News: TSG97 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 97
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Ninety-seventh game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Intentional use of the Science Overflow Bug is banned. Its use will result in your game being disqualified for results. (Firaxis patch claims this is fixed, we'll see.)

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomatic. All VCs are enabled but results will be published by fastest Diplomatic victory turn.

In this game you will play as Enrico Dandolo and lead the Venetian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized Continents map played at Immortal difficulty and at standard pace. Diplomatic is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until December 1st to complete the game and submit.

Civ V BNW - TSG97 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Enrico Dandolo - Venice
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 18
Map type: Continents
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Immortal
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is disabled. (You may turn it on using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.144. It was then loaded into version 1.0.3.276. This version is required to play this game. DLC is required for this game. You must have Mongolia, Wonders of the Ancient World, Gods & Kings and Brave New World.

In this game, you will be playing as Venice, you possess Serenissima. Cannot gain Settlers nor Annex cities. Double the normal number of trade routes available. A Merchant of Venice appears after researching Optics. May purchase in puppeted cities.

You can earn The Merchant of Venice, it replaces the Merchant Great Person. The Merchant of Venice may conduct a Trade mission just as a Great Merchant does. He may also acquire a City-State outright, bringing it under Venetian control as a puppet. The Merchant of Venice is expended when used in this way.

You can also train the Great Galleass, it replaces the Galleass. The Great Galleass has a stronger ranged attack, is more resilient in battle and is more costly than the base Galleass. It is a powerful Medieval Era Naval Unit used to wrest control of the seas. The Great Galleass requires that you discover the technology of Compass and you do not need a resource to build them.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Monday, 1 December 2014.

The save will be available for download on 1 November 2014, midnight Central Daylight time (UTC -6:00) in the US.
The Save can be found here.

Is it normal to continue to get the "you do not have enough iron/horses" message every turn after buying a city state with units even when you do have enough of that resource? Is this a known bug ? Does it have any effect on game play?

Saving the game and reloading removes the issue

- haha right clicking the symbol gets rid of it too :) feel free to delete these comments

Wow, great start for Venice with 3 Salt, 1 Wheat, 1 Fish, and 1 Whale.

How does puppeting a CS affect the votes you need to win? Does it lower total?

Do folks favor Tradition or Liberty for Venice? The free MoV from Liberty is very attractive, but otherwise it seems like poor fits. But the Tradition perks manifest slowly too. Some people really seem to love Venice, but I had a very difficult time with them.

How does puppeting a CS affect the votes you need to win? Does it lower total?

Yes, puppeting lowers the total, but as with Austria, each puppet still makes diplo victory relatively slightly harder. Still worth it though.

EDIT: Thinking about this more, if Venice uses MoV on non-ally CS (as they should), there is no downside.

When I have filled out Tradition with only 3 cities, the free culture and aqueduct spawned in the first city I conquered. My assumption is that this would be similar to Venice.

Great starting position. I wonder if honor is the way to go on continents, maybe mixing it with Liberty. I don't like the idea of tradition especially after the last patch.

You conquered the city before or after taking the policy

I conquered the city after legalism, but before closing Tradition. I founded my fourth city, and was like: Hey! Where is my free monument? I am less certain about the aqueducts now that I think about it. I think the behavior may have changed with a patch, but to the better. This whole conversation has convinced me to try Tradition with Venice, because before I found the two free MoVs from Liberty too tempting to pass over.

I rolled this start on a practice game

What were the map settings? Supposedly Venice gets first dibs on the best coastal spot for spawning, but could every civ really have it worse? Also, I think you have ocean (but prolly ice locked) 3 hexes north, just follow the river.

Did you play this out?

Top Bottom