TSG94 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG94 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. We are going to try something new and limit your game description in this thread to the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- What were your initial priorities with Score being the main objective?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?

Turn 100

An interesting start. I had an initial plan of wanting to see how well I could do just doing a Tradition 3-6 city core and wonder spamming with a mostly peaceful approach, using wonders, population, and religion as the bulk of my scoring.

I decided to take the GL-NC-settler-settler approach, while I explored and got the lay of the land.

Then Egypt dropped their city right where I wanted to put one, and revealing Iron showed that Thebes had one of the closest Iron.

So at turn 100, I now have 4 cities, 2 of my own and 2 of the land formerly known as Egypt. And everyone except the 2 civs I haven't met yet have denounced me. I've built the GL, NC, and stonehenge, and am debating how to approach the next 50 turns.

I went standard scout scout granary shrine scout opening.

As My unseal strategy milk Egypt on workers/settlers.
Originally went 1 city tradition into 4 cities tradition.

Next build order was Gl-NC-Artemis-H_garden and wanders........

Basically start expanding into 4 cities when start to improve lux. Bards were a bit of a problem..

I did not do any test games, so I have no idea How to finish it except some notion of starting conquest some turns before end. It could be settler spamm would be best stat, but I will not do it. ( 1 settlers = 18 score....)

Settled in place since I don't need fast scouts (no ruins) and settling on the hill would mean a very poor hammer start otherwise with western hills being on 3rd ring. 1st ring has banana + wheat which is good enough.

Quick warrior movements reveal a ton of jungle. Getting the fastest secularism possible isn't a priority for score so this is an obvious trad/liberty start in my opinion. Also no ruin mean fast monument is very good. Just have to grab jungle culture. Later I see two cultural CS so lot of potential culture for trad/lib.

BO is: Monument, scout, shrine, scout, granary, archer(defense), settler x2, archer, pyramids, library, NC.
Tech: Pottery, Mining, Archery, Masonry, Calendar, AH, Writing, BW, Philosophy
Meet Egypt turn 5 hope to make him a worker farm. I camp with warrior since exploring with him on such hard terrain isn't worth it. First worker is out T26, I grab him. I get a settler from zulu later on

Scouts reveal a VERY ugly map.

Collective rule gives free settler T38. I'm forced to settle on luxuries to not get killed by happiness hits and also to how difficult those ressources are.

I try to steal a worker from germany but lose the scout and worker. He sends troops on my 4th city, I kill them with just the city and he gives me some gold, thanks.

I get a late NC T91 and overall it's a slow start. I'll see how it develops from there.

I believe not getting fast scouts was a mistake, especially with jungle top and hills bottom visible on start. Exploration reveal no good early settling spots, so go liberty, even it is my prefer strategy was out of question for me.

At turn 100 I'm using Liberty and Patronage for peaceful growth. Wonders are chosen to get Great Engineers to build other wonders. No culture or extra defence from the Honour tree so there's Sacred Path to take advantage of all the jungle. My warriors are about to turn into Legions.

Top Bottom