TSG89 Opening Actions

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG89 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle and what did you build first?
- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?

I settle in place, Build order was scout, scout, monument, shrine, granary, worker, trireme, archer, (settler from policy), trading boat. Had big setback when barbarian galley pillage my route 4 turns in.

Tech path was pottery (pasture form hut), mining, (just n case I manage to steal worker early, did not happened), sailing, lux, quarries, writing. I did not prioritize research because I wanted to expand and explore first.

Second city I build near Deli, hoping to get 3 lux, but bad luck and deli border expand the turn I got money to buy second tie. Still 2 unic lux are good. Third city went south. So, on 100 turn I am on 3 cities, Liberty tree. I did not even try for GL, But I did build pyramids.
Map is like I expected from my test games with exception I hoping to find more city state with trireme.

I did steal worker from Gandhi, but was forced to make peace early because his 4 elephants.

NC was build something about turn 108 or so.

add:
1. I wanted a spot near india cap, but he did beat me by like 2-3 turns, so I had to settle busan very close to my own cap. Still got salt + 2 bananas to start on, and river tiles to boost early growth after civil service, this place was not optimal.
2. I did not steal any worker (both CS and other civs). I looked for a chance, but indian workers were well guarded and I didn't want to waste 5+ turns wandering his borders. plus, I hoped that he would sent me a caravan or two.

(screenshot added)

Spoiler :

cap BO: scout - worker - scout - shrine - granary - GL - trireme (bought one trireme more) - NC - hard build 2 settlers, bought one settler - worker - colossus - 2 cargo ships - writer's guild/Borobudur - university - cargo ship

SP: full tradition - rationalism open. Did not put any writer slot so that I can open rati right away.

Lucky:
1. t5 culture ruin that allowed me to open tradition early and build worker instead (t2 map ruin sucked, though)
2. 2 pop ruins (2 to 3, 3 to 4)
3. got GL at t39

Unlucky/noob play:
1. Lost pre-built oracle that I saved for secularism (2 turns, I think)
2. Lost HG (well, it's fine)
3. upgraded trireme to scout ocean (turtle ship cannot go ocean....)

screenshot updated:
Spoiler :

T115 Failed to take Delhi and reached Education.

I tried to catch Delhi as 4th city. I was late, mainly because I build NC (T90) before CBs.
I'll need to go into Machinery.

I settled on hill coast : 4 salt in range. Map doesn't allow to steal workers to CS. Only one theft from India.

Tradition just close, I'll lost a policy in Commerce. I want Delhi with its HG. I have decent gold income so quick aqueduct will help.

No culture ruin, two surrounding map, 2 techs (archery and calendar), barbs camps.

I didn't build trireme, I'll try to scout map with scout.

BO: two scouts, settler, worker, scout, two settlers, granary, shrine, archer, HG, library, stone Works, stable, lighthouse, circus, market, colosseum,Writers Guild, workshop, NC, NE, temple (t132).

I must built 3 Composite Bowmans and upgrade 2 arhers ,when Assyria start to pull troops near my capital.

In 2nd city I built Machu Picchu.

Capital lost Mausoleum, not enough 1 turn.

Two culture ruins and one pop.

Full tradition and one Patronage for Forbidden Palace.
Goddess of Love.

Built two trirems for the exploration and protection of cargo ships.

glory7, you built Borobudur, so you have religion?

1-40
Monument>worker>chop worker>Great Library (turn 40) Drama archer scout
mining>pop mine>writing>maths

41-92
Hanging Gardens
Oracle turn 82 finish Tradition
Hagia Sofia turn 92 grab last religion

Fertility rites
Tithe
Religious Center for more happiness

Hard built 1 more city after NC, will build 1 more city way down south.

Budweiser where did you place your cities? And what turn did you get NC if you got both HG oracle and HS? Its giving me braindamage if I did it optimal or not with city placement.
But I do have two cities at coast to send cargos. One north close to India and one at northwest at the river/mountain. and one south with a salt + marble.

Ill update when I get home from work tomorrow.

Oh and im new to this. Been playing a few months of Civ in my life only but I do pull off deity wins with Venice and Baylon so far and CV on immortal twice.
So much thinking that it makes me sleep bad :(

Budweiser where did you place your cities? And what turn did you get NC if you got both HG oracle and HS? Its giving me braindamage if I did it optimal or not with city placement.
But I do have two cities at coast to send cargos. One north close to India and one at northwest at the river/mountain. and one south with a salt + marble.

Ill update when I get home from work tomorrow.

