TSG80 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG80 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. We are going to try something new and limit your game description in this thread to the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- What are your early thoughts on playing OCC for Diplomacy?

t115

I moved my settler to the salt, I moved my warrior 1 west. Saw nothing, moved my settler SW to woods. Settled on turn 1. Absolutely had to move away from that spot. Didn't like low food on desert or mountain.

t45 Great Library
t52 NC
t73 HG
t85 Fertility Rites LOL
t88 Oracle Finished Tradition (forgot about building it for a few turns)
<break>
t101 HS Third Religion Interfaith Dialog - Religious Community
t102 EDU - bought a Wat
t105 The Arab takes Charitable Missions WTF? Do they ever take that really?
t107 Great Mosque
t110 Great Scientist
t115 Borborbor Religious Tri-fecta!
2 turns away from UU
<break>

What's up with all this desert and this Charitable Missions? Coincidence?

Rome attacked Morocco.

T130.. Moved my settler east.. Then east... Then east... And finally found the coast... It's a terrible spot for food but there's 3 salt in range and another just out.. Built GL then NC then HG then GW (just to slow down the inevitable barbs) then spammed archers and upgraded to composites then headed south.. Took out Arabia and India within a couple of turns then just finished Brazil. Will kill china next and see who has what wonder built before I decide who to leave. Pedro built GLH so finding all the CSs should be a little easier. Upgrading troops will be a pain but I've built a long road south to the middle of the map for when I hit machinery.

Tradition opener +3.. honor + left side.
This will probably end poorly =)

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!

I moved west, found a mountain with wheat - Yay, next turn warrior saw a coast square, next to another mountain, and a desert. Hmmm, Petra, cargo ships, boat exploring, observatory, I like it. The start would be a little slow, but it should take off once I get the Petra.

Went for it, GL-NC, was beat to the HG, got Petra, built a boat, started exploring....

Spoiler :
NOOOOOOOO it's ice locked in both directions. I can trade by cargo ship with 1 city state.

*sigh*

I'm on Turn 91.

I decided that it was important to settle on the coast, so I moved west and settled at the mouth of the two rivers.

My initial priorities were scouting, setting up a trade route, and building an army of composite bowmen. I'm planning to wipe out 6 civs to smoothen the road to diplomatic victory. I think that OCC diplomacy favors early aggression because if the AI are left alone eventually they will pull ahead.

Looks like the geography will make this a challenging game. Thanks staff for giving us a challenge. :)

I got mining/calendar to connect the dyes, then construction for composite bowmen.

I got the middle policies in Tradition, and I have started Honor.

Spoiler :
I have captured (razed) Mecca.

turn 175 killed everybody except rome..

issues are gold, barbs, and tech.. barbs spawn everywhere making trade routes vulnerable.. while teching i'll station units all over the map to gain CS influence and protect routes which means more units than i'd prefer... barbs are everywhere! especially the water... lost my GLH trireme while he was healing at a CS.. apparently i cant make anymore upgraded GLH units..
its strange how OCC works.. i cant even see others' religions.. "there are no world religions".. 100 gold on conversion was a good choice.. allowed me to easily upgrade to crossbows after barubador and a GP spawn.

my biggest source of growth has been finding ruins on the unexplored islands.. 5 pop ruins so far =)

I am turn 102 and currently building Borobudur, which will ensure my World Religion. I have settled at the starting location because I had reason to believe there wouldn't be a better spot in the near vicinity and I did not want to lose too many turns.

First I built two scouts, then a shrine, waiting for the free monument from the Tradition tree. It came soon thanks to culture from a ruin. The shrine gave me the first pantheon. I took some time choosing between Earth mother :)c5faith: from salt and iron) and Dance of the aurora :)c5faith: from tundra). I chose the faith from salt, because of the more immediate effect. I founded a religion with Tithe and 15% growth rate.

Wonders built so far: Great Library, Stonehenge, Oracle, National College and National Epic (I bought a garden so I hope to have a great scientist soon).

I lost two scouts to barbarians, but that was not a big loss. I bought two new scouts who will have to find more city states.

Currently researching education. After that I don't know whether I should beeline compass (for being able to cross the ocean to find other city states) or the printing press (for starting the World Congress).

It is interesting to see that others players are killing off the other civs... Is that a common approach to diplomatic victory? In my mind, diplomatic victory mainly has to do with :c5science:. Don't you have to reach a certain age before the world leader election becomes available? How does eliminating the other players help science? There won't be many research agreements that way.

