Dawn of Alternate History: An Alternate-History Focused Modmod of RFC DoC

mrrandomplayer

Hopeless Situation Warrior
Link to the site:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=22068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod Description
Welcome to RFC: Dawn of Alternate History ModModMod pre-Alpha v. 0.1!

This mod is a modmod of the Civilization 4 mod RFC Dawn of Civilization. The goal of this modmod is to expand on the alternate history capabilities of DoC.

What's this modmod all about? Why shouldn't I just be content with regular DoC?
That's a very important question, especially since this is departing from DoC much less than DoC from RFC. While DoC tried to fix everything wrong with RFC and vastly improve the gameplay and historicity, which was inspired by Leoreth's frustration at the shortcomings of RFC. However, that's not where this mod came from. I still think DoC is awesome, and I still contribute to the development of the mod. This is more like a more focused side project relating to one concept: Alternate History. The respawn civs and Alternate history scenarios help fulfill that. That's really the driving purpose. I don't care about gameplay changes, unless it helps expand on alternate history scenarios (overhauling the stability system, for example).

What's this modmod NOT about?
Anything other than alternate history. Like DoC, it isn't a kitchen sink mod.

All fine and good, but how do I install this?
Easy. Download the RAR file from the link at the bottom of the page, and extract it into your Beyond the Sword\Mods\ folder. You don't need to have RFC or DoC installed beforehand, nor do you have to load RFC or DoC before you can load Dawn of AltHist. Another important point is that this is a standalone mod, not a modcomp like many others existing for DoC.

Always loading the modmod is rather tedious. Isn't there a faster way to launch it?
There is. You can also start the modmod by executing the 3000 BC, 500 AD, 600 AD, or 1700 AD, scenario files in RFC Dawn of Alternate History\PublicMaps\, you can even make a shortcut to them wherever you like. You'll get to the civ selection screen for a new game, but can easily reach the main menu by clicking "back".

I have an idea to improve this modmod. Can I post it here?
Please do! You're more than welcome to contribute your own ideas and observations here. As already said, I'll gladly add a good idea when I see one. I'm especially open to discuss Alternate timelines for this mod. However, if it doesn't fall within the mod's concept, be prepared to see it rejected.

Current Features:
500 AD Alternate History Scenario
Venice added as a rebirth civilization.

Planned Features:
Alpha: At least 2 more Alternate History scenarios, and possibly add a few more rebirth civilizations.

Please enjoy!

Download link:http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=22068

Current ideas/Topics for Discussion:

1000 AD Ideas:
A combined Byzanto-Persian alliance beats back the Arabs and they invade Europe instead, and they win at Tours, converting France and Germany (and possibly England) to Islam.
Questions/Issues:
-I would need to add a conditional spawn for the Seljuks with Islam in Iran and Mughals in India
-How much effect would a half-Islamic Europe have on the world?

1492:

http://slumberparties.deviantart.com/#/art/Pulp-Steampunk-Western-439218020?hf=1

If you visit the page proper, you can read an additional description I've provided for the scenario.
It's the late 15th century but the tech level is equivalent to a late 19th/early 20th century setting.
But I have put quite a bit of thought and research into this and feel it's a good fit for an alt-history scenario for your modmod.
We can omit the steampunk elements, but overall I'd love to work on this with you.
Thanks to Tomorrow's Dawn for the idea.

1600 AD Ideas:
This one is the one that I am least sure about. I was thinking of China discovering the New World and there being Chinese, Japanese, and Korean colonies along the Pacific coast. However, this one is up for grabs in terms of ideas.

Pre-0 AD, 1800-1900 AD: Should they be done?

Go ahead and discuss!

Reserved for bug reports and technical issues.

Reserved for other stuff.

You may post now.

Current ideas/Topics for Discussion:

1600 AD Ideas:
This one is the one that I am least sure about. I was thinking of China discovering the New World and there being Chinese, Japanese, and Korean colonies along the Pacific coast. However, this one is up for grabs in terms of ideas.

