Creating a DISASTER mod

Pioneer Boyscou

Chieftain
I have not found any disaster related mod for BNW. I have, however, found several different discussions related to that topic - mainly half of the people saying, that it would be great and the other half saying 'I do not want to ruin my game'.
Well, if you belong to the first group, then I would need your help.

I have ideas, time and energy to plan such a mod with all the rules and details etc. I just have absolutely NO IDEA how to create a mod.

So, now I am asking, if here is skilled mod builder(s), let's team up.

What I had in my mind, was for example Natural Wonders as volcanoes, which could then erupt. Random events, such as tornadoes, sandstorms and earthquakes, which occur according to certain rules. Famine, epidemias, global warming effects, terrorist attacks and computer viruses. Everything for different eras.
I was not planning to create a horrible world, but add a bit spice. Some of the units may be killed, buildings and even wonders destroyed or damaged and some other complications. The intention is not to ruin anybody's game, however.
The point is, that you can prepare for at least some of them. If you are afraid of volcanoes, do not settle near them even if they look really attractive. Or you can build dams to fight floods or hurricanes, or...

I am also open for ideas that you guys will post in this forum.

So, is there need for spicing things up in form of disasters?

And is there anybody who would like to build such a mod with me?

You could use Sukritact's Events and Decisions and create these disasters as events, for example: "Vulcan erupt near *city name* (city is razed), "Tsunami devastated *City Name*" (city loses populations) , "Earthquake destroyed *City Name*" (city loses buildings, even wonders, and loses population) "*city name* burned!" (city loses several buildings), "Plague devastated the plantations/farms/pastures" (plantations/farms/pastures generate less food/gold), "Scientists warn on Global Warming". The last could have two or three opitions: Combat it (Factories, Oil Well, Offshore Platform, Manufactory and Lumber Mill produce less production) or Keep the industrialization (33% chance of nothing happening, 66% of Farms, Fishing Boats, Camps, Plantations and farms produce less food/gold, ice tiles desapear, Snow turns into Tundra, Plains turn into Deserts, some Atoll, Florest and Jungle tiles loses the Terrain Features and all coastal cities in the globe loses 1 population)
I'm with you, I agree that some disaster mod will enrich the gameplay, just to test our Ability to plan considering for the unexpected, like in the real world.

Sounds like a good start. Want to join me?

By the way, I have noticed that lot of mods only work in single player mode. How how about multiplayer with hotseat? I would like that to work in that way as well.

Like I said, I have NO experience in making mods or coding anything..

Thank you PawelS.

I have now created an excel file describing how everything should work. If any of you are interested, please send me your contact details at pioneer.boyscout@gmail.com and I can then send the file to you.

It would be good to know, if what I have planned is doable - or if there are lot of things to be changed.

And in general, I would like to get suggestions what would be good to have there.

For Natural Disasters I have planned something for each terrain, plus a river and a volcano:

Volcano * random
Hurricane Coast
Tornado Plains
Sandstorm Desert
Blizzard Tundra
Flood Rivers
Earthquake Mountains and hills
Forest Fire Jungle and forest

.. and then there are some Diseases for each Era:

Ancient Lepracy
Classical Arthritis
Medieval Plague
Renaissance Pox
Industrial Tuberculosis
Modern Cancer/HIV
Atomic Animal Flu
Information Jungle fever*

Isn't Ebola basically a jungle fever? :) I just thought to keep it more generic, since it is 'future' era. You never know what is coming. But basically it does not matter what the name is. I could as well use that.
Thanks for input.

Guess you're right about that.
As mentioned before by someone, I also think Events&Decisions could provide the framework for this.
One thing to take into consideration is compatibility with FramedArchitect's Plagues mod.

Yes, I just saw this. FA seems to have created all kinds of things related to this.

Well, sadly, like I have said before, I have absolutely NO experience in any coding or building mods. Thus I can only provide the ideas and sort of rules and maybe some graphical work. I still would need someone to do the actual work. I can only support..

Again, if anyone is interested, I can send an excel file to explain what I had in my mind..

Again, if anyone is interested, I can send an excel file to explain what I had in my mind..

Just to point it out, you are asking for many many hours of work, and since there arnt many active modders here, that will act as a white knight, you should look if not anyone else, already created such a system.

Iam only saying this, because the next version of CCTP will have a event system with many unique features, and it inlcudes a lot of your suggested ideas already.

The man you should ask is Gyogen, when he finished the system for CCTP, you can probaply use it for your own.

PS

Link to the related thread

GREAT!
Thanks!

This is exactly what I had in my mind. I have tried to search one and was only capable of finding a half ready mod for G&K. Never realized, that there could be something like this.

I will look into CCTP and see if there is anything I can contribute.

Top Bottom