Here is a picture of the current situation:
Spoiler :

It is interesting to see that others players are killing off the other civs... Is that a common approach to diplomatic victory?

it does seem counter intuitive but if you kill off everybody but one you only have to get yourself into the atomic era to trigger the vote..

i bailed on my attempt.. it was too much of an effort to keep the water barbs suppressed without fielding a full on navy (which my gold situation didnt support).. every barb camp seemed to spawn on a distant coast... i couldnt get enough cargo ships in the water to make enough gold.. no gold = not enough CS allies..

it does seem counter intuitive but if you kill off everybody but one you only have to get yourself into the atomic era to trigger the vote..

i bailed on my attempt.. it was too much of an effort to keep the water barbs suppressed without fielding a full on navy (which my gold situation didnt support).. every barb camp seemed to spawn on a distant coast... i couldnt get enough cargo ships in the water to make enough gold.. no gold = not enough CS allies..

Thank you for explaining! I get it now. Otherwise you have to reach the Information Era. It is an interesting and daring approach. Too bad it did not work out for you. I do wonder which strategy the winner of this GOTM will have used.

Turn 100

Arabia is dead, India pared down to just their second city. Since Gandhi seems to be the forgive and forget type, I'll keep him around until the end. Just upgraded my four archers to CB and will now sweep through the rest counter clockwise beginning with Morocco. Was very lucky with Panama City, recovering their worker from barbs three times. Happiness is no problem, but I'm constantly butting up against the unit support limit.

My previous play on Terra suggested at least one nearby AI would be available for early attack. So I moved to the SW and the planted on the hill for the extra early hammer.

Finding my first victim, as I planned on going kill off all the AI save one to speed the first WL vote.

Basic Pottery/Mining/AH(ruin) then to Philosophy/Civil Service Went for Construction next, then on to Education which complete in one. Anything to speed up my science, as that would be the initial limiting factor to victory.

Full Tradition for growth/happiness, then Honor opener to get access to ToZ. Will be going Patronage next and fill it in until I can open Rationalism.

Looks like more attention will have to be paid to completing CS quests as I think gold may not be all that plentiful towards the end with just one city generating gold.

back to civ5 since few weeks with the purchase of BNW.

After testing new mechanics it's time to play a GOTM and improved my skill =).

T100

Settle t5 on desert hill near mountain and wheat. not a great place :s

BO: Scout, Monument, Shrine, Granary, Scout, GL, NC, HG, Petra, Oracle, Writer's Guild, HS ( should finish t110)
Tech: Pottery, Mining, Writing, AH, Archery, Calendar, Free Philo, beeline Currency, Bronze Working, Theology, Education (should finish T115)
Rushbuy: archer, caravan, tiles
Religion : DF, tithe, sword to plowshare.

my Bo is situational because i can steal a worker and ally a military cs early. i want a peaceful early game and focus on growth (HG, Petra and sword to plowshare) and economy (religion spreading for Tithe trade route).

i have cash, ready to rush buy my wat and maritime/cultural cs as soon i hit philantropy. i've finish tradition t82, jump to patronage opener and consulates.

next step will be borobudur (2 cultural cs want it), hoping to enhance with interfaith dialog and some active spreading ( Zeal/holy Order/messiah) with HS prophet before and get a good science boost and gpt.

Spoiler :

back to civ5 since few weeks with the purchase of BNW.

After testing new mechanics it's time to play a GOTM and improved my skill =).

Welcome back to GotM! I hope the new changes have been fun for you to explore.

HR

Turn 100:

Moved warrior west, moved settler east to sheep on first turn, then on next turn SE to middle salt, did not like what I saw, so back to sheep on same turn, founded right there on the sheep next turn(2).

Meeting new people and becoming a salt salesman. Growth.

Pottery, got Archery from ruin on same turn, Mining, Animal Husbandry, The Wheel, Writing, Calendar, Mathematics, got Philosophy halfway through Math.
The plan was Great Library, NC, then Hanging Gardens and Oracle. Things went so well, I built Parthenon(why...? It did help a lot with culture though...),before Oracle.

Full Tradition into Patronage. Because its OCC and Diplomacy.

I always like OCC. It's how I learned to win at Vanilla (with China:lol:one paper maker?)and old habits are hard to break. I will find it difficult to avoid culture victory, but I have not built any guilds yet. I'm the only one with any tourism though.