Go ahead and discuss!

Sunset Invasion, perhaps?

Reposting for the Great Library survival scenario:

Scenario Civs:
Spoiler :
mrrandomplayer, how's this?

Major Players:
Caliphate of Qurtuba - Moors
Abbasid Caliphate - Arabia
Hallowed Roman Empire - Prussia
United Kingdom of Franco-Normandy - France
Guang Dynasty China - China
Srivijaya Federation - Indonesia

Minor Players:
Eirish Emirate - Celtic slot
Kipchak Khaganate - Mongolia slot
Slavistan - Russia slot
Islamic Tibetan Horde - Tibet slot
Songhai-Hausa Union - Mali slot
Nordheim - Viking slot
Kingdom of Hungary - HRE slot
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - Poland slot
Kingdom of Gujarat - Mughal slot
Kingdom of Orissa - India slot
Travancore - Tamil slot
Luba Empire - Kongo slot
Burma - Khmer slot
Champa - Thai slot
Aztlan - Aztec slot
Mayapan - Maya slot
Kingdom of Aymara - Inca slot
Cahokian Empire (controls Sioux & Haudenosaunee Homeland States)- Native slot
Chinese Vassal Leader (controls Outer Mongolia, Kham, Goryeo, Honshu & Hokkaido) - Corea slot
Arabian Vassal Leader (controls Central Asia and East Africa) - Ottoman slot
Italian City States - Italy slot

States on the map to be represented by Independents:
Odland Lawless Zone
Basque Republic
Switzerland
Kievan Rus
Finland
Kanem Kingdom
East African states
Central Asian states
Ayuthayya
Afuhan

Disabled Respawns (unless granted independence):
Rome
Greece
Phoenicia
Egypt
Babylon
Persia
England
Japan

Outright removed from scenario:
Brazil
Mexico
Iran
Dutch
Portugal
Argentina
Colombia
Seljuks
America
Byzantines
New UVs:
Spoiler :
Major Player Victories:

Islamic UV (for Caliphate of Qurtuba & Abbasid Caliphate):
-Ensure the Hallowed Roman & Franco-Norman cores are occupied by either Qurtuba or Abbasids.
-Ensure the Masjid al-Haram hits a shrine income of 50GPT (Let's remove the Shrine income cap)
-Complete the Apollo Program & steal a total of 1000 Gold via Spies.

Christian UV (for Hallowed Roman Empire & Kingdom of Franco-Normandy):
-Collapse the Caliphate of Qurtuba and the Abbasid Caliphate
-Spread Christianity to 50%
-Have a Kill-Death ratio of 4:1 by 1850

Secular UV (for Guang Dynasty China & Srivijaya Federation):
-Mediate 3 peace treaties between warring parties not involving yourself.
-Ensure half of all civilizations run no state religion
-Complete The Internet & experience 3 Golden Ages.

Three Kingdoms Period India UV (for Kingdom of Gujarat, Orissa & Travancore):
-Grow your capital to size 20 by 1600
-Make half of all civilizations Pleased and at least 2 Friendly without switching your religion
-Unite the Indian subcontinent by 1760

Minor Civilization Unique Victories (WIP):

Islamic Tibetan Horde UV:
-Collapse Arabian Vassal Leader
-Capture Chang'an & Afuhan by 1800
-Gain one city with sea access within 20 tiles of Lasa

Ethiopian Empire UV:
-Successfully demand Tribute from AIs at least 5 times by 1760
-Successfully orchestrate war between two foreign parties at least 2 times by 1800
-Steal 4 technologies by 1820

Cahokian Empire UV:
-Secure 2 Corn, 2 Tobacco, 2 Gold, 2 Iron & 2 Coal resources.
-Total of all city defenses must exceed 800% by 1820
-Ensure no colonies in North America by 1850

Eirish Emirate UV:
-Connect Virginia & Eirish Guiana by railroad.
-Conquer 4 Franco-Norman or Hallowed Roman colonies.
-Have an Approval Rating greater than 75% by 1780
New UUs:
Spoiler :
mrrandomplayer, if you're interested, here are some UUs for the primary nations in my steampunk scenario.

