[WIP] Sikh/Punjabi civilization - looking for suggestions and art help

Gurra09

Emperor
This civ has been released: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=535842

Hello! :)

I have started working on a Punjab civ to fill the void of no civ preferring founding the Sikhism religion. It's not quite finished yet, below is a little summary of what I have at the moment and what still needs to be be done. This first post might not always be up to date though, so the best way to see where this is at is to check the last page.

Sikh Empire
Leader: Ranjit Singh
Unique Ability: Sarkar-e-Khalsa - Still up for discussion. I have compiled a list of four possible iterations of the UA in this post that I would love some feedback on.
Unique Unit: Guru - Replaces Great Prophet. Can create a Great Work of Writing.
Unique Building: Gurdwara - Replaces Temple. +2 :c5faith:, +1 :c5food:, +1 :c5food: per Religion in City.

Screenshots, these are not from the latest version but just to give you an idea of how it looks:
Spoiler :
Setup screen, choosing to play Punjab,

Extra movement for my Worker.

A Guru is born.

Guru creates a Great Work.

Ranjit Singh leader scene!

What's left to do
Most of the coding is now done, and what really needs finishing is the art and a few other things. I put together a list below on what is not done yet.

Guru - The Guru has a problem with naming in that when they spawn by reaching a certain amount of faith they don't get a unique name. The unique names are applied when a Guru is born in any other way though.

Art - Most of the art is done except for a unit flag for the Guru, for the moment being it uses the Prophet unit flag.

Music - I'm also looking for some nice music to go with the civ (peace/war themes) but I haven't found anything yet, but I haven't searched a lot either. If you have any music theme suggestions, please post them! :)

Gurdwara icon problem - There's a problem with the Gurdwara building icon, here's a quote from a post of mine:
I seem to be missing an icon size for the Gurdwara building because in the list when you choose building project and in the small circle on map screen the Gurdwara icon is empty, this also goes for the tech tree. I have sizes 45, 64, 128 and 256 now, but I thought those were all I needed? Screenshot in spoiler - you see the bigger icon below but not the small one in the list. I tried adding smaller sizes than 45 (32, 24 and 16) but that did not correct the issue.

Spoiler :

Another idea I had was to later when the civ is done make a scenario of the Anglo-Sikh wars, which in the real world lead to the end of the Sikh Empire but who knows what would happen in the game. ;)

bane: as far as I know Sikhism doesn't have the castes, Hinduism does, so I don't think that would be a good UU. Interesting special power though.

AgressiveWimp: Yes, exactly like so! :)

As a UU, you might try a Singh:
Wikipedia said:
...By the sixteenth century, "Singh" had become a popular surname among the Maratha and Rajput warriors.[3] It was adopted into Sikhism in 1699 as per the instructions of Guru Gobind Singh; the use of Singh as a last name is mandatory for all baptized male Sikhs since 1699, regardless of their geographical or cultural binding.
Or maybe a Nihung, or something relating to the Khalsa.

Maybe Guru could be a Great Prophet replacement like the Mongols have their Khan for GG and Venice their Merchant of Venice for GM? It would need something special about it though, and then the question is what that could be.

Thanks for all the ideas you have posted already, now I have several things on my mind for second unique unit.

I'll work on something when I have time.

So, here is my ideas - ignore them, disregard them as trash, mix them with others, do what you want, they are yours to do whatever you want. :D

UA - Release from Illusion's Grasp
Your military units give you :c5faith: Faith when killed. Receive a 100% Guru production bonus during Golden Ages.

UU - Guru
Have a Special Ability that refresh all friendly units within 2 tiles.
Replaces the Great Prophet.

or

UU - Guru
Units nearby the Guru have +10% Combat strength and give your Empire :c5faith: Faith on kills.
Replaces the Great Prophet.

UB - Something to do with "Justice"
Gives you +3 :c5happy: Happiness while the Empire is happy. Gives +1 :c5culture: Culture. Costs 1 for maintenance.
Replaces the Courthouse.

Those are great, TPangolin! Thanks. :) I'll definitely use the civ and Guru icon! I'm still thinking about whether I'll go for the Singh or keep my Fast Worker.

That's Ranjit Singh!

Personally I would recommend changing Fast Worker on something more interesting if it isn't big problem ;)

Well, Fast Worker is probably the most boring UU possible :(

TPangolin: Oh, right! Lol :D Now he just needs a leaderscreen to accompany his icon.

Krajzen: Yeah, it's not very interesting really. If I manage to make up a more interesting unique unit/building/improvement I'll probably replace it.

Pouakai: Hmm, yeah, Wikipedia says they were found in Punjab among other places. Although the Rajput also seem to be Hindu warriors like the other ones bane suggested earlier? This civ is Punjabi Empire though, not Sikh Empire.

Gurdwara is a great idea, AggressiveWimp! It could be maybe a Temple replacement.

TPangolin, I don't manage adding in your icons correctlu. :confused: The civ icon Wimp made me yesterday (see higher up) worked perfectly but I don't get yours to.

First, when I tried your civ icon it wouldn't work at all due to non-square. And when I squeezed it to be square it was still so big it would be in the way of the borders:

So I went back to Wimp's civ icon and started with your Ranjit Singh icon but that one is also too big and no matter what I do I can't find out what to do with it to get it look good with that border like the other leaders.

You see how he's outside of the border in the bottom right corner? I don't get a grip of this, it just makes me angry :p

Top Bottom