Acquiring Machu Picchu via GG

Croc104

Chieftain
In my current game (deity, continents, Poland), Nebuchadnezzar is my closest neighbour and he has built Machu Picchu in his capital.

My border is right up against the mountain it is built on (two away from his cap'). If I procure the tile via a GG's Citadel, will I gain all of the benefits? Or do I still need to take the capital.

Apologies I've no screenshot - I'm at work at the moment, planning tonight's efforts! :lol:

I'm assuming that the benefits will not transfer, as the mountain is not within 2 tiles of my nearest city. However it seems silly if that is the case as Nebby won't actually own the tile anymore.

Thank you in advance! :)

No, you have to capture the city (I've tried this before and it doesn't work)

In my last game, I built Machu Picchu in a city that was adjacent to a mountain in my territory, and close to another mountain two tiles away that wasn't in my territory. Guess which one it appeared on top of? Even at the end of the game, my city never managed to border pop that mountain tile.

Don't confuse the graphic display of Machu Picchu with the wonder itself. The wonder is tethered to the city it is built in, and not to the mountain on which it is displayed (in fact, the mountain is only a prerequisite to building Machu Picchu, not it's continued existence). Many wonders get displayed on tiles outside the city center (how many times to you see Stonehenge built on water?), but you do not acquire those wonders by GG bombing those tiles.

That's actually a very nice idea for new wonders on an expansion or maybe Civ 6. They could produce a wonder tile that has to be worked and kept.

Now here's a question: if the wonder is under construction but all eligible mountain tiles were Great General'd away from the city, would construction stop?

Generally speaking, I thought that using a GG to build a Citadel near an opponent's city or CS, the Citadel would encompass ONLY unowned tiles. Anything showing ownership was ineligible for annexing to the Citadel. (At least, that's the way it worked for several Citadels that I built.

Now here's a question: if the wonder is under construction but all eligible mountain tiles were Great General'd away from the city, would construction stop?

I would think it would stop because the city no longer fulfils the requirements of the wonder to be able to build it.

Generally speaking, I thought that using a GG to build a Citadel near an opponent's city or CS, the Citadel would encompass ONLY unowned tiles. Anything showing ownership was ineligible for annexing to the Citadel. (At least, that's the way it worked for several Citadels that I built.

In G&K, you can build a citadel inside your territory or on a tile next to your territory. The citadel will flip all tiles adjacent to the citadel to your ownership -- you will get a diplomatic penalty as a result if you flip another Civ's tiles (but, they'll get over it in 4000 years or so :crazyeye: ).

That replaced the great artist culture bombing, in essence....

That does make sense though and could be a good question because it is known that taking away the mountain that has machu picchu or neuschwestein will still leave the wonder operational with a GG that takes away the mountain tile that the city used to build the wonder that required a mountain. The only thing that the GG in this case will do is not allow new buildings or wonders that require a mountain nearby to be built.

It is not unknown whether taking away a mountain that was the predicate for building Machu Picchu or Neuschwanstein will deny the builder of the benefits of a completed wonder -- it does not.

Agree with the view that GG stealing the predicate mountain while the wonder is still under construction would prevent further construction.

It is not unknown whether taking away a mountain that was the predicate for building Machu Picchu or Neuschwanstein will deny the builder of the benefits of a completed wonder -- it does not.

Agree with the view that GG stealing the predicate mountain while the wonder is still under construction would prevent further construction.

I highly doubt that stealing a mountain tile will deactivate the said wonder.

I don't think that by selling a Shrine you lose control of a Temple and etc.

I think once you build it, it remains in the city.

Think about it religion wise

You can pretty much purchase ALL buildings if you toggle between each religion with a purchasable building.

Top Bottom