Seeding: opening strategies

Zet

Warlord
PAC + Machinery cargo was already hinted to be a good combo. What else is good? The seeding choices at a glance:

Sponsors

• ARC: Covert Operations are 25% faster and cause 25% more intrigue
  • PAC: +10% production towards wonders and +25% worker speed
  • Franco-Iberia: 1 free tech per 10 virtues
  • Slavic federation: +20% orbital unit duration and gain 1 free tech after launching your first orbital unit
  • Polystralia: +1 possible trade route from every city that can establish a trade route
  • Kavithan Protectorate: Outposts develop into cities 50% faster
  • Brasilia: +10% melee strength
  • African union: +10% food in growing cities when healthy

Colonists
  • Scientists: +2 Science in every City
  • Refugees: +2 Food in every City
  • Aristocrats: +3 Energy and +1 Health in every City
  • Engineers: +2 Production in ever City
  • Artists: +2 Culture and +1 Health in every City

Spacecraft
  • Continental Surveyor: Reveal Coasts on Map
  • Retrograde Thrusters: Wider areas for choosing where to land first City
  • Tectonic Scanner: No technology is needed to see Petroleum, Geothermal and Titanium resources
  • Fusion Reactor: Being with 100 Energy
  • Lifeform Sensor: Reveal Alien Nests on Map

Cargo
  • Hydroponics: Begin with an extra Population in your first City
  • Laboratory: Being with the Pioneering technology (allows settlers and trade)
  • Raw Materials: Begin with a Clinic building in your first City
  • Weapon Arsenal: Begin with a Soldier unit
  • Machinery: Begin with a Worker unit

I'm leaning towards Kavitha, Scientists, Retrograde Thrusters, and Hydroponics.

Get a good landing site, hit the ground running, and expand early.

I'm leaning towards Kavitha, Scientists, Retrograde Thrusters, and Hydroponics.

Get a good landing site, hit the ground running, and expand early.

With a laboratory you might be able to expand faster. You need the technology it gives to be able to build settlers.

I don't really see a reason to choose a different cargo than weapons. The early worker unit is too vulnerable, starting with pioneering mainly lets you build vulnerable units that you'll have to protect (meaning it would be foolish to build a trade unit or a colonist before you have a soldier, a Clinic or one additional pop looks OK, but still not as good as a soldier who can immediately scout and grab some resource pods.

"PAC: +10% production towards wonders and +25% worker speed" with "Scientists: +2 Science in every City" and "Continental Surveyor: Reveal Coasts on Map" and "Machinery: Begin with a Worker unit"

U can powerhouse from turn 1 :).

I don't really see a reason to choose a different cargo than weapons. The early worker unit is too vulnerable, starting with pioneering mainly lets you build vulnerable units that you'll have to protect (meaning it would be foolish to build a trade unit or a colonist before you have a soldier, a Clinic or one additional pop looks OK, but still not as good as a soldier who can immediately scout and grab some resource pods.

The aliens didn't attack the worker in the PAC start though. They only attack when provoked or approaching their nests, which is what happened to the poor scout (and wouldn't have happened with more careful scouting).

Soldier is good, but I think you could get by without for a while.

I am torn between three options here:

* Brasila
* Artists
* Laboratory
* Weapon Arsenal

This being a Purity build to facilitate rapid expansion (health bonus), grab virtues quicker, set up outposts near valuable resources and, of course, military bonus to remove those pesky natives from my new lawn.

My second choice:

* SlavFed
* Scientists
* Retrograde Thrusters
* Hydroponics

This is my current conceptual Supremacy build. Rapid science advancement with the flexibility of satellites.

My third build:

* Polystralia
* Aristocrats
* Tectonic Scanner
* Laboratory

This is my Harmony build. Also rapid expansion, trade routes with everybody, grab valuable resources first, make lots of money. Rush buy whatever I want too.

Seems like weapons cargo can actually benefit Slavic Federation a great deal giving you an extra unit to scout with from turn 1 thus increasing your chances of finding a resource pod with a satellite thus increasing your chances of benefitting from your UA early, but still a hit or miss.

Polystralia: +1 possible trade route from every city that can establish a trade route

Engineers: +2 Production in ever City

Tectonic Scanner: No technology is needed to see Petroleum, Geothermal and Titanium resources

Laboratory: Being with the Pioneering technology (allows settlers and trade)

The above would fit my play style, trade and overwhelm everything with Dosh.

African Union: refugees, retrograde thrusters, hydroponics for good measure.

+2 food per city, +10% growth, +1 extra population in the beginning, more choice in starting location.

It's not that exciting in first few turns, but the massive growth will kick in soon enough. Happiness might be an issue, so this is probably better suited for tall empires.

Again it's hard to say without having the whole picture. So I'll base this as if we were playing civ5.

I'd be a lot surprised that if Cargos stay like that, Machinery for free worker won't always be the pick. Well unless they cost very little to make.
But without more informations and based on CiV worker first and build a soldier is by far the better option.

It could be less interesting if relative costs are nothing like Civ5.

What does the Clinic do too ?

Again it's hard to say without having the whole picture. So I'll base this as if we were playing civ5.

I'd be a lot surprised that if Cargos stay like that, Machinery for free worker won't always be the pick. Well unless they cost very little to make.
But without more informations and based on CiV worker first and build a soldier is by far the better option.

It could be less interesting if relative costs are nothing like Civ5.

What does the Clinic do too ?

+1 science +1 health

I think I know how i'l start my first game:

Slavic Federation
Engineers
Fusion Reactor
Weapon Arsenal

Start with two units that can scout and immediately train another Explorer. Then build another Soldier and start building either a Worker or Relic and buy one of those as soon as I have the energy. Research Genetics immediately and if I find a solar satellite launch it after the research is finished (if you can delay launch), grab Genetic Mapping for free and start building the Gene Vault. Then research Pioneering and start expanding after the Gene Vault is finished.

Thinking Franco-Iberia, Artists, Lifeform Scanner and Laboratory.

Artists get the faction bonus up and running sooner, Lifeform Scanner lets me hopefully find a path of least resistance for early scouting, and get a second city up quickly for extra production and even more culture (and at less of a hit to health from the Artists).

Regardless of what else I choose, I'm not certain I would choose anything other than Retrograde Thrusters. Getting that first city in the optimal place could make a big difference.

Polystralia and Kavitha probably want Laboratory to exploit their traits early since colonists and trade units both require Pioneering. Kavitha and Africa could both use Aristocrats or Artists for the health bonuses.

Also, the Continental scanner seems useless. You can get the gist of the land shape with either the Tectonic scanner or the Lifeform scanner.

Polystralia and Kavitha probably want Laboratory to exploit their traits early since colonists and trade units both require Pioneering. Kavitha and Africa could both use Aristocrats or Artists for the health bonuses.

Also, the Continental scanner seems useless. You can get the gist of the land shape with either the Tectonic scanner or the Lifeform scanner.

That depends
1. are there life form (alien nests) or resources (petroleum) off shore?
2. how 'full' is the land of those (ie how big a chunk of land might you miss)
(to balance it they could always let the Continental scanner show you mountains as well)

Top Bottom