A huge ~630MB update. What did it contain?

Makavcio

Prince
Hey,

when I started Steam a moment ago, Civ4 BtS got updated. A huge 630MB file. Does anyone know what it contained? There doesn't seem to be anything new, at least on the first glance, and there doesn't seem to be any official info either. Or I simply don't know where too look for it.

I just got back from the doc and noticed an update for BTS and Colonization too. I'm very curious as to what in 4 has an update now that Civ 5 has had 2 expansions already. I mean, not even FFH2 is 600+MB.

It moved Civ4 to Steamworks, since Gamespy has been shutdown. This means that you can now do Civ4 online again!

It should also mean that online multiplayer is improved, at least somewhat, since Gamespy was honestly pretty awful.

It does not mean that MP is improved.=; they have implemented steamworks, but they have removed direct ip from the game. They have just cut off every single Pitboss game currently being played. If you are playing in a pitboss game you need to not download the update...but if you are on steam you are basically screwed.

It does not mean that MP is improved.=; they have implemented steamworks, but they have removed direct ip from the game. They have just cut off every single Pitboss game currently being played. If you are playing in a pitboss game you need to not download the update...but if you are on steam you are basically screwed.

Exactly my situation! See also here.

I just published my previously perfect working PitBoss Direct IP game via Internet, but it is incredibly laggy for me even if I'm the one hosting the game...

Do you know any way to uninstall this update from Steam?

Exactly my situation! See also here.

I just published my previously perfect working PitBoss Direct IP game via Internet, but it is incredibly laggy for me even if I'm the one hosting the game...

Do you know any way to uninstall this update from Steam?

Does anyone by any chance know how to add a password to a saved multiplayer game? Mine was not password protected when it was on direct IP. But now I guess I'll have to publish it on the internet lobby... so I'll need some sort of password protection.

Er, I don't think it works in simultaneous turn timer games, but when you are in game you can use Alt-D to open up a box that allows you to change stuff like civ details and password.

considering i play all my MP games using direct IP, thank god I'm playing from the original CDs.

If you have a CD copy of the game, and go to "Check for updates", the game says that there are no updates available at this time. So really those of us with CD versions of the game are fine to carry on using direct IP. It's just that if there is a game running with someone that has a steam version of hte game...they are completely ****ed.

Also RAH, long time no see. Has Ben been banned yet? And would you be interested in playing in a pitboss game over at Realms Beyond? We need a sub for someone...

Gonna be a whole lot of Pit Boss games looking for subs...

What are the chances that a game has no players that get screwed out by Steam?

SMAC was such a good game. And the "wonder " movies were the best.

So I just got banned from another forum for citing this as a less than positive thing on VALVe's part. Saying anything bad about Steam there is always risky.

I don't see why you would criticize Valve when this is clearly the fault of 2K/Firaxis. Valve is just delivering the patch they made to customers.

This is annoying, I play direct IP with friends all the time, and we had a great game going too.

Worse yet though, I cant seem to load any single player saves from before the patch. The game is throwing an error but crashing too fast for me to read it. Anyone else have problems loading SP saves?

Also RAH, long time no see. Has Ben been banned yet? And would you be interested in playing in a pitboss game over at Realms Beyond? We need a sub for someone...

No, not yet. ;) (if i still had power over there, it would be a different story)

I usually only play direct IP games, I have never played a pitboss game so am not familiar.

Well, I've sent you a PM and a link RAH, nice to see you anyway.

mosphet, that's news to me. I've not seen any other reports of broken saves. Has anyone else seen that problem?

I don't see why you would criticize Valve when this is clearly the fault of 2K/Firaxis. Valve is just delivering the patch they made to customers.

Yeah...and VALVe only makes DRM because publishers demand it...it isn't like VALVe generates the climate of fear ("if we don't do something piracy is going to drive us out of the PC game business", yes that is a quote from VALVe, explaining why Steam was included in 'disk versions' of HL2) or continuously markets their DRM system to publishers as effective when it isn't.

I assume you also believe that 2K insisted on having the Steamworks feature that requires VALVe's marketing tool to remain installed on your machine in order for 2K's program to work. I mean that obviously benefits 2K...oh, wait, no it actually doesn't. It just benefits VALVe. I wonder why 2K did that? Either VALVe asked them, or VALVe told them it was an integral part of the DRM, or it just struck them out of the blue as 'a friendly gesture'. What do you think?

The ability of VALVe apologists to lay the blame for everything bad at the feet of publishers, while practically giving credit for the games they publish to VALVe is outright hilarious. VALVe is a DRM maker, first and foremost. They deserve nothing but scorn.

Top Bottom