Milestones:
These are some really good numbers for me. Taken separately maybe not much, but all in the same game is pretty nice

Tradition from ruin t7
Legalism t15
Landed Elite t25
Pop 6 t35
Aristocracy t43
Great Library/Philosophy t48
3rd Pantheon/Earth Mother t49
NC t55
Monarchy t61
Hanging Gardens t65
Pop 10 t67
Oligarchy/Tradition finisher t73
Parthenon t74
1st Golden Age t80
Oracle/Patronage t82
Consulates t85
Prophet/2nd Religion t90 Tithe/Religious Community
Philanthropy t96
Chichen Itza t97
Education/Pop 16 t100

Edit: added screenshots; I think I made this work.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=230038365
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=230038410
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=230038452
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=230038517

settled in place. not crazy about all the tundra, but given HR's game description I thought the starting spot looked pretty good, and even if there was a better spot I probably would go in the wrong direction looking for it.

opened scout, scout, shrine. then focused on growth, finding cs, allying as quick as possible, and building wonders. went GL, Stonehenge (cuz I didn't take the faith pantheon, but Fertility Rites), HG, then NC. then Oracle, and CI.
growth has been good. pop at 22 now (got two WLTKs already - pearls from Singapore and Ivory from Rome - I'm kinda stuck on Silk now though - not sure if it's worth 28gpt to get that one).
got religion founded (Tithe and Swords in to Plowshares). decided to play peaceful.
In fact, I'm playing the peacemaker. Rome declared on the Dutch (a good friend of mine). I was going to stay out of it, but it looked like Rome was going to take Amsterdam, so I asked William what he was willing to give me to Dow Rome. All I could get out of him was 100g! Decided I needed him alive and well though, so I stepped in a saved Amsterdam just before Augustus was about to take it. destroyed about six roman units for him too.

it's been pretty peaceful since then, and I just enhanced my religion (t127) and took Feed the World and Religious Texts. Hagia Sofia will be done in 5 turns so I can start the religion going.

got Astronomy done around t120 and have started combing the oceans (with embarked scouts and archers) for the other continent but haven't found it yet.

tech is going to be a limiting factor here. should be slower finish for sure.
will try to get lots of Research Agreements. probably wont be great, but better than nothing. Got some going starting at t112. have three in place now with Arabia (t143), William (t144), Pedro (t145).

Guys GUYS!!

I won't probably win this GOTM, but I will definitly win the bad luck award LOL

1. Being playing a peacefull game so far, everybody luving everybody, blablabla. I'm wonderworring like nobody's buissness (funny since I usually play on higher difficulties, I've seen many wonder screens for the first time ;)).
I took an interesting approach on religion: the thing that make civ state get 2x religion from trade roads, and the one that increase the rest point when they got the same religion. All toward diplo win, yeah.
So I was, why not build Borobur to help things out? Yeah why not.
Then 2 turns before completion, a sneaky piece of green was wandering on the salt things. Wants to spice his food, no big deal.
THEN THE NEXT TURN, MY HOLY CITY IS ISLAMIC :mad: :mad: :mad:
Then you should know what happened next: THREE DUMB ISLAMIC MISSIONARIES. I had to delete all 3 of them :facepalm:

2. WLTKD...
Seriously what the hell! First thing my citizens wants is whale. I'm like: "ok, you are far from the see, I guess it's really something you want to try out. Let's take advantage of no Greenpeace yet. Then I waited FREAKING 50 TURNS for the Dutch to improve their SECOND whale but nope. 190+ turn and it's still unimproved... Feels like a case of I would have loved Japan instead of Dutch here ;)
OK then, I put my anger appart. 17gpt deal, jeez I hope the sushis were good.
Anyway, WLTKD is over, what's next.
CRABS, **** CRABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never seen one spot in the whole game so far.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS SEAFOOD LOVE CITIZENS???????
I hope they all die from a bad indigestion!

Moderator Action: Please read the rules concerning use of non-PG language. You are not allowed to use word construction designed to fool the site's autocensor. We try to keep our site family friendly, please help us do this.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Well, rant appart, this is my game so far:

Never played on Terra so far, didn't know what will happen at all

Finding the moar civs/city state to sell my salt monopole and try to allies CS as fast as poss.

Beelining important wonders so far, as well as the usual science path.

Full Tradition + patro + ratio. My best fail so far was shoolacism. A freaking +7 beaker when I have 140. Should have oppened ratio instead...

Easier on the wonder part. I think I really wanted to, I could have get all the wonders in the game... Helps on that part for the city quests. Same thing on generating great ppl, easier when you got a freaking huge city.
Really painfull not being costal though, and I can only get 2 cities for caravans so far...