Oh and im new to this. Been playing a few months of Civ in my life only but I do pull off deity wins with Venice and Baylon so far and CV on immortal twice.
So much thinking that it makes me sleep bad :(

NC must have come 9 or 10 turns before Oracle. My second city is halfway down the coast and the third one will go on the river mountain down south.

I settled in place. B.O. was scout, worker, mon, I rushed the GL and got it on turn 33. I don't like it because it held my pop and usual B.O. back, but thought I'd try to get it since I had free Mining and free Archery. I got the HG and missed the Oracle (t69) by a few turns that I could of had it if I didn't choose to grow. I did also build the HS to get a religion up and running. I hard built 2 settlers and put the expos by the mtns, 1 to the south and the other to the East. I ended up going 1city NC (t55 or so). I have some food caravans to the Cap and 1 into India. I've been ahead in tech pretty much the whole game so far. Im thinking 3 city Tradition and maybe Take down Indias cap later.

I am playing 3 cities tradition. Start with scouts, then worker and GL - finished turn 35. (In my test games the AI had GL in turn 36, so I was really afraid) I manage to have HG, HS (around 100) and Barbudur next for money (I chosen intial rates and cathedrals). Education turn 106.

Problems - too much barb ship around - my Cargo ships were plundered in three turns after launching. I did two RAs so far, plan peaceful game. Due to mountains everywhere I do not expect any invasion - and Gandhi is peaceful, is not he? :)

BO: two scouts, settler, worker, scout, two settlers, granary, shrine, archer, HG, library, stone Works, stable, lighthouse, circus, market, colosseum,Writers Guild, workshop, NC, NE, temple (t132).

I must built 3 Composite Bowmans and upgrade 2 arhers ,when Assyria start to pull troops near my capital.

In 2nd city I built Machu Picchu.

Capital lost Mausoleum, not enough 1 turn.

Two culture ruins and one pop.

Full tradition and one Patronage for Forbidden Palace.
Goddess of Love.

Built two trirems for the exploration and protection of cargo ships.

glory7, you built Borobudur, so you have religion?

yes - I think I chose earth mother pantheon. I've built shrine early and went bronze working earlier than usual (for iron working - colossus) so I could get 3 fpt from terrain and 1 from shrine.

Really neat map :goodjob: Thanks Leif / HR.

Scout -> Scout -> Monu -> Worker

Liberty -> Citizenship -> Republic -> Collective Rule -> Trad -> Monarchy (Oracle) -> Meritocracy -> Rati, maybe?

Slowish early science while I build basic infrastructure, but a good opener, by t100

- Oracle (t9X, 3rd city*)
- Pyramids (~t55)
- 4 cities
- NC (~t90)
- Aqueducts up / going up
- 2 Cargo ships + 3rd building

Declared war on India early. (getting a Worker from the North, so a long walk back). This allowed Pusan to be built inland by the mountain to pick up wines, sugar.

* There is a killer expo to the south... will be shocked if anyone doesn't build this city.

Will place at least two more cities: filler between Cap and Indian-Wine-Stealer, Crab + Mountain city on the southern coast. Probably going to build, and later regret building, a 7th by Uluru .... will see if the expansion pays off against the 3-4 city tradition folks. (Though glory7's opening sounds unbeatable by me. Surprising? Nope ... ;) )

AIs are no threat, but not completely useless. This is a good mapscript for them. Almost any wonder is attainable, if desired. I thought about a Notre Dame gambit, but the opportunity cost is too high.

I tend to overbuild when going for space. So I need to remind myself that the goal is a SV, not a fast Future Tech 3 :)

Ok so first timer here. Been playing Civ games only for a few months. Started with 5th BNW in december. Im noth the calculating kinda guy I go more for instinct. Maybe thats why I suck in school etc.. Hate math ;P Still I manage to beat deity with venice, babylon and korea obv. Should be semi-easy with poland too.

In this game I went for 2 city NC got the ToA with some wood cutting with 1 hard built worker and one stolen from India, HG, Oracle and the Borobodur (lost HS first turn pheew!). Got pretty rich from selling resources. SO I could cash a settler. Turn 115 im at 4 cities but these damn AIs are so slow getting their luxes so happiness could be a problem soon, luckily income is crazy good so I can cash-buy happy buildings.

Went for Earth mother, tithe and Pagodas since the happiness will be tough.
No idea if this is optimal but I like the city at the river north + stole-bought some wine from India!