Qurtuban UU:
Humanitarian Hostile Elimination Vessel (HHRV)
Class: Naval Unit
STR: 40
MOV: 6
COST: 240
Requires: Scientific Method
Effects:
Causes a maximum of 85% damage to enemy
Can bombard city defenses (-20%/turn)
May blockade

Anglo-Norman UU:

Gyrocopter
Class: Helicopter Unit
STR: 25
MOV: 4
COST: 170
Requires: Steam Power
Effects:
Cannot capture enemy cities
Doesn't receive defensive bonuses
Flies over terrain
Can withdraw from combat (60% chance)
+30% vs. Armored Units
Flank attack vs. Cannons, Artillery, and Mobile Artillery

Abbasid UU:
Mag-Lev Fortress
Class: Armored Unit
STR: 18
MOV: 4
COST: 200
Requires: Physics, Uranium
Effects:
Cargo Space 4 (carries Land units and fighters)
Flies over terrain
Can bombard city defenses (-16%/turn)

Hallowed Roman UU:
Zeppelin
Class: Armored Unit
STR: 24
MOV: 2
COST: 200
Requires: Physics, Steam Power
Effects:
Cargo Space 2 (carries fighters)
Flies over terrain
Can bombard city defenses (-16%/turn)

Guang UU:
Pen Dian Qi
Class: Gunpowder Unit
STR: 20
MOV: 1
COST: 140
Requires: Electricity, Rifling
Effects: Inflicts collateral damage
Immune to collateral damage from Siege Weapons
+25% vs. Gunpowder units

Srivijayan UU:
Saw Spitter
Class: Gunpowder Unit
STR: 22
MOV: 1
COST: 140
Requires: Steam Power, Rifling
Effects: 1 First Strike
Rolled hits inflict x2 damage against units below 75% health
+25% vs. Gunpowder units

Why is the Venetian goal to conquer Constantinople, when not only does the historical rational to conquer that city not exist in this scenario, but the city itself also isn't there? I'd personally change the goal to conquer the Orthodox holy city, or even just to control another civilization's capital, though the first option feels more significant.

Overall though, I like this mod-mod's idea. The steampunk scenario idea above sounds fascinating. I also like China discovering the new world first as an idea, but it would only work in the case of two scenarios... Europe is held back somehow (Maybe the Battle of Tours is won by the Umayyad's?), or after Zheng He's voyages, the next Emperor of the Ming Dynasty isn't so conservative and resumes the voyages? The latter scenario would have China and Europe discovering the new world at about the same time, but from different coasts, allowing for competition, but mostly omitting the other East Asian civs initially.

One scenario could be a 1200AD start where Genghis Khan is stillborn so no Mongol empire forms.

Kwarezm expands west, conquers Egypt and forms a Persian Caliphate
The Ottomans never emerge
Kievan Rus dominates Russia, wars with Hungary, Cumans and Kwarezm, and expands to Constantinople once the ERE collapses
Jin dynasty becomes expansionist and colonises American and Australia
No Timurids and Mughals so something good happens in India (not so hot on Indian history in the Middle ages)
The Eastern European states are never sacked by the Mongols, so Hungary and Poland become major powers in the Middle Ages, conquering much of the HRE and fighting an Anglo-French alliance for control of Italy

One scenario could be a 1200AD start where Genghis Khan is stillborn so no Mongol empire forms.

