MAF/CTD now each turn

Tuvok99

Chieftain
Hi,

i'm using win7 64 with full hd resolution and svn 7154

At the start of the game i could play several turn before i get a maf, but the later the game the less turns i could play. now i get a maf/ctd each turn.

after finishing the turn the computer calculates the ai and creates a saved game. in most cases now a diplomatic screen poped up, but the game crashes before viewing it.

i could load the autoturn game without problems, finish the turn and the same appears again.

Any ideas to avoid this or to extend the number of turns before a crash?

thx in advance

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-3340.7z
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
Thanks for your help.

with your information i decided to make a clean reinstallation. after installation of civ4 complete, bts 3.19 and only the c2c mod, it seams to run fine.

maybe a former mod has installed a bad asset file.

Or the settings data stored in the cache from that other Mod was causing C2C settings problems. Especially if you've used any Mod that once used Rise of Mankind as a basis.

When I switch between C2C and AND I have to clear the cache Every time I play the other mod, Every time. I suspect even if you play VIP you would have the same problem as Vincentz mod is based of RoM/AND.

JosEPh

Not VIP - it has no connection with Rom/AND. Vincentz started from scratch. ;)

BtW It has been confirmed that civ iv loads all the graphics for all civs for all eras before you get to choose what nations are in game. -> if it is is an art define it is loaded. Which means turning off stuff like civilizations using MLF is the only way to reduce the graphics load in C2C.

Didn't koshling warn about this graphics overload last year? C2C's ram usage has went from 1.4 GB to 1.7 to 2.1 to now up to 2.8. And isn't it true that once C2C goes over 2.6GB ram usage that the MAF start showing up. I think koshling posted that sometime back.

Back in the RoM days Zappara ran into this problem with the Mega Civ pack.

I think SO is going to have to put a limit on his new Civs. And by this I mean he's going to have to make a Civ pack for those extra Civs and let the players decide whether to use it not. With appropriate warning that too many in the mod can cause MAFs.

The Mod probably needs to reduce the # of leaders in it by at least 1/2 to start with. This Graphic footprint needs to get back to a size 8 and not a size 16! And soon imho.

JosEPh

Yeah, what we could really use was something that allows you to choose what do you want to load and that is a bit more user friendly then Modular.

So we could decide which 5-10 civs would be in game (or slightly more when you play Rev), and maybe also only loads buildings per era / phase of the game. We could make 3 different folders of buildings: Always (Palace and such), first half (up to Industrial) and second half (onwards). I choosed industrial because most of the buildings goes obsolete there. We can devide it even further if we want to. But then we have to make sure that all buildings that are in a specific folder really go obsolete by the time they are no longer loaded.
Same could go with units and unit graphics (the ethic ones).

BtW It has been confirmed that civ iv loads all the graphics for all civs for all eras before you get to choose what nations are in game.

If that is the case - when I look at the SVN thread, why are some people, just adding new Civs all the time. Apparently without prior discussion (it seems from comments posted by other modders) and approval from other members of the team. (Unless you have a private forum.). Or have I somehow missed the "New Civs addition" thread. :):eek:

O.K. - just a bit of mischief. But, even if this is a hobby - too many cooks spoil the broth.

Yeah, what we could really use was something that allows you to choose what do you want to load and that is a bit more user friendly then Modular.

So we could decide which 5-10 civs would be in game (or slightly more when you play Rev), and maybe also only loads buildings per era / phase of the game. We could make 3 different folders of buildings: Always (Palace and such), first half (up to Industrial) and second half (onwards). I choosed industrial because most of the buildings goes obsolete there. We can devide it even further if we want to. But then we have to make sure that all buildings that are in a specific folder really go obsolete by the time they are no longer loaded.
Same could go with units and unit graphics (the ethic ones).

What you wrote about buildings is alot work because we have over 2000 buildings. Also it is a waste of time because how would you know something is no longer needed?

What you wrote about buildings is alot work because we have over 2000 buildings. Also it is a waste of time because how would you know something is no longer needed?

Yeah, that is the problem. Even when most of the civs are in the industrial age, some might be way behind and still use the PH buildings :sad:
I was just trying to get "rid" of some of the buildings we currently have.

If that is the case - when I look at the SVN thread, why are some people, just adding new Civs all the time. Apparently without prior discussion (it seems from comments posted by other modders) and approval from other members of the team. (Unless you have a private forum.). Or have I somehow missed the "New Civs addition" thread. :):eek:

O.K. - just a bit of mischief. But, even if this is a hobby - too many cooks spoil the broth.

Well the person adding the civs is the mod owner:D

I am working on a proper C2C setup page. It will pop up when the custom game (and maybe Play Now) screen show and contain everything about C2C that you can mod with suggestions and stuff. It will work with MLF which means that after you set your options you may have to exit and start again so that, for example, the art and xml for the stuff you turned off can be not loaded.

So, whats the bigger problem now. Having many different civs or just having so many different "skins" for each group/one of them?

Well the person adding the civs is the mod owner:D

I am working on a proper C2C setup page. It will pop up when the custom game (and maybe Play Now) screen show and contain everything about C2C that you can mod with suggestions and stuff. It will work with MLF which means that after you set your options you may have to exit and start again so that, for example, the art and xml for the stuff you turned off can be not loaded.

No, its me:p

Which means turning off stuff like civilizations using MLF is the only way to reduce the graphics load in C2C.

Is this what you're referring to, or is there a more recent version of it? I could, for example, use this to disable all the civs except the ones present in my current game to reduce the load?

Like the OP, the performance has taken a big hit since last time I played (~5 months ago). I'm getting CTD's not only after ending a turn, but sometimes when opening menus (like espionage screen), as well - even viewports aren't mitigating the issue.

Is this what you're referring to, or is there a more recent version of it? I could, for example, use this to disable all the civs except the ones present in my current game to reduce the load?

Like the OP, the performance has taken a big hit since last time I played (~5 months ago). I'm getting CTD's not only after ending a turn, but sometimes when opening menus (like espionage screen), as well - even viewports aren't mitigating the issue.

You switched from Graphical paging to viewports? That's a step backwards.

JosEPh

They're both enabled, they aren't an either or type of deal, are they? I thought having both on was better.

That is the only front end I know of, but most people do it by hand by editing the MLF files in the folders.

You switched from Graphical paging to viewports? That's a step backwards.

JosEPh

They're both enabled, they aren't an either or type of deal, are they? I thought having both on was better.

As far as I know the new Graphical Paging just means you should not need to use Viewports as much. They do work together and using both should use less memory.

I'm also getting mafs every 3-5 turns on the GEM with only ~130 cities. Previously I have played it in the modern era with more than 500 cities without problems. Any way of reducing memory usage now? (Ie "delete" some modular civs that aren't in the game etc)?

Top Bottom