Turks that came to close to my cities. After about 5 turns we made Peace (stupid decision!!!) but my units continued to desert. I should have just razed their one city.

I had Gunpowder researched by the time the Seljuks harassed me and then had Astronomy before I could go and get a conquerer event :D

edit: I also always keep the area between Damascus and Konstantinople (basically all of Turkey) free from cities, razing what I conquer there

The Chep Show continues:

1680, Catholicism (Byzantium), Monarch, Normal, 3000 BC, norm. Score: 13032

I love playing Byzantium, they are so powerful, they and Arabia (600AD) are 2 civs that can actually be almost as strong as China.

For this game I want to mention:
since 1360 I was continuously in a Golden Age untill the End! (and I only built 1 Olympiapark so no cheating :) )

It can be won faster, but up untill ~1500 I liked my game, after that it became boring since all I had to do was spread catholicism and found cities, so the game feels like a boring domination game from there on. Still, the first Millenium made it all worthwhile.
I decided to forgo the 1st UHV and fulfill 2&3 for the Golden Age and used the money normaly reserved for UHV1 to tech ahead of everyone else and I kept that advantage. Capturing Rome and Building the Wonder that gives +2 spypoints per state-religion-building made sure, that I could always see what the rest of the world was up to :)

in the End I converted almost everyone to Catholicism, Japan would have been next, if the game had gone on for another ~5-8 turns.
I recommend trying this (and then maybe switch to a space-race or normal domination if you get bored)

I'd love if someone did a religious victory with a completely unrelated civ. For example, Brazil gaining a Buddhist victory.

I'm actually going to start a story sometime soon, where I do something similar. If I am successful, I will post it here.

I don't play lategame-civs as my computer is too weak for them (somebody here once called it a "toaster"^^). But I think I'll do some more with China (Buddhism, Secularism, Protestantism) sooner or later.

I think the Buddhist URV is one of the hardest, with Hinduism probably being the easiest.

I'm going to try winning Islamic victory with the USA. It will be extremely interesting to try.

I'll have to first go and conquer a nearby independent city with Islam, probably Djenne, switch to scholasticism (Ideally with no religion for diplomatic reasons) and then train one missionary from Djenne which I send into the Americas to spread the religion nationwide.

At the same time, I need to make 7 Great people in less than 170 turns, which should be easy. I also need to make three large regiments capable of conquering Delhi, the Taoist Confucian holy city (Forgot what it was) and Makkah. After I conquer and secure Makkah, I quickly send my seven great people to Makkah and convert to Islam at the same time.

Outside of the conquering, most of the game will be boring though, since I just need to amass missionaries and send them all over the world. With the size American cities can get to, I think that would make a large percentage.

I'll probably experience huge stability issues though, but I'll have to try.

the great people shouldn't be much of an issue. Great Generals count as well.
So when you conquer the shrines you should get almost half of the people you need anyway.

I don't have much lategame-experience with DoC but I think if you can afford it, the persecution will help a lot.

(also: are Jerusalem and Shiraz holy cities in the 1700AD-scenario? that might save you some trouble...)

I'd like to see your try, possibly with some pics from along the way.

Currently I'm undecided on who's best equipped to win the Hindu URV.
India, China or Arabia are the first on my list. Persia might work, too.

Oh really? I'll fix that.

Top Bottom