[WIP] Exploration Revamp

HorseshoeHermit

20% accurate as usual, Morty
In pursuit of the lofty goals explored in this thread, I have begun development of a mod component that enhances the utility and flavour of the Exploration policy branch.

I found I really wanted to play a game that had an Exploration branch I might actually take in the Medieval era, I wanted it enough to write C++ code to do it. I am sharing my progress starting from here.

Cultural Conversion - Exploration
#Dll changes #Balance changes

Current version: v24 (Pre-Alpha)
-New iterations are almost guaranteed to reject old saves.​

This component is the precursor to a much more comprehensive mod to the entire social policy tree, and some attendant balance changes in other areas. That is the 'Cultural Conversion'. For now, please appetize yourself with this small demonstration.

Contents
  1. What is this
  2. Implemented Changes
  3. Working Towards
  4. Possible Effects
  5. What can you do

What is this

This is a .civ5mod file. Add it to your {My Documents\MyGames}\Sid Meier's Civilization V\MODS folder an-

No no, I mean what is this?

Exploration is a fascinating concept for a social policy. An empire dedicated to the very notion of expansion, the quest to explore the world, and the fever to colonise every inch of it which so captured Europe in rivalry. The policies we got in Brave New World hardly capture any of that.

My aim is threefold. First, it is to work with concepts already in the game to reward exploration and vast expansion. The scope of the mod is "small" (when you have whoward's monolith and things like Communitas to compare it to), but I am not shying away from whatever manipulations I have to do to implement the new gameplay.

Second and third, I would like to offer the people who are interested in the ideas from the linked thread, the possibility for playing the game -they- want, with a compatible mod component. I can alter the DLL to allow for some of those (which need DLL changes). I also am incorporating into this mod package some DLL changes which have nothing to do with this mod, but instead are part of a larger, deeper, pet project of mine. They are changes to game logic which allow for certain Data-driven (i.e. XML- & SQL-enabled) changes to occur. Presently, all of them are effects for social policies. When I release that mod, it will incorporate this one like a component; for now, I am simplifying distribution of the DLL.

Implemented Changes

The present, implemented changes are this:

The branch is structured with two paths. They go:
Maritime Infrastructure -> Colonisation ;
Navigation School -> Cartography -> Expeditions
The policy finisher increases Great Admiral generation by 50%, in place of Navigation School. Expeditions reveals the Hidden Antiquity Sites.

Colonisation adds to Naval Tradition's happiness by giving culture for putting up Markets, Lighthouses, and Harbors. Navigation School slightly quickens the rate of border expansion. Cartography bumps up happiness from discovering natural wonders. And Expeditions also grants Science yields on Natural Wonders and Landmarks.

The DLL has been modified to make the following possible:
There are modifications to the game logic supporting policy attributes of the following types:
ExtraNaturalWonderHappiness - integer happiness added
TradeRouteSlotChange - extra trade route available
ScienceLeakModifier - percent increase of science from international trade
CityConnectionGoldChange - Gold increase per city connection
(these are columns in the Policies table)

There is a table with the following schema:
NaturalWonderYieldChanges (PolicyType, YieldType, Yield)
Rows in this table add the specified amount [Yield] to the specified type of yield of a natural wonder plot worked by a city with this social policy.​

Working Towards

The aim is to have this, or almost this, at which point the mod will be in Early Beta. This design should not change too many times before having a prototype:

• Adopting Exploration: +1 :c5moves: Movement for naval combat units, and the rate of border expansion increases. An extra delegate is available if the civilization is the first to circumnavigate the globe. Unlocks building the Louvre.
  • {Age of Discovery}: A Great Admiral appears, and naval units are +1 Sight. +1 :c5happy: Happiness for the discovery of each Natural Wonder.
  • Maritime Infrastructure: +3 :c5production: Production in coastal cities. {unchanged}
  • Colonisation: Markets and Harbors give +1:c5culture::c5gold: Culture and Gold, and an additional 2 :c5gold:, :c5production: in each city that participates in a sea trade route. Requires Maritime Infrastructure.
  • Cartography: Receive up to five boosts of :c5science: and :c5culture:, once for each of the following tile features, the next time the empire's borders contain a tile with that feature: Atoll, Jungle, Oasis, Ice, and Marsh. Each Natural Wonder in borders provides 1 :c5happy: Happiness. Requires {Age of Exploration}.
  • Expeditions: See the Hidden Antiquity Sites. +2 :c5science: Science from Landmarks and Natural Wonders. Requires Cartography.
  • Finisher: Save 33% of the :c5science: Science costs increased on technologies from the number of cities.* Great Admirals are earned 50% faster. Purchase Great Admirals with :c5faith: Faith starting in the Industrial Era.

*I am working on math formulae to figure out a way to do this that actually rewards sprawling empires more, and isn't just "oh hey my 4-city Tradition techs like a 3-city!"

Possible Effects

The effects given here are ones which may not be desired when balance is taken into consideration, and/or present particular resistance to implementation. They are still items of opportunity for the mod to enable the possibility of (with a further compatible mod component).

• Purchase Archaeologists with Gold
  • Golden Age Points
  • Non-:c5capital:Capital cities receive bonus 2:c5food: from domestic sea trade routes.
  • Darwin's Voyage World Wonder, exclusive wonder or otherwise. Science boost conditional on capturing remote tiles. Counterpart to Porcelain Tower.

What can you do

Download and try it out. Tell me if you like it. Tell me if it is boring. Continue the brainstorming begun in the Ideas & Suggestions thread. And of course, bug-catching is extremely helpful.

At least until the mod reaches the goalpost mentioned above, this thread will be a monarchy as far as goal-setting and modding goes. Of course, you are free to mod, incorporate, extend, or do whatever you wish with these data. I look forward to your comments.

Recent notes from the modder

Spoiler :
Of particular interest to me at the moment is doing justice to a Colonisation/Colonialism concept in the game. Those with learned viewpoints on this have my ear, as realism is about 50% of my motivation for doing this.
Also, a feasible name for Navigation School is desperately needed. The ideas were Legendary Tales and The Great Unknown, but neither describes a social policy.

The science and culture boost effect for Cartography is not that hard to do. What would be difficult is making it detect whether you've -ever- owned the right kind of tile, which I tried to do but had to change the code architecture and save format so much.

Special thanks: whoward, whose tutorials made tractable maintenance of this project.
vplus, for dreaming.
Others are mentioned in the mod info.

Attachments

• Cultural Conversion - Exploration (v 24).civ5mod
    1 MB · Views: 69
Top Bottom