PC Gamer UK Preview and Screenshots

NeverMind

Proud to be Russian
PC Gamer (UK Edition), June issue, has a four page hands-on preview of Beyond Earth.

You can find it here (use full size option)

And here are 5 brand new screenshots

Attachments

• civbe_pcgamer_01.jpg
    civbe_pcgamer_01.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 2,421
  • civbe_pcgamer_05.jpg
    civbe_pcgamer_05.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 3,166
  • civbe_pcgamer_06.jpg
    civbe_pcgamer_06.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 3,060
  • civbe_pcgamer_07.jpg
    civbe_pcgamer_07.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 9,788
  • civbe_pcgamer_08.jpg
    civbe_pcgamer_08.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 3,104
  • pcgamer_civbe_cover.jpg
    pcgamer_civbe_cover.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 968
Sponsor pool confirmed to be a mix of nation-states and multinational corporations

Harmony gets a "Xeno-Titan" unit that's bigger than the hex it stands in

One type of satellite is good at revealing spies

Wow, those borders are quite... hex-ish?

Also they mention an "aqua biome" with large seas and underwater monsters... that's interesting!

There looks to be a visible purple supply/trade route in the last 2 images.

Are those the new versions of worker units in the last 2 pics? the bulldozer looking things?

Also they mention an "aqua biome" with large seas and underwater monsters... that's interesting!

The aqua biome does sound interesting. (especially as those seem to be whole world options) It implies we might get the ability to have underwater cities.

So far the biome types mentioned are

Desert
Vulcan-Fungal
Aquatic
Jungle

The aqua biome does sound interesting. (especially as those seem to be whole world options) It implies we might get the ability to have underwater cities.

So far the biome types mentioned are

Desert
Vulcan-Fungal
Aquatic
Jungle

I hope we will finally be able to establish viable bases in Polar regions also.

As I thought... the Great Mistake was internet cat videos.

I'm not sure I'm all that keen on the idea that Supremacy units have to be in a certain formation to fight at maximum effectiveness. Aside from sounding a bit hokey, I'm having a hard time imagining the AI being to do it competently.

I think they got beat to the punch by Pandora based on those images. Civ:BE will be a 3A production where Pandora was an Indie title, but other than that..... ugh, I'll wait.

Looks to me like that worms big tail might occupy a hex and prevent ranged units a taking advantage of it's flank.

As I thought... the Great Mistake was internet cat videos.

I'm not sure I'm all that keen on the idea that Supremacy units have to be in a certain formation to fight at maximum effectiveness. Aside from sounding a bit hokey, I'm having a hard time imagining the AI being to do it competently.

I agree, but it's probably something along the lines of flanking and proximity bonuses like from a Great General.

I think the dunebuggy units might be scouts.

I think it will be superior to Pandora, as the aforementioned has a lot of problems still. And Pandora just feels like SMAC 1.5.

Speaking as somebody who played Both (SMAC and Pandora) , as well as the Mods for civ4 and 5 for SMAC conversion. Beyond Earth looks like it will be a more fitting Sequel if only spiritually.

Thank you for the images. If the Mods of the BE subreddit ever fix the spam filter may I post a link to them?

Judging from the screenshots we have seen what a Purity base / city looks like, what Supremacy tanks and marines look like, I am detecting more than a little anime influence (not that is a bad thing mind you). Also we got our first look at terraforming and I am wondering how many turns it takes for an outpost to become a city. But I want it even more now. Any definitive word on the release date?

I had hoped they got rid of the traditional border system, but it sounds like it's still been tweaked. I'll wait and see when we get more information.

Judging from the screenshots we have seen what a Purity base / city looks like, what Supremacy tanks and marines look like, I am detecting more than a little anime influence (not that is a bad thing mind you). Also we got our first look at terraforming and I am wondering how many turns it takes for an outpost to become a city. But I want it even more now. Any definitive word on the release date?

Rumoured to be October according to Game.

Despite the caption, I don't see any evidence of "terraforming" in these shots. I see farms and mines and quarries, but the underlying terrain doesn't look any different than in the other screenshots we've seen.

Oh, and thanks very much for posting these.

I had hoped they got rid of the traditional border system, but it sounds like it's still been tweaked. I'll wait and see when we get more information.

From the map we could see the borders are still expand 1 tile at the time as in Civ5. Also, I have a strong suspicion that the tiles are grabbed without player control as in Civ5 - the cities grabbed a lot of unimproved land and I suspect Miasma can't be worked directly, at least early on.

On the first screenshot we see 2 civs - 1 with 8 additional tiles and 1 with 5 additional tiles and a second city. So either you could boost land grab speed somehow, or it's connected to building a second city. However the screenshots are clearly made (or at least shown) in editor - the civs have the same level of development (so no arriving 50 turns later) and units of both of them are visible.

Despite the caption, I don't see any evidence of "terraforming" in these shots. I see farms and mines and quarries, but the underlying terrain doesn't look any different than in the other screenshots we've seen.

As I understand, real terraforming would require too much changes to the Civ5 engine. Underlying terrain can't be changed, only "features" (additional layers). No sea/land conversion, no river moving, no mountain deelevation. It still could be quite powerful tool, though.

Oh, and thanks very much for posting these.

Well it depends on what changing the lay over (alien jungle-> farm) actually does

If it only affects that tile, then its not really terraforming.

However, if it affects neighboring tiles and/or all tiles on the planet, then it might be more like terraforming than we had in Civ2 or even in SMAC

Top Bottom