[Deity] Stairway to Heaven #4: De Gaulle of France (Fractal)

pomthom

Drive & Reverb
Salut les Deity Dudes!

After my very first win at Deity in STH#3, I'm getting right back at it! Who knows, I might win this one without nuking the entire planet into Tatooine... :nuke: :nuke: :mischief:

Here's our #1 Dude (His Dudeness or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing):

Because the French are just cool :mischief:

Our start:

Demographics:
Spoiler :

And the settings:
Spoiler :

-----------------

Turnsets:
Spoiler :
Turn 0: warrior move and settle
Turns 0 - 21 (3160 BC): exploration
Turns 22 - 60 (1600 BC): barb spawn-busting, initial expansion, WW attempt, Writing is in

-----------------

So here's our situation:

Errr OK... let's think positive: that's a decent amount of forest :crazyeye:

I think the Warrior move will be crucial here:
- 1SE probably reveals most tiles but things look all brown and gloomy down there and it's unlikely this will give me information on where to settle.
- 1NW should unfog a minimum amount of tiles further NW along the river and give info on what I'd get if I SIP. OK but it does still look a bit brown over there.
- 1NE should unfog a reasonable amount of tiles because I gaze a bit less forest over there. There's a river that way too and tiles look greener so this might reveal interesting initial settling spots. This seems like the strongest move IMO.​

I don't see much sense in discussing settling spots until Warrior move, but I'm really not too excited by SIP...

Mesdames et Messieurs, what do you think?

---------------------

As usual you can shadow of course, just remember to spoiler map info that I haven't come across yet!

Attachments

• STH#4 pomthom BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    39.2 KB · Views: 191
De Gaulle, marble, lots of forests. I'm sure it will turn out alright.

*puts on fog-gazing goggles*

The north, west to east: Sea or lake, plains, plains hill, plains hill, plains, plains (probably).
NEE of warrior is grassland, E of that I'd say peak, maybe grass hill. The rest seems to be grass in the east. West and south plains again.
Given that there's water to the NW, I'd guess you're in the northern hemisphere. Might be fairly far north with all the plains and forests. So based on that, I would prefer moving southwards. Settling on marble for +1 :hammers: is out I guess due to lack of food.

Warrior NW I consider weak, we can already see the two hills and they'll block our sight. Even if there was gold, we don't have the food to work it. NE is slightly better as we may spot resources, but it's also flat and at least partially blocked by forests. I don't like the NE settling direction either, crossing the forests takes time and if we are indeed north, it means we're moving into a corner.
I'd favor SE for the warrior. It's a hill and the two tiles to its SW and S are unforested, so we'll get a lot of info.

OK interesting.

NEE of warrior is grassland, E of that I'd say peak, maybe grass hill.
I'd say grass hill cause we should should see the peak from where the Warrior is standing I think. :dunno:

NE is slightly better as we may spot resources, but it's also flat and at least partially blocked by forests. I don't like the NE settling direction either, crossing the forests takes time and if we are indeed north, it means we're moving into a corner.
Good point about being North, however the South doesn't look very welcoming... I'm not too worried about moving through forest, I can be on the green cows by end of turn and have multiple settling options next turn.

I'd favor SE for the warrior. It's a hill and the two tiles to its SW and S are unforested, so we'll get a lot of info.
That's what I was thinking. The only problem is that I fear the info will not really help decide where to settle.

Maybe warrior SE, if nothing there, move settler to the grass cow? Next turn warrior NE to the grass hill, getting more info about what's in the east.

I don't think you could see a peak from 3 tiles away, can you?

I don't like wasting settler turns without good reason. What are you trying to get with your capitol? It appears more likely to find a commerce spot with a later city, and with IND it's not too difficult to move the capitol later. Obviously a better food source would be good, but I'm not sure i would want to spend multiple turns and leave the marble just in hopes of finding something by the rivers that could probably be settled with a 2nd city.

Warrior SE does seem best.

yep, has everything for decent play.

I would beeline oracle-->CoL
Then spread if many neighbours are still faithless.

Switch to aestetics --> literature -->music.

Has very good chance to get oracle, tGL and be first for Lib

I'm not crazy about moving the warrior south. Knowing what's along that river to the north is more relevant to settling IMO.

Consider just skipping masonry to make the Oracle safer, go for CoL or MC. MC because you're gonna want to hope for nearby bronze anyway if no horses pop up. In which case AH->mining->BW->myst->med->priesthood->pottery is a pretty compact path for the Oracle.

Plains-infested start with only cows as food, yuck.

I think the area around your start doesn't look too good for your cap. So, it's hopeless to move the settler around because you will probably move capitals in the future.

I don't know about Deity Oracle dates but isn't it too risky to build the Oracle without some commerce? That's too many techs to go around.

(P.S. Not a Deity Player)

If I go Oracle I really think I'd choose MC for early cheap forges. Depending on my commerce output, I might actually make the Masonry detour because I wouldn't have to road the riverside Marble and its yield is decent...

Mids I love but I'm not seeing a lot of food around so meh for the moment.

Good luck, pomthom!!

I'm glad that you made it in the last game :)! I'll be watching your progress in this game, maybe I learn something.

Unless we find other food AH is first and that gives ~13 turns of exploration before any further decisions need to be made.

If I go Oracle I really think I'd choose MC for early cheap forges. Depending on my commerce output, I might actually make the Masonry detour because I wouldn't have to road the riverside Marble and its yield is decent...

Mids I love but I'm not seeing a lot of food around so meh for the moment.

Mids are definitely not something you aim for from an opening screenshot based on the fact that you're industrious.

There's a good chance those two cows are your only food if you settle in place. In which case it makes for a good early worker/settler/wonder pump but means you'll be keeping your eye out for a better capital location. Industrious makes that a lot less of an issue.

I'd go for MC as well. Cheap forges but it's also so strong for getting the tech brokering started, and you might even manage to stack up some serious failgold on the colossus if you get a coastal city.

So far Izuul and Thrar are advocating Warri move 1SE, while MegaLurker votes for 1NE which I also had in mind.

I'm kinda seeing the advantage of 1SE but I don't want to accept this poor food start so soon :crazyeye:

It's true that changing Cap is really less of an issue with IND...

For me, the relevant tiles considering where to settle are the ones SSW and SSE of settler. They are unforested (plains?) and I wouldn't want to move away from plains wheat, cow or sheep. I don't see anything wrong with SIP anyway, or in other words any big gains in moving the settler. It's not a bad start, especially for an IND leader.

The talk about tech path or which wonder to pursue is getting wild already. ;) AH obv first tech, but beyond that need more info. Btw I'm not too convinced with the idea of trying to build mids/oracle here. With marble and this amount of forests you can build/failbuild them aesthetics wonders pretty much guaranteeing a strong position. Depends on how safe you want to play I guess.

If there is a vote on warrior move, mine is NE. SIP unless warrior reveals the holy grail.

Top Bottom