Oh for my personal reference... Pangea plus SUCKS nappy. Hard to be friends with cses and Arabia surely loves buying em :(

Ok so first timer here.
Welcome to GoTM. :wavey:

Would appreciate it if you would tone down your language, especially in your use of capitalization. We try to keep our forums family friendly.

Best of luck in future. :thumbsup:

I'm impressed some of you took the risk to build GL. It was gone turn 31 in my game :p

I preffered to reach ToA which I did after a fast first settler.

BO: Scout scout worker shrine settler granary ToA settler cargo library NC Colossus settler HS
I lost a cargo at one point due to barbs grrrrr.

Bought 1 other worker and stole 2 from Ghandi. But should probably had at least one more...

Made 4 cities, the 4th was created a bit late I think...

Biggest problem is happiness, with such a crazy growth I have trouble maintaining happiness with no CS so I have to buy lux from AI and my GPT is down the drain as a result. Things go well besides that, got ToA Oracle Colossus HagiaSophia (enhance). I got secularism turn 117 with Oracle after teching Acoustics.

If I fix happiness I may consider adding 1 or 2 cities and skyrocket them with cargos.

Currently around 200Bpt. Big problem is poor gpt which would be needed to help low prod city north. I also have no roads yet since I want harbors.

SS
Spoiler :

@glory7
cap BO: scout - worker - scout - shrine - granary - GL(T39) :eek:

How did you get this IMPRESSIVE sequence? :eek:

On paper, pottery+writing requires 20/21 turns, early worker is useless without mining/husbandry (he can just build a farm near the river) and in the meantime you can produce scout+worker+scout+(half)shrine only; after that you had 19/18 turns for (half)shrine+granary+GL whereas mining a hill and chopping a salt forest requires 7+3 turns (you need both to rush GL) and GL usually takes 20+ turns.

Can you add more details about your start? :crazyeye:

:cry:

Built T82 in my game. There's Mayans on the map ! How do you manage them ?

That's just luck. Oracle on immortal can go from 80 to like 130. The Mayans sometimes build it very early. I think I didn't even met mayans before turn 90 or something, saw no Oracle in any AI capital so I just kept it on hold at 2 turns left.

There's a lot of luck involved for early wonders on immortal deity. If an AI starts it as soon as he has the tech, you have no chance. But since AI decision involves some RNG in the code... you can end up with Mayans not building it.

I my game toa went T 25 GL 31

That happens. ToA still go later than GL on average in my experience. Would have gone for HG if these two were gone early though. I couldn't get HG but if you beeline mathematics it should be easy. Or Pyramids in your case.

@glory7

On paper, pottery+writing requires 20/21 turns, early worker is useless without mining/husbandry (he can just build a farm near the river) and in the meantime you can produce scout+worker+scout+(half)shrine only; after that you had 19/18 turns for (half)shrine+granary+GL whereas mining a hill and chopping a salt forest requires 7+3 turns (you need both to rush GL) and GL usually takes 20+ turns.

Prioritize chopping first and then working the hills as much as possible. He also got 2 pop ruin.

@glory7

hm, I do not have autosave files, so my answer is based on what I remember. my game plan went like this:

before start: warrior moves southeast. If nothing really special happens (say, you find GBR, or you find river+mountain+coastal+resources) settle right away.

Start with scout, and warrior continue scout south. T2 ruin gives map of south :mad:

T5, scout done, and culture ruin. Perfect. I was still debating between liberty and tradition, and with this ruin I go tradition. instead of monument, build worker (cannot steal one from CS, so hard built one early to chop and improve salt)

warrior finds lots of hills+mountain west and reached south coast - come back to cap.

first scout went west-north, and got ruins and met india. no easy worker steal chance... give up and continue to look for ruins.

Tech: pottery - mining. with 2-3 and 3-4 pop ruins, mining got done early. writing after.

oh, and I think I got AH ruin too, as I do not remember researching it, but I was considering chopping salt tile and improving horse tile at pop 3. I used initial warrior to def worker from barb and improved horse tile first.

I finished granary before starting GL (used chopping woods too), as I planned to add one more pop and it allows me to use more hill tiles. I knew that I could finish it t37-38 if I stop granary and I could finish with granary at t38-39, and my call is that if that one turn makes the difference, it's just not my lucky game. Also, getting granary allows more flexible game if GL fails.

you can tell from my thread that I wasted pre-built oracle right before using it for secularism, and Acken could do it (even slightly later). I also lost HG (which happens a lot, so I didn't focus on it anyway). Main point is that building something should be under calculated risk and back-up plan.

Top Bottom