Iron Pen

Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
As mentioned in the NaNoWriMo 2013 thread and The Great 2014 Writing Thread, I would like to try something new - at least new to CFC.

To explain a little history, some years back when I was a member of a different kind of gaming forum (tabletop D&D-type role-playing games), one of the members thought up a writing competition for that forum's writing subforum. He called it Iron Pen, and modeled it after the Iron Chef TV show (where chefs would compete to produce dishes that required a "secret ingredient" that they didn't get to know about in advance, and had a limited time to prepare). I was a competitor at first, and when the member who started it decided to step down from his hosting duties, the last competition he did was to determine who would take over. I had the honor of winning that competition, and took over as host.

I've wanted to try Iron Pen here for years, as I know there are people here who enjoy writing and would find this an interesting challenge. For various reasons the timing was never right - until now. We just had a successful NaNoWriMo last November, interest in writing has picked up, Plotinus gave me the go-ahead to try this, so now seems an excellent time.

The basic rules are simple. Each competition runs over the course of 5-6 days, and involves 2 competitors at a time. The objective of each participant is to write, over the course of 48 hours, a short story that meets a minimum length requirement of words (could be longer, within reason), and includes a "secret ingredient" - in this case a secret theme - which the contestants will not know about until the time comes to begin writing.

To give you an example of a theme that could be used... one of the competitions I took part in (and won) was when we had to write a story using the theme of cabbage. Another competition had the writers using a zombie theme. The hardest one of all that I took part in used the theme of... nothing. I found out it's really not easy to do a good story about nothing. But there are lots of ways to interpret it.

One critical part of this competition is that there will a winner and there will be a not-winner (I don't want to say loser, because in my opinion, nobody who is willing to go through a competition like this could ever be a loser). In theory there could be a tie, but in my experience that happened only once. The stories were so close in quality, the scores ended up in a tie.

This brings up the matter of how to determine a winner. After the stories are finished and posted, everyone will have the opportunity to read them and post comments and constructive criticism. There will be no trolling, no flaming, no "this story sucks!" comments allowed. If you don't like a story, feel free to say so - but do it politely, and say why. Part of Iron Pen is to help people improve their writing skills, and constructive criticism is crucial for that. Of course it's also important to say why you do like a story. Knowing what works is every bit as important as knowing what needs improvement.

After the critique phase, people may vote for whichever story they think is the better one. I haven't worked out all the criteria on which to base these votes yet - your input and suggestions would be welcome for that. Basically the voting should be based on several things: Does the story meet the minimum/maximum length requirements? Does it effectively use the secret theme? Is it an entertaining story? Is it well-written (as in edited/proofread for errors)? When the voting period is up, the scores will be tallied and the winner declared. I would ask both the winners and not-winners to be gracious about the results.

This will not be a popularity contest where a good story might not win because of who wrote it. You won't know who wrote which story until after the voting is done and the winner announced. How this will work is that the competitors will choose a Pen Name, which only they and I will know. The stories, when finished, will be submitted to me via PM, and I will post them on the competitors' behalf. After the winner is announced, I will say who really wrote which story - unless the person wants to stay anonymous. In that case, the writer's true identity will stay a secret.

This reveal of which Pen Name goes with which competitor can be an eye-opening surprise. Sometimes the person you'd least expect to even participate in this could turn out to have written a wonderful story.

To minimize the chances of people guessing the secret Pen Names, I ask now that anyone who is definitely interested in participating let me know via PM only, instead of posting in the thread.

I don't have a definite date in mind yet. This is a chance to get feedback and suggestions from people, regarding story lengths, types of stories, whether anyone wants to tackle a poetry competition (I tried that on the other forum and was pleased with the results), scheduling, and so on. I can't emphasize strongly enough that this activity requires commitment. It's really hard to scramble at the last minute to replace someone who backs out a day before a competition is to start. That's not fair to the other competitor, and is really annoying. I understand that work, school, and other RL things can come up. All I ask is that if they do, you let me know ASAP so something can be worked out, rescheduled, and there's no last-minute scrambling.