Edit: Sry for moderator's action, took bad habbits from other forums. Will try to pay more attention in the future.
Regards, 4N4

Yeah, i was doing pretty good at keeping the WLTKDs rolling until my citizens asked for Crab.

Turn 100ish. I have gotten way too reliant on food caravans/cargo ships to my cap because even with 6 Salt my growth is horribly slow. Being out in the middle of nowhere made it tough to even send caravans out to anyone else until I built a Caravansary.

I started out 2 into Liberty for the Worker, because my build queue was packed, then full into Patronage. First gifted Great Person? An Admiral! Woo hoo, who needs to be coastal. In Terra. When trying for a Diplo V. Unfortunately he got bushwhacked by Galleas after locating only 1 City-State on the other continents so I finished off Liberty and chose another Great Admiral.

Only OCC is making this challenging, that and deciding to not go for the Dom Diplo V. Rome is doing a pretty good job of that for me, clearing The Netherlands off the map and nearly China. Fun challenge, although my time will be way out into the 300s. Thanks guys.

Glad to see others still posting here. I thought everyone might have finished already. Good grief, I play so slow.

I hope that post 100 updates are OK here. I don't want to go to AAT until I'm done and I see no other place to post mid-game updates.

Turn 180 Update:

Spoiler :
Rome has been a bad guy since early in this game. I did not say much about diplomacy in my first update. But Rome had already taken Kyzyl and were bullying left and right. I bribed Morocco once to DoW them. (3gpt?) Since turn 100 Rome has went on to take Beijing. So I haven't had to pay anymore war bribes as everyone is Dowing them all the time now. The Netherlands and Morocco, along with Rome are the strongest so far with Brazil and India next with Arabia further down and China very weak.

I'm selling lots of salt for gold, gpt, and luxes.

At Economics, I began to regret founding on the sheep hill. I had misremembered where you can't build windmills. I had thought it was plains so I figured I had to have the grassland or the tundra but plains would have worked. And I'm usually not keen on founding on hills anyway. And there were just a few hills to begin with. Grrrr. In hindsight, with the isolated start, I could have moved away from the river and tundra a little bit.

Milestones:

Hagia Sophia/free Prophet/enhance - t105 Swords into Plowshares/Reliquary
GS - t107
Scholasticism - t111
Alahambra - t122 Renaissance/Banking/2nd Golden Age(15)
Cultural Diplomacy - t123
Pop 20 - t124
GS - t126
Forbidden Palace - t132
Merchant Confederacy - t136 Patronage finisher
Angkor Wat - t140
Notre Dame/GS - t150
World Congress - t151-153? forgot to note
Rationalism - t153 opener
Gifted Great Musician - t154 *See below*
3rd Golden Age(15) - t154
Sistine Chapel - t160
Prophet - t164
Secularism - t169
Scientific Theory/1st Great Writer - t178 **See below**
Globe Theater/2nd(free) Great Writer - t180 ***See below***

*Had to hold the Great Musician a few turns to build amphitheater and opera house and made just my 2nd Great Work of the game. The bonus from the UA made the culture buildings seem irrelevant so I had delayed them.

**It has been sooo difficult for me to refrain from maxing out my Writers and Artists. I have tried very hard to do just enough tourism to set myself up to resist any ideological pressure that may come. My total culture seems pretty good and its totally op compared to the other civs. See screenshot. Lowest culture civ(China) selected in drop-down to see comparison of my culture to other civs.

***This timing was almost but not quite luck. One of the main things I love doing in a normal game is timing theming bonuses. Here's how this one went. I knew I was going to build Globe. I was watching the tech tree costs closely to know which tech were being researched by AI to get my wonder build order. I saw that I would probably be building it to finish near Sci Theory. I threw the Writer's Guild up a little before this. I wasn't technically trying to time it. I just didn't want to hold one too long. Sci Theory actually came a couple of turns before I thought it might, so I didn't have to hold at all. I did build one extra building before Globe to insure my free Writer came second.

Here are some screenshots: Caution - The first three together show the whole starting continent. 4-6 are works, culture, and tech tree.
1. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231067332
2. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231067281
3. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231067306
4. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231067332
5. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231067359
6. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231067392

I'm having a good time on this one. Maybe it's the salt, but I don't notice a difference between King and Prince. In fact, I think I could take my turn 75 save and make a run at my best France, Prince, Culture times on this map. With one city! It's also a lot of fun reading about how everyone else is doing. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom