TSG98 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG98 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- What were your initial priorities with Culture being the main objective?
- Have you settled on a strategy in the first 100 turns? If so, which ones and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- Did the terrain and/or difficulty shape these decisions? If so, how?

I did some trial runs prior to play Byzantine on a Islands map and tested to skip the scout and build a worker in stead as I started always isolated on an island with one CS and build Stonehenge before the shrine

Also in this game I used this strategy and did build the scout once it could travel coastal sea.

My warrior found: +1 Pop, calendar (very nice !!) and map (revealing a CS north across the sea).

My build was worker, granary, Stonehenge and untill turn 120 stayed as one city focusing on generating culture and faith and building as much Wonders as possible (Artemis Temple, .

The strategy to get one city with Grand temple, a Religion with 3 Touristbuildings for Sacred Sites was succesfull. I ran many turns with a negative GP. After turn 120 I am going to expand and purchase the Tourist buildings for 6 points per city and actively spreading the religion

I started with Tradition and Aristocracy for the culture (+3) and 15% wonder production. Followed by the full Piety tree (organized, tolerance, reformation, mandate theocracy) together with being the first to found a religion I had : God of the Sky , World Church, Monasteries, Pagodes, Mosques with Religous Texts and Sacred Texts.

Next will be completing the Tradition tree , try getting the FP (patronage) and aesthetics

By turn 102 I've opened Tradition and Honor for early culture. Aristocracy was needed to get the GL done in time. The Parthenon and Oracle are the other wonders. Minimal military is Warrior, Scout and Dromon. Piety needs two policies more to complete--next policy in 11 turns.

Constantinople built in place, Adrianople on the hill to the south by the sheep, next city with luck in 11 turns between the cattle, mountain and desert to the southeast.

Bison and Cotton are new.

Happiness so far is good (9). Money not so much 18 (-2).

This is fun but I also liked the 200 turn game recently even though I came last. You've also had starts in a later era which gets people away from standard openings.

This is fun but I also liked the 200 turn game recently even though I came last. You've also had starts in a later era which gets people away from standard openings.

We will be doing more of those different game types and starts. I decided to have a 'typical' game to both coincide with the new patch changes and also because Civ:BE might have temporarily distracted our players. Participation levels were expected to dip a bit, at least for the first month or two.

Glad you enjoyed them. Thanks!

HR

First game like this I have tried. Focused on capital growth and snagged great library and lighthouse and hanging gardens. Wanted to get at least 3 cities up with my maxed out tradition but the Huns just settled a city in the top ne corner of island and brought 6 axeman and 2 rams. I have now 2 archers and 3 comp 1 spearman. Very nervous with him at my doorstep. Will have to go to war now

Also didnt realize until this post cv objective

Attachments

• 8930_2014-11-23_00003.jpg
    8930_2014-11-23_00003.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 177
It looks like I took a completely different approach so far. Test games showed that buying open borders is important to scout everybody. Important to scout early, so the tourism gets rolling to everybody asap. Hoped to have more silver/gold around to take Religious idols for both the faith and culture as social poicies would be an issue.

There is not much initial food available, but good production. My plan was beeline Optics to get the ligthouse for food, going full piety then full liberty. Enhance with piety finisher prophet. Spam cities and religion and sacred sites.

Execution: Settled in place. Monument, Scout, Settler(started), Shrine(when piety opened for the bonus), Settler(finished), Worker, Workboat, Dromon(scouting), Ligthouse, Stonehenge. Got pop on T3 from ruin, so worked the stone and sheep (and stone+gold when building settler). Other ruins-gold, map, scout->archer).

SP-Piety(T13), Organized religion (T22), Tolerance(T44), Mandate of heaven, Reformation(from Oracle, around T85), finished around T100 to enhance. Pantheon T24 - stone circles. I considered also God of the sea due to number of water resources, but faith had more priority. Eastern Orthodoxy founded T65 with mosques and pagodas and Church property. Enhanced with catedrals and cheap missionaires (they cost me 110 faith and buildings cost 160). Nobody else was going religios much.

Science: pottery, sailing, Minig, Masonry(stonecircles prefered to Optics), Optics, AH, Calendar, Writing, Philosophy, Archery, ->Construction, -> Civil Service (open borders). Then irrelevant, but beelining Acoustics just in case it is needed.

2nd city on the plains hill South, third on the tundra hill W, fourth on the hill next to coper on the Hunic Island. Other cities: Shrine, Temple(when available), Monument, then some Dromons, settlers, workboats, Cargo ships, temples. Scouting OK, but did not meet everybody by T100. Had 4-5 cities at T100.

Expected Atilla DoWs me for the city, so I carefully picked the location to defend myself. I promised not to settle him, he become friendly and DoWed me 5 turns later :D
I was prepared. That citi did shrine, walls (half built when he DoWed). The river hindered movement. I had 2 warriors fortified on the hills around the city, archer and dromon inside the city. (My whole army :p ). Two more Dromons rushed there to assist. Easili defended with not harm to the city at all. He brought 2 rams, 1 horse archer, 4 warriors, 2 trirems and 1 archer on T75. Lost one warior and the scout. Then with 2 CB, 4 dromons and the last warrior I took his capital in 2 turns.

Then peace. Spam cities, buy faith buildings, Scout, Enjoy. Gold and hapiness were very tigth at the beginning, but OK now.

Top Bottom