Kwarezm expands west, conquers Egypt and forms a Persian Caliphate
The Ottomans never emerge
Kievan Rus dominates Russia, wars with Hungary, Cumans and Kwarezm, and expands to Constantinople once the ERE collapses
Jin dynasty becomes expansionist and colonises American and Australia
No Timurids and Mughals so something good happens in India (not so hot on Indian history in the Middle ages)
The Eastern European states are never sacked by the Mongols, so Hungary and Poland become major powers in the Middle Ages, conquering much of the HRE and fighting an Anglo-French alliance for control of Italy

Firstly, the Song are in a much better geographical and technological position to colonize.
By the end of the first series of humiliations inflicted upon Song by the Jin, the Jin essentially hit a brick wall and were thwarted by the Song a number of times thereafter.

Secondly, Eastern Europe's relative sluggishness when compared to Western Europe is should not and can not be attributed to the Mongol invasions.
They were hardly a footnote when compared to the Crimean Tatar raids across Eastern European lands much later on.
That was the real reason why they were setback in development.
It is safe to say they will end up developing better with the absence of powerful nomadic peoples in the first place,
but the Italian thing seems kind of a stretch to me.

From what I remember, Hungary was doing pretty well in the middle ages, though. If the Mongols hadn't beaten them down, maybe they would've been in a much better position to defend against the Tatars later on?

Only if you can find a LEGITIMATE reason for it happening.

While nomadic Euro-Asians struggle to survive, the advanced Native Americans develop the ability to farm and settle down in cities. The Aztecs and several other tribes establish dominance over their opponents, but

Okay, without preventing the Old World from ever discovering farming and remaining nomadic, no

In The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories, there was one where Columbus was sponsored by Granada instead, landed in Mexico, and brought back an Aztec army (led by Montezuma before he became emperor) to help fight off the Spaniards. It was not exactly one of the most grounded in reality stories in the book, though.

Also, question, what stability system is this modmodmod on?
Old Rhye stability or Modern Leo stability?

Modern. It's up to date with SVN 703, though it might not always be up to date with SVN.

Why is the Venetian goal to conquer Constantinople, when not only does the historical rational to conquer that city not exist in this scenario, but the city itself also isn't there? I'd personally change the goal to conquer the Orthodox holy city, or even just to control another civilization's capital, though the first option feels more significant.

It's because Venice was fundamentally connected to Byzantium for its early existence, and making scenario-specific UHVs might not be possible. I'll add a check so that Venice doesn't spawn if the Byzantines are dead to prevent situations like that from happening.

Overall though, I like this mod-mod's idea. The steampunk scenario idea above sounds fascinating. I also like China discovering the new world first as an idea, but it would only work in the case of two scenarios... Europe is held back somehow (Maybe the Battle of Tours is won by the Umayyad's?), or after Zheng He's voyages, the next Emperor of the Ming Dynasty isn't so conservative and resumes the voyages? The latter scenario would have China and Europe discovering the new world at about the same time, but from different coasts, allowing for competition, but mostly omitting the other East Asian civs initially.

Thanks! It will be the second situation, and I will probably have the thing that slows down the Europeans be that Columbus' ships sink, and the Europeans don't discover the Americas for an additional 100 years (and the lack of American gold and silver slows down the European economy), and are just beginning to colonize in 1700.

Roman Intro
Spoiler :

Due to a number of (fictional) competent emperors, The WRE survives "the 5th century crisis" more or less intact with the exception ot the loss of africa to the vandals. While the ERE collapses due to political infighting, a renewed Sassanid assault and barbarian incursions that result in the Sarmatian sacking of Constantinople and the founding of a Sarmatian kingdom in Greece. the Sassanids take the lion's share of the ERE, annexing anatolia and the levant. Egypt remains the last bastion of Roman authority in the east. But the Shahanshah should be wary, there have been rumors that an arabic warlord has united the tribes of Arabia and is at the head of a dynamic new religion. Meanwhile in the Orient the Han empire is in its prime, Dominating the politics of the far east. But there is a sense of unease. Thousands of Tocharian refugees have been flooding across the borders claiming they have been fleeing for their lives from the "scourge of man" a race of half men half horses with the faces of demons that kill and pillage all they see, lead by a great khan Attila. While it remains to be seen whether such a fanciful race does indeed exist, a wise emperor would be keen to put extra garrisons on the great wall.

