Steam Update - Mod asset check error fixes

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
Fix is for STEAM version ONLY

To fix the BUFFY-3.19.003 HOF warning about assets not matching due to the 6/5/14 Steam update:

Download the attached file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUFFY-3.19.003\GameSetUpCheck.
The file is replacement for existing file of same name.

Note: You can always logon to the HOF Website and use the Start File (must be logged in) page to validate your starting save files.

NOTE: This fix is now obsolete. Please check the HOF Mod page for instructions to use the Original Version Beta from Steam.

Attachments

• GameSetUpCheck.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 316

To fix the HOF-2.13.004 HOF warning about assets not matching due to the 6/5/14 Steam update:

Download and unzip the attached file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Warlords\Warlords\Mods\HOF-2.13.004.
Do not leave the zip file in the mod folder.

Note: You can always logon to the HOF Website and use the Start File (must be logged in) page to validate your starting save files.

Attachments

• Warlord_HOFSettings.zip
    970 bytes · Views: 297

To fix the HOF-1.74.004 HOF warning about assets not matching due to the 6/5/14 Steam update:

Download and unzip the attached file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Mods\HOF-1.74.004.
Do not leave the zip file in the mod folder.

Attachments

• Vanilla_HOFSettings.zip
    727 bytes · Views: 340
Good to see the fix, Denniz.

I had put in the 3630 KB version of vanilla's CvGameCoreDLL.dll to replace the steam update 3624KB version (since I could never get steam to work with HOF with the 3624KB version. Only did this in the vanilla folder for steam.

Do you think I will have to put the 3624 back for this to work? Of course, I will know in a few minutes when I try this out.

dV

I plugged the new file into Steam BTS Buffy mod.

If I launch a game as play now, I get the usual message of need to lock modified assets. I also get an error message that "CRCs are missing". This is what I got with a play now launch with Buffy on before the swap. Oddly, the CRC missing error does not appear in Warlords or Civ 4 vanilla.

I go back and launch a custom game with lock modified assets on. Now I get no error messages. Nothing about the CRCs.

So I'd say new HOF games going forward are fixed.

HOWEVER ... I then test to see if I can load an old BOTM GOTM save. That give me the locked assets are checked box, the load fail box, and the dump to steam library.

So my guess is we don't have a fix for resuming old HOF games, or old XOTM games. That probably will require some file fix in the games themselves, if even possible.

Good thing SGOTM19 is done and 20 has not started.

This starts to raise dual install kinds of issues: so which type of Buffy now downloads from the site going forward? The usual buffy, or the steam snafu Buffy?

I have a new computer I just got, had downloaded steam versions of civ 4 and 5 pre update, but it has not been online (hopefully I can stop auto updates), so if I stay pre-snafu, I will want usual Buffy.

Hmm ... will BOTM need two versions of each game level? One for usual buffy, one for snafu Buffy? This might make a game-level fix important even going forward.

I renamed the old file rather than overwrite it, so any undo will be pretty easy.

Also, the Buffy file above downloads as attachment.php in my download folder. I just changed the name to GameSetUpCheck.txt Presumably that's the right move, it seemed to work as well as this fix can be expected to.

dV

BTS and Warlords both use the Vanilla Assets as well as their own. BTS may share Warlords assets as well.

With Steam it gets a little weird since both BTS and Warlord have their own copy of the Vanilla assets. Note the path names in the AssetChecker. Steam resets the Registry entries to point to the which ever version of Civ4 (Vanilla, Warlords, or BTS) you are running. You have to start a game with that version for AssetChecker to check it.

The Lock Modified Assets (LMA) option is the mechanism the causes Civ4 to match that the assets in your Civ4 match the assets of the machine that created the save file. that is why the patch won't let you open old save file from before the patch. or GOTM files for that matter. It is all built into the Civ4 exe. We have no control over it. We just take advantage of it to make sure no one slips modded files into their install.

The issue we have is only Steam patched their versions. There doesn't seem to be any general patch so disk and steam version are essentially incompatible if LMA is checked.

I have not played Civ4 for a while, and decided to try a HOF settings game for fun, since I typically screw around without such restrictions and then get bored - but am getting an "unrecognized install" issue.

My BTS install was done by direct download (NOT Steam) but I do have Steam - might that be the problem?

If not, recommendations?

I have not played Civ4 for a while, and decided to try a HOF settings game for fun, since I typically screw around without such restrictions and then get bored - but am getting an "unrecognized install" issue.

My BTS install was done by direct download (NOT Steam) but I do have Steam - might that be the problem?

If not, recommendations?

Try downloading and running AssetChecker so we can see what going on. Send the result file to hof.civfanatics@gmail.com.

If I was going to join the fun and start playing GOTM games in vanilla which would be the easiest way currently to set up CD or steam?

This is extremely frustrating. Trying to play with buffy mod for HOF. I installed the correct version through steam. Civ IV and all expansions. Installed the buffy mod and it is in Steam/steamapps/BTS/mods. I start a new game load a mod and it says invalid mod directory. been fighting this for 2-3 weeks. When you go to the HOF site there is no real clear direction on getting the mod installed while having it through steam. All I can see here is basically well if you do this and this is should work...well it isn't :-(

This is extremely frustrating. Trying to play with buffy mod for HOF. I installed the correct version through steam. Civ IV and all expansions. Installed the buffy mod and it is in Steam/steamapps/BTS/mods. I start a new game load a mod and it says invalid mod directory. been fighting this for 2-3 weeks. When you go to the HOF site there is no real clear direction on getting the mod installed while having it through steam. All I can see here is basically well if you do this and this is should work...well it isn't :-(
Did you get it working? Hopefully, you noted that his thread is obsolete. (I updated the OP.) Please check the HOF Mod page for instructions to use the Original Version Beta from Steam.

This seems to be as good a place as any to ask, I know this is not on topic, so I apologize in advance :

I've ran BUG forever, but on my Win7 steam BTS, I fail to get the BULL.DLL to work correctly despite following the installation instructions to the letter. Same goes for any combo pack of BAT+Bull I've tried to install recently. I know I managed to get it to work in a previous build, and google searches did not solve my issue. Since having all the components of bug+bull+buffy seem crucial to HOF games, maybe there are some here that could give me a hint ?

Again, apologize for my first post in this subforum to be about this; I hope I can participate more meaningfully going forward.

You should be using only the BUFFY mod; it includes functionality from BUG. I'm not sure, but you might even have to uninstall BUG to get BUFFY to work.

Top Bottom