Ancient Middle East (+India and Greece) mod

Civciv5

Grand Emperor
I present...the announcement of...the announcement of the Ancient Middle East mod.
I've been working on this mod since September...following another mod centered on China, which I abandoned quite early on. But I retired from modding for a few months until I restarted progress previous week. So suddenly I was very interested in the Middle East an I decided I would like to make a mod about the Ancient Middle East. This mod will not be playable and released until it the entire tech tree is finished, which will be in about 1 year maybe. Maybe sooner, maybe later, i don't know yet. However I hope some people will help me and give me some advice or something because I don't know nearly enough about Middle Eastern history. Feel free to comment, post something what is useful or has to do with this project.

Timeline: 3000BC - 620 AD
Spoiler Map :

Spoiler Nubia :

Spoiler Upper Egypt :

Spoiler Lower Egypt :

Spoiler Greece :

Spoiler Macedonia and Thrace :

Spoiler Anatolia :

Spoiler Mesopotamia :

Spoiler Levant :

Spoiler Greater Palestine :

Spoiler Arabia :

Spoiler ¨Persia :

Spoiler Central Asia :

Spoiler Ganges India :

Spoiler Indus :

Spoiler Religions :

Possibly Manichaeism and Jainism will also be added

Spoiler Civilizations :

Spoiler Leaders :

Current status: Adding Iron Age wonders, searching for Unique buildings, units (suggestions welcome!)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0922.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0922.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 765
  • Civ4ScreenShot0923.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0923.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 743
  • Civ4ScreenShot0924.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0924.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 751
  • Civ4ScreenShot0927.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0927.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 716
  • Civ4ScreenShot0926.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0926.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 729
  • Civ4ScreenShot0925.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0925.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 744
  • Civ4ScreenShot0928.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0928.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 723
  • Civ4ScreenShot0929.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0929.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 699
  • Civ4ScreenShot0930.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0930.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 713
  • Civ4ScreenShot0931.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0931.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 708
Reserved

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0934.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0934.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 667
  • Civ4ScreenShot0933.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0933.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 685
  • Civ4ScreenShot0932.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0932.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 683
  • Civ4ScreenShot0935.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0935.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 665
  • Civ4ScreenShot0920.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0920.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 668
  • Civ4ScreenShot0919.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0919.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 679
  • Civ4ScreenShot0917.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0917.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Civ4ScreenShot0916.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0916.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 777
  • Civ4ScreenShot0950.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0950.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 615
Very nice project and looks good so far. RFC Greek World is half-finished. Maybe you could merge your work with that Mod too.
Well, some ideas could be used for my mod, but I can't "merge" it, because this mod centers on the Middle East, not Greece and I'm not really planning to include land west to Greece.
Also, this mod is not a RFC mod, though it would be nice to have such a mod, I'm not succeeding in my attempts to modify the DLL, and I've grown tired of it so I will probably never be able to create such a mod.

Also, when the Pharaoh's Palace is built, the palace of Egypt just stays in the former capital (Men-nefer in most cases). Any idea how to solve that?

You could make the Egyptian Palace upgrade to the Pharaoh's palace. This is just XML. No idea if it would actually work as I have not tried it. It should also allow Egypt to build a palace even if it loses the pharaoh version.

OK, sorry, I haven't had my coffee this morning:blush: The upgrade function must be part of something that was added in RoM many yeas ago. It was such a simple solution too.:mischief: Unfortunately it needs a new tag which means dll coding.

You will have to decide whether the Pharaoh's Palace is the Capital city of Egypt or if it can just be a Unique building for Egypt (with one instance).

Or a National building for all upon certain conditions: if one of the seven cities of Egypt is conquered or if the Pharaoh is captured, can another Civ build it?

As for the Pharaoh's Palace only buildable in the seven cities of Egypt, it can be done with a dummy building added as a prerequisite or with Python coding. The question is how to select the cities: by their ID, by their name?

Spoiler :
PS: one personal request: could you please get rid of the "This signature is just a construction project, it needs to be finished" in your signature: it is so annoying to have to read this all over again. This is actually true for every signature once you have read them (except for useful links). Thank you.

PS: one personal request: could you please get rid of the "This signature is just a construction project, it needs to be finished" in your signature: it is so annoying to have to read this all over again. This is actually true for every signature once you have read them (except for useful links). Thank you.
:lol: Sure!
Or a National building for all upon certain conditions: if one of the seven cities of Egypt is conquered or if the Pharaoh is captured, can another Civ build it?
That would be perfect!
As for the Pharaoh's Palace only buildable in the seven cities of Egypt, it can be done with a dummy building added as a prerequisite or with Python coding. The question is how to select the cities: by their ID, by their name?
Name would be easiest, but I would prefer not to, because the player can just rename their city to "Men-nefer" or "Waset" and can build the palace in that city.

:lol: Sure!

That would be perfect!

Name would be easiest, but I would prefer not to, because the player can just rename their city to "Men-nefer" or "Waset" and can build the palace in that city.

Thanks! :)

Sorry, another question:
can another Civ build it in the 7 cities of Egypt or elsewhere? I suppose only in the 7 cities.

