TSG86 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG86 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. We are going to try something new and limit your game description in this thread to the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- How did No Espionage impact your strategy?

The terrain made me sad. I settled on the coast to get the oasis in first ring. My priorities were scouts and a shrine. I did writing for embassies then BW then Math for my army. I messed up and went Honor too soon and could not take Monarchy when I needed it. Did not get a GA during the first 105 turns as a result. No espionage want to make me tech harder and help AI tech harder.

I don't think I did the best opening. I killed city spam France but it took until t105 and now I have 1 city, 1 annex and 2 puppets and a desert folklore religion for lots of faith. I will kill Austria and then try to get Assyria to kill some others for me.

UPDATE T116 - I find myself at war with every AI on the planet.

Terrain made me happy! I was thinking about the coast but all that dead desert was depressing, so I decided to wander a couple of turns. Found that magic, magic rock and settled next to it :). Went +10% growth for pantheon, +15% growth if not at war for first founder belief. Went two cities at first, settling the 2nd city to the northwest, next to the mountain near the salt and wheat.

Turn 100 or so founded cities 3 and 4, probably could have passed on #4. Went Tradition, two slots of Patronage, then Rationalism. Was really thinking of sticking to two cities, but city #3, east/northeast, had a lot of jungle and a few other goods, so seemed nice. City #4 was about 8 north of City #2, only did that because I thought I might build Petra even though it was turn 100. Nope!

I didn't really liked desert around the oasis, so I settled on copper. Warrior went SW and found culture ruin, so I went 2 scouts opening. When I saw that this was "inland sea", I decided to settle one coastal city SW (cannot get mountain spot...) so that I could food cargo ship cap and that city.

I got some ruins and two of them were pop: so 2->3->4. After building 2 scouts - worker, I started on settler (lots of hills around the cap, and growth was miserable anyway before tile improvements). And I found that faith NW.

So I built coastal city as 3rd, and my 2nd city was for that faith NW. I took one worker from nearby CS, and when France settled one city near my cap and tried to build one more, I just took his settler to save my 4th city spot and get one more worker. I hardbuilt all 3 settlers.

Rush bought one cargo ship when I got granary up in cap, and sent it to 3rd city. Hard built one cargo ship from the cap.

AIs were really poor... I DoFed with Arabia and that was it. Other AIs were so poor that I could not even get enough gpt for my coppers.

I started GL pretty late and got it around t70. bulbed philo and NC right after. I needed more workers, so instead of building worker myself, I built units and took 2 workers from France. 5 CBs, warrior, and immortal were enough.

2nd DoW gave me more warmonger hit, but w/e. I captured his settler later. I razed his forward city, and captured his cap - I was waiting for him to finish pyramid, but he took forever and I didn't want to risk my units, so I finally took it. I had lots of workers, and without citizenship pyramid is not really effective. I took one from Hanoi too when it DoWed me (French ally).

cap BO: 2 scouts - worker - warrior - 3 settlers - granary - rush buy one cargo ship, build one - GL - NC - Petra
2nd city: granary - library/archers - oracle
3rd city: granary - library - GLight (I thought this one was the one that gives one free cargo ship... what an idiot...) - HG - Writer's guild
4th city: granary - library bought - archer - immortal

Settling on the copper hill, coastal + river + maximise inland good tiles away from the desert ones whiles including the oasis. I will focus on gold from capitol and try to find a good city for research, maybe close to a mountain, ideally coastal too.

Build : scout scout monument granary (bought worker) GreatLibrary (bought archer) Settler archer NC (canceled when started 2nd city) hanging gardens, national college finished turn 99. (Late but i expanded twice, buying library in my 3rd city.)

Research : pottery writing mining calendar AH etc

Pantheon falls turn 41, i pick +1 faith from desert. Religion falls turn 69, i take tithe + faith from wonders. Turn 89 religion enhanced with : 15% growth and 30% cheaper missionaries.

Scientists : turn 108 (settled).

After 117 turns i have 3 cities, two of them mountain spots, national college, 66 science per turn, education will finish in 9 turns, tradition maxed + 1 point into patronage, and i am at war with napoleon because he was expanding all around me. Razed two cities, about to raze a third, capture his capitol (it will be my 4th city) and let him survive on his 1 last city.

What was odd is that i got a MAJOR warmonger penalty for taking one single city from him, it made a bunch of people guarded instead of neutral. Is it normal that warring is so punishing on diplomatically on king too?

Anyway i feel that education is a bit late, should have skipped a bunch of stuff and made it a priority.

First message \o/

I settled between the copper and the river. Made the second city near Uluru. When i was thinking about eh third one, France started spamming cities near the `upper copper`, so I settled my third on the salt. $th is on the sugar over Byblos (Austria didn't like that and complained...)

I decided to go for a cultural victory, since i don`t usually play on this difficult, i didnt know if a could win other way. I'm generating 66.5 science per turn, and I'm third on Literacy.

I Like how we start close to Hanoi, so I can get free units from our friendship and don't need to build them...

Let's see how the rest of the game go!

Here illustration of my start. Personally I believe is it superior way to play compare to standard tradition opening. I made a lot of mistakes in middle of game so did not show 250 turn finish, but base is solid.

and I forgot how to make it all nice.

Attachments

• 2014-05-17_00001.jpg
    2014-05-17_00001.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 2014-05-17_00002.jpg
    2014-05-17_00002.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 110
  • 2014-05-17_00003.jpg
    2014-05-17_00003.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 2014-05-17_00004.jpg
    2014-05-17_00004.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 102
  • 2014-05-17_00005.jpg
    2014-05-17_00005.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 2014-05-17_00006.jpg
    2014-05-17_00006.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 2014-05-17_00007.jpg
    2014-05-17_00007.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 125
First city at coastal mountain, decided to start Full Tradition, then Patronage and some mercantilism.

Planned to go a peacemonger route at first, but after my first setller (close to uluru, but at the desert to max folklore-bonus) and the GL, the city-spamming Nappi DOW'd me... so I annexed paris (jackpot: Petra & Chitchen Itza!) and slowly puppeted the rest of france. Took me a while, though...
Then I couldn't resist Askias offer to join forces against assyria. Now Popping Artists for endless golden ages... let's see how long it takes till the rest of the world is mad at me... ;)

I just took about 4 1/2 hrs to play this one out. My first 100 turns were the most fun of the entire game really. I tried to hyper expand and go full liberty. I stole a worker from assyria and 3 more from cs's. I built 6 cities by around turn 60. I had alot of negative diplo hits and figured war was on the horizon. I was not really prepared and France took a coastal city that I settled to the SW on the cotton. So I spammed about 10 immortals and some archers/comps and as I was going to take my city back Assyria wiped out Songhai and DoWed me. I had no units in the city he attacked to the far North and he took it easy in one turn. I split up my army and went on a 2 front war. It took a little time but by around turn 100 or so I had my cities back and moving onward. I didn't really try for any wonders and Egypt was the only one building them so I didn't worry about them. My plan now is to just take over the map and leave maybe 1 or 2 civs and go from there.

Top Bottom