News: TSG72 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 72
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Seventy-second game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5, Gods & Kings and Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

In this game, the designated VC is Science. All VCs are enabled but results will be published by fastest Science victory turn.

In this game you will play as Assyria and lead the Assyrian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map (Pangaea) played at Immortal difficulty and at standard pace. Science is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until December 1st to complete the game and submit.

You must have the Brave New World expansion to play this game.

Civ V BNW - TSG72 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Ashurbanipal - Assyria
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 18
Map type: Mystery (Pangaea)
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Immortal
Game pace: Standard
Game options: No Game Options were selected for this game. Huts are enabled. Quick Combat and Quick Movement are disabled. (You may turn them on using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.142, but was reloaded into version 1.0.3.144. Mongols, Brave New World and Gods and Kings are required for this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Ashurbanipal, you possess Treasures of Nineveh. When a city is conquered, gain a free technology already discovered by its owner. Gaining a city through a trade deal does not count, and it can only happen once per enemy city.

You can train the Siege Tower, which replaced the Catapult. This melee siege unit must move next to an enemy city to be effective, and it is devastating. It not only has a powerful city attack of its own, but also gives a bonus to any of your nearby units also attacking the city. You must discover the technology of Mathematics and you do not need a resource to build them.

You can also build the Royal Library, which replaces the Library. The Royal Library, in addition to the regular abilities of the Library, grants a Great Works writing slot. Once filled with a Great Work, it provides extra experience points to units trained in that city. You need to discover the technology of Writing but you do not need a resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Sunday, 1 December 2013.

The Save can be found here.

Whoa, the write says Diety, but I think its supposed to be immortal.

Doh, not much to see as far as starting location is considered. Well, salt is always nice, but there sure is more than 1 ressource around. Probably going to settle on that riverside hill.
Now, i really wonder how to balance Assyrias UA with a science victory. Obviously you want to get high :c5science:/turn early, and that doesn't go very well with early wars. Also, you want to have friends for RAs. :dunno:
Maybe there will be some warmonger out there that i can take a few cities from to fill some parts of the tree left for later while going education. Or maybe going a bit more war-monger and try to steal edu (builder AIs tend to get it before the player on Immortal+), possibly making friend with the warmonger instead ... but warmonger make for worse RA partners now.

Spoiler :
EDIT : BTW, i have some stability issues with CiV on my computer currently. If i go to screensaver while the game is running, sometimes my display will freeze when i try to leave screensaver mode (plain old Win8 slideshow, nothing fancy). I tend to quick-save a lot when i leave my computer for several minutes. Is there any risk this would cause the submission system to refuse my save, in case i finally manage to submit. I was really planning to submit the Poland game but i stopped playing it after all the CS friends i had thanks to fast consulates (i took it before finishing traditions) reverted to neutral post fall patch. I think this is a good change, but not in the middle of a game.

Moderator Action: Better to discuss this with me via PM. Not really a good thing to discuss other ongoing games, especially in an announcement thread. Placed the issue in spoiler tags. To answer your question, quick saves are a save like any other. The concern is replaying turns, as long as you continue from the latest quick save, there should be no issue.

Whoa, the write says Diety, but I think its supposed to be immortal.
Yeah, cut and paste error. It is Immortal, just missed that loose Deity. :mischief:

It also says Mystery as well as Pangaea. ;)
It was a mystery map until the update when it showed the map type in a mouse over. Decided it was more fair to just state it than have some think it was mystery while others moused over and saw the real map type, seemed like an unfair advantage.
:)

Woa... dat starting position looks awful. I mean there must be something more, but which direction should one try to go? Towards salt seems safest, but there sure is a lot of possibilities for gamblng.

@ Bob: I'd suggest you disable your Screensaver - for a LCD these don't make any sense anyway. Just make the display go to sleep instead. Or well if that also causes trouble, just disable it for playing CiV; sure it's some hassle, but having your game crash is even more of a hassle.

The last time I played an immortal start with salt, I went Mining>Writing with a worker first. I was able to get the Great Library.

It might work here.

IMHO the logical start here is scout the SE hill with the warriror. You probably want to stay near the river and that will give you a good vantage point to see where to settle.

IMHO the logical start here is scout the SE hill with the warriror. You probably want to stay near the river and that will give you a good vantage point to see where to settle.

I'm worried there is coast to the immediate south requiring we settle on the marsh.

Wow. This one looks tough. I just moved up to immortal, I have never played as Assy, and I am not very good at early war. Well, I'm going to give it a try anyhow!
I guess I'm going to move my warrior E, SE on that riverside hill, to see what's what.

This will be my first GOTM then !

Will spend the first days training over the same combination on other maps though. See if for science how much warring is too much with them. At least it's immortal so no need to invest a ton to kill someone.

I have a question though regarding last patch, how exactly warmonger penalty work now ? Is it based on DoW or only number of cities conquered/razed ?

This will also be my first GOTM, however I have been following these threads for a couple of months now. Also my first time playing on Immortal!
The starting position does look terrible. I think I'm just going to settle in place and go with it. GL sounds like a good starting goal, and some scouts should be very useful on a Pangaea map.

Immortal eh? A step up for me. But probably about time I gave it a shot.

Hmmm.... not sure where best to send the warrior.
Will send him south to follow the river. If nothing is revealed will settle one tile east to work the salt immediately.

One has to place some faith in the map maker in these situations :rolleyes:

This will also be my first GOTM, however I have been following these threads for a couple of months now. Also my first time playing on Immortal!
The starting position does look terrible. I think I'm just going to settle in place and go with it. GL sounds like a good starting goal, and some scouts should be very useful on a Pangaea map.
Welcome to CivFanaticvs and GOTM. :wavey:

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

One has to place some faith in the map maker in these situations :rolleyes:
:lol:

You certainly should know better.... :shifty:

Top Bottom