And yet another one: will your mod be only playable on a given map with cities already in place?

If yes, then the ID of the city could be fetched and stored in the Python code.

And yet another one: will your mod be only playable on a given map with cities already in place?
It is supposed to be only playable on one specific map, but technically one could still start a normal game, but let's not take that into account.
can another Civ build it in the 7 cities of Egypt or elsewhere? I suppose only in the 7 cities.
Yes, only in the 7 cities in Egypt (owned at the start of the game by Egypt, barbarians and Ptolemids).
Also, the old palace should "disappear" or something when the Pharaoh's palace is built, and players should be able to built it more than once, in different cities.

I also need to find a way how to auto-found some religions, example: Christianity is auto-founded in Jerusalem in 30 BC.

It is supposed to be only playable on one specific map, but technically one could still start a normal game, but let's not take that into account.

OK.

Also, the old palace should "disappear" or something when the Pharaoh's palace is built, and players should be able to built it more than once, in different cities.

You're making it complicate! Perhaps a National building with one instance, with <bCapital>1</bCapital> that could make it a Capital city when built despite the old Palace (which could possibly be eliminated by Python without other complication). Also, it could have as a Class <iExtraPlayerInstances>1</iExtraPlayerInstances> which would authorise other instances, replacing automatically the older ones. All this to be tested.

I also need to find a way how to auto-found some religions, example: Christianity is auto-founded in Jerusalem in 30 BC.

Not too difficult I believe if your game speeds all have a step corresponding to 30 BC. It might imply a non-researchable Tech (TECH_CHRISTIANITY, disabled) to prevent it to be founded befora that date.

Again, with Jerusalem already founded at a given place.

Oh noes! I have encountered a serious problem!

So I was using one The_J's components which would let me change the leader on a specific date. The leaders succesfully change, but these annoying python exceptions show up.

So then I disabled python exceptions.

In the beginning of the game the technology advisor immediately popped up. (The Great Lighthouse is part of a python component of platyping).

And then there is no interface at all when I disable python exceptions, altough the game works fine.
The glitch also seems to be civ or leader specific, it only appears if you play as Cleopatra (and possibly some other civs).
What should I do now? Upload the entire mod so I can get help?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0937.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0937.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 653
  • Civ4ScreenShot0938.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0938.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 653
  • Civ4ScreenShot0939.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0939.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 652
  • Civ4ScreenShot0941.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0941.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 635
  • Civ4ScreenShot0940.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0940.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 639
I can't help regarding the coding in any sort, but do you need help history-wise? I have a rather strong knowledge of both Egypt and Nubia (and per extension the Middle East but not too far like India).

Disabling Python exceptions is like the ostrich hiding their head in the sand... The problem remains! (I know... it's a myth :D).

For now, just post your CvEventManager so that we can see what is going on with line 1254.

I can't help regarding the coding in any sort, but do you need help history-wise? I have a rather strong knowledge of both Egypt and Nubia (and per extension the Middle East but not too far like India).
Sure, but I'm not sure what I need right now. I still need a unique unit for Egypt, I'm considering the regular War Chariot, but I'm not sure. I also need a lot of unique units of buildings for most civs. If you want, you can take a look at the civ list and suggest a unique unit, unique building or possibly a unique power, if it could be done with python.
Disabling Python exceptions is like an ostrich hiding their head in the sand... The problem remains! (I know... it's a myth ).

For now, just post your CvEventManager so that we can see what is going on with line 1254.
It seems that even Cleopatra is not the cause of the problem, cause if I play as her with another civ, the interface seems fine. It seems something in the XML of the Ptolemaic civilization is causing the problem, it appears with no other civilization.
Something from these lines is causing it, because if I don't change them, I can play as "Egyapte" without glitches.
Spoiler :

<Description>Egyapte</Description>
<ShortDescription>Egyapte</ShortDescription>
<Adjective>Egyapte</Adjective>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV_EGYAPTE_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
<DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_WHITE</DefaultPlayerColor>
<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_EGYAPTE</ArtDefineTag>
<ArtStyleType>ARTSTYLE_EGYPT</ArtStyleType>
<UnitArtStyleType>UNIT_ARTSTYLE_GRECO_ROMAN</UnitArtStyleType>

I'm so confused, how can a stupid XML thing cause this?
Here is the file, if it helps. Also, if I just save the game and reload, the interface is back, but I still can't see the technology advisor properly, the techs aren't visible, just the background of the Great Lighthouse.

Attachments

• CvEventManager4424.txt
    78 KB · Views: 45
You must be joking! :D

This is the code (onCityAcquired):

Code:
## Airborne Trait ##
		if pPlayer2.hasTrait(gc.getInfoTypeForString("TRAIT_PROTECTIVE")):
			pCity.setNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString("BUILDING_AIRBORNE"), 1)
		elif pPlayer.hasTrait(gc.getInfoTypeForString("TRAIT_AIRBORNE")):
			pCity.setNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString("BUILDING_AIRBORNE"), 0)

Airbone?... really?... :D

I think you need to review your Python components for this mod.

;)

Top Bottom