Retired Moderator
Game of the Month 161: Dec 2014

Civilization: 1 Sioux settler
Starting techs: None
Difficulty: Emperor
Total players: 7
Restarts: on
Barbarians: Restless Tribes (+0)
Known map (which means you can open it in map editor at any point in the game)

The map is a slight modification of the New World map (144x227) by Yagoda of CFC. The following Player starting positions were changed slightly: Persian, American, Chinese, and Indian. Shape of Michigan fixed. Some terrain, particularly around player starting areas, were replaced with more hospitable terrain.

Deadline: Feb 3, 2015

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

You can download the game here.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Attachments

• GOTM161.jpg
    GOTM161.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 2,007
Lest it is not obvious, this map is gigantic. "Normal" map is 4000 tiles, large is 9000, max possible allowed in the original map editor is 10,000. This map is over 32,000 tiles. Keep that in mind when devising your strategy.

I tried to open the game with my Classic CIV2 game. It apparently couldn't handle the map size. I was able to open it using Multi-Player Gold Edition.

I have classic on Mac and I did open it with that. Glad you could open it with the Multi-Player Gold Edition.

Is this some MGE situation, or some other kind of glitch?

Using MGE, I loaded the GOTM161.sav file. I moved the settler to the grassland and founded Little Bighorn. Since that was my only unit, end of turn began flashing. So I saved the game (save file called si_b4000.sav), and hit end of turn. It moved through the processing, I chose to research Alphabet, and it was again, end of turn (since I didn't have any units to move). But, it is still 4000 BC.

This is a known glitch and it is not unique to MGE. I play classic on Mac and I have seen it happen several times throughout the years. Typically when you get a repeat of the same year you get the opening sequence and movement on just a few units if any. Most units will not move. You are welcome to continue as is. When it was convenient (saved at the end of previous turn) I have gone back to the most recent save and typically it does not happen again.

The rules :)) =

'Known map (which means you can open it in map editor at any point in the game'
I expected to make Apollo Program to see the map :)),is a cheat reveal,not cheat, me not sure,novice ....:)
When we play on a game-generated map revealing the map is cheating and as you said you only get to see the full map when you make the Apollo wonder. When we play on a pre-made map, like the map of the world, it is OK (and in fact recommended) to reveal the map. But you do not reveal it via the cheat menu (which will be considered cheating), you reveal it by opening the starting save with the map editor.

When we play on a game-generated map revealing the map is cheating and as you said you only get to see the full map when you make the Apollo wonder. When we play on a pre-made map, like the map of the world, it is OK (and in fact recommended) to reveal the map. But you do not reveal it via the cheat menu (which will be considered cheating), you reveal it by opening the starting save with the map editor.

No problem,is just for fun.

Judging from the spoiler there are still a few who are playing. Deadline extended to Feb 16th.

Top Bottom