civs at start
Spoiler :

Rome
Egypt
Persia
Russia(Alan Khanate) controls central asia and and lands west of the caspian up to the Caucasus mountains
Greece(Sarmatian kingdom)
China
India
Tamils
Mongols(hunnic khanate)
Indonesia
Khmer
Japan
Germany(gothic kingdom)
Carthage(vandalic africa)
Tibet
Ethiopia

Spawns/releasable
Spoiler :

austria(ostrogothic kingdom) Germany becomes visigothic upon split.
Poland(slavonia)controls Poland west Russia and Ukraine.
netherlands(kingdom of the frisians)
vikings(colonizes most of eastern seaboard)
england(kemr)Romano-british revolter/releasable if WRE collapses.
france(gallia) gallo-roman revolter/releasable if WRE collapses.
spain(hispania)hispano-roman revolter/releasable if WRE collapses.
Italy(Rome)Roman successor state if WRE collapses.
mughals zoroastrian satraps that flee the muslims and conquer an empire in India.
moors(Swahili) controls east africa south of Ethiopia
congo(does as congo does now)
mali(does as mali does now)
iran(does as iran does now)
america(vinland republic) controls newfoundland down to florida if colonised.
colombia(vesilund) vandal colony
brazil hispanic colony (nova lusitania if roman)
mexico(Novdd Priddania) kemr colony (called Mexitania if roman)
argentina roman or hispanic colony
peru(louisiana) gallic colony (nova massalia if roman)

new word civs stay the same

Seljuks invade westward instead along the path of the mongols around 1200

Advanced americas/possible sunset invasion backstory
Spoiler :

around 13 to 10 thousand years ago practically everything apart from bison bighorn sheep and antelope in the americas went extinct. Be it a comet, climate change or human overkill. Whatever it was it didn't happen. There are mammoths in california! horses mingle with bison on the great plains and in Argentina! Gomphotheres browse the leaves of the high forests of the Andes! The native americans, rather than live nomadic lifestyles at risk of predation from roaming packs of lions, saber toothed cats and giant wolves build fortified villages and develop agriculture and domestication spurring the development of civilization!

old world remains the same

civs
Spoiler :

america:Great plains khanate(native american "khanate" that controls everything west of the mississippi and east of the rocky mountains.) UU:heavy Hagerman horse archer replaces knight. reqs horse
native americans: huron-Haudenosaunee confederacy (occupies land east of mississippi and south of the great lakes) uu: pike brave replaces pikeman reqs iron
brazil:(Cascadia occupies the land west of the rockies) UU:Imperial mammoth cataphracts. replaces knight reqs elephant/iron
argentina:Mapuche kingdom (controls argentina) UU:
incas:(present location) uu:Gomphothere musketmen replaces cuirassier .reqs elephants
aztecs:(present location) uu heavy jaguar replaces heavy swordsman reqs iron/copper
maya:Carib empire(controls caribbean, yucatan, venezuela and eastern SA down to mouth of the Amazon UU:Carib guard archers replaces longbowmen

Sunset invasion... How about this:

The 6th century plague of Justinian hits much harder, spreading all across the Silk Route (if there's another reason for China's weakness in 13th-15th century, nevermind this). Europe and Asia are crippled, 80% mortality rate. Due to recurrences of the pandemic, civs don't start recovery until 10th century.
While the Old World is busy being sick, a charismatic leader is born in Central America in 10th century, uniting the warring city-states (Montezuma the Zeroth).

tl;dr: Eurasia is crippled because of plague. The Aztec emerge earlier. Sunset Invasion.

Will flesh it out if you find it plausible.

Top Bottom