Poll: Monthly Competitions for January, 2014

Which is the best new Unit for January, 2014?

• Multi Utility Vehicle - ruby_sauce

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Anotom Cyborg - gwendoline

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Looter - ruby_sauce

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Mauryan Elephant - Balam-agab

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balthasar

Wise Man
Well, the Yearly Contests have ended and the winners are posted in the Hall of Fame. Congratulations again to Tony Boscia, myself (shucks), Wuhjah, Yoda Power and Big Bopper for a great round of competition.

This is a month for competitions, what with all the skating, racing, dancing and curling going on - and that's just out in my parking lot. Lots of fun wipeouts, too. But I digress....

Another year, another round of Contests to kick off! This month, no pcx or leaderhead entries, but we do have some cool units to vote on. So here are our nominees for best new Unit of January 2014:

ruby_sauce - Looter

Balam-agab - Mauryan Elephant

ruby_sauce - Multi Utility Vehicle

gwendoline - Anatom Cyborg

Good luck to you all!

February competition entries for all categories now being accepted at the Monthly Competitions Submissions Thread. Enter early, enter often.

Very impressive field this month!

My vote goes to the elephant.

An opening note: I am not at all in favor of having more than one units by the same creator in a monthly contest. If anything he will have less chances to win.

Very cool units. I particularly love the Elephant and the ultra-cool cyborg :D I voted for the cyborg due to originality...

ps: I think you should post the previews in the same order as the units are in the poll. Sometimes people vote fast and it is bad to have creators lose votes due to such errors after they worked so hard ;)

An opening note: I am not at all in favor of having more than one units by the same creator in a monthly contest. If anything he will have less chances to win.
But he submitted them himself, so that's a choice he made himself.

If people are afraid they will get less votes because they submit more units then they can just choose not to submit them. I can't see any issue then.

Besides, for the voters it's nice to have more options.

That rule change has been quite popular, actually, among unit makers who tend to make several units at once, and don't want to have to choose a 'favorite' to enter. I thought Yoda Power answered your second point well enough that I have nothing else to add.

^Maybe many others see it that way, but iirc there was to be a vote on changes to be made. Maybe before next month's contests :)

Perhaps before next year's contests... Pressing RL responsibilities have forced me to table the idea of making major changes for this year, anyway. It's okay, though, to keep the conversation going - IMO anyone afraid of addressing a contrary point of view forthrightly is rightly addressed by a popular feline synonym, and I don't fit into that category.

That rule change has been quite popular, actually, among unit makers who tend to make several units at once, and don't want to have to choose a 'favorite' to enter. I thought Yoda Power answered your second point well enough that I have nothing else to add.

I don't have a problem with the rule myself, though I don't always understand why people enter multiple entries - perhaps they just want to know which of two units people prefer and are not worried about winning overall?

Perhaps before next year's contests... Pressing RL responsibilities have forced me to table the idea of making major changes for this year, anyway. It's okay, though, to keep the conversation going - IMO anyone afraid of addressing a contrary point of view forthrightly is rightly addressed by a popular feline synonym, and I don't fit into that category.

It would be good, when you have the time, to have a thread with the suggestions for changes - perhaps with a poll - then everyone will have a chance to say what they think on the matter.

Rob - OT: Were you still planning to get a link to my interface edited into the monthly update announcement since Takhisis didn't put one in.

I'm sorry that it still isn't there; there's also a problem with the link to Big Bopper's creation. I have been chasing this and oddly enough was speaking to a senior moderator about it yesterday. I believe it will be sorted out soon.

I entered multiple units for the sake of competition, and because I have made a wrong decision on what unit to enter in the past. I don't care when I lose competitions, I find it fun to see them unfold to begin with. With that in mind, it does make me appreciate winning them a lot more! Although I have only ever won one, and won another one by default..

It's a long post, so I've put a spoiler on it.
Spoiler :
I don't have a problem with the rule myself, though I don't always understand why people enter multiple entries - perhaps they just want to know which of two units people prefer and are not worried about winning overall?

Well, it's one way to get folks to vote for the unit, and not the unit-maker, perhaps. Mostly, there's no reason not to allow multiple entries until we see competition fields exceeding 25 units per month - which would be possible now if folks would enter more of the many units that appear in the forum each month. There have been more than 25 original units entered into the database already this month, for example. Again, this is a far busier forum than the contests and front page post would suggest! Takisis and I both wish this were reversed, I'm sure.

It would be good, when you have the time, to have a thread with the suggestions for changes - perhaps with a poll - then everyone will have a chance to say what they think on the matter.

The Thread I opened to discuss changes remains open, I can re-purpose it to discuss changes in general, and I encourage anyone with an opinion to discuss theirs there. Eventually, we could put a poll together based on actual suggestions. Until then...

Balthasar - I'm confused though about entering my interface. If I put it up for February is it for an annual or monthly pcx competition? I thought the rules had changed, but now I'm not sure. If it's annual can it be submitted any time throughout the year?

...the rules remain the same as they were. I'm sorry to have confused you, and that's entirely my fault. Please enter your interface now. It will be in the next monthly contest, and if it wins, it will be included in the yearly contest. According to the rules, it should be entered in the same month as it was put into the database, but I can certainly make exceptions, especially when I've been the cause of the confusion. I can promise you competition, so that you won't win automatically - one advantage of being a prolific creator as well as contest organizer is that I have things on the shelf for occasions like this. :)

Top Bottom