What I had in mind was for the 48 hours' worth of writing to begin on Mondays. At the end of that 48 hours, the stories are to be PM'd to me (I'll take early entries if you finish early, within reason - no entries will be accepted within the first 24 hours). I will post them, and the comments/critiques can go on. Apparently only moderators can add polls after an OP is posted, so this is something I'd like feedback on - whether to post the voting poll immediately or later. I'd like to give people enough time to really read the stories and think about what they want to comment on, and what they think of the story before asking them to vote.

So... thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? I know some of you have expressed interest in this - let's try it and see how it goes. I hope to make it an interesting and fun experience for everyone. :)

Why begin on Mondays?
Why not Friday evening so it is the weekend and people will have more wiggle-room to commit to the task.

Agree. Sounds like a really interesting excercise V D'U. I'd like to play.

I'd only be interested in voting right now, but if this takes off, I might try my hand at writing a tale or two.

Why begin on Mondays?
Why not Friday evening so it is the weekend and people will have more wiggle-room to commit to the task.
Good suggestion. There's no reason we couldn't have the writers doing the stories over the weekend. If that's the general preference, we can do that.

I guess I had Monday on my mind because that's how it was done on the other site. But keep in mind that we live in a number of different time zones, and that has to be taken into account. The 48 hours will start when I post the OP, which will be based in the Mountain Standard Time zone (GMT-7). What hour that is for other people, I couldn't begin to guess (that's one of the things it will be helpful for me to know when setting up these challenges). I will try to make the start times match up as closely as possible.

Agree. Sounds like a really interesting excercise V D'U. I'd like to play.
Thank you. :) Please send me a PM, as that's where I am keeping track of the participants. There are some things the competitors need to know, and information I need from you.

I'd like to bring to your attention that you are not supposed to publicly announce your attendance. Though this is burred pretty deep in a fairly long OP. Should be highlighted if it is supposed to be taken serious.
Everything I say is to be taken serious. :scan:

;)

I've bolded that part of the OP.

I'd only be interested in voting right now, but if this takes off, I might try my hand at writing a tale or two.
Fair enough. :) If you want to join in, please drop me a PM.

I need 2 people per week to run this, and ideally a third person who could be available if one of the others has to drop out or reschedule for some reason.

Also: If anyone would be interested in trying a poetry challenge, let me know. The way I did this before was to have the competitors write three different kinds of poems, with varying lengths and structures. The judging criteria were looser for those, because poetry is a much more subjective sort of writing than short stories.

Colour me interested. :)

Would you care to drop me a PM to confirm, please? :) I will need to know what time zone you're in and what you would like your Pen Name to be.

If I do participate, it'll be after my last final (yay January finals) :p

That's fine. :)

I don't think I'll be participating, but sounds like a fun competition to follow! (y)

I hope you will be able to read, critique, and vote. Constructive feedback is a very important part of these challenges.

Update time: I have one person willing to take part in a January challenge. Sadly, nobody seems to be available to be the other competitor! :(

It really would not be ethical for me to be one of the competitors, since I'm the one choosing the theme and length and other aspects of the contest.

So... If anyone is willing and able to take part between January 27-31, please PM me. Otherwise, there will be no Iron Pen challenge this month. Your actual involvement would only be 2 of those days.

Now there are other folks who have indicated February would be better, so now would be a good time to get those schedules set up. (hint, hint)

I'd say sign me up. but I honestly don't know how to send a PM
I've checked the latest rules - you've been a member for more than 5 days and you have more than 5 posts. So that's okay.

Sending a private message is like sending a note or post, but only the person you send it to can read/reply to it.

See my name to the left of my post? Left-click on that. You'll get a drop-down menu of choices. Second on the list will be an option to "send a private message to Valka D'Ur"). Click on that and you'll be taken to your message system where you can type out what you want to say.

My name should already be in the field for the recipient's name. You'll have to come up with something for the title field. My suggestion is "Iron Pen" (since that's what we're talking about).

Type your message. You have other choices where you can preview it first, and if you want to keep a copy in your on "sent" folder (always a good idea).

After you're okay with what you want to say, click the "submit message" underneath. The forum system will tell you your message has been sent.

Is this still going on?
There has been no activity since January, I can't believe there aren't sufficiently many people to give this a try.

I apologize for the inactivity. I've had RL things going on, and can't give this the attention it deserves for now. When things settle down, I'll get it going again.

Hey, is this living or something?

Top Bottom