News: TSG100 Announcement!

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 100
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the ONE HUNDREDTH game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

In this game, there is NO designated VC. All VCs are disabled but players results will be published by highest Score.

What does that mean? PLEASE READ!

Spoiler :
Game Score will determine who wins. Since no VCs are enabled the default is Time and in this game Max Turns has been set to 250 turns. This means the game will be a race to the highest score in 250 turns. Everyone plays the full 250 turns and saves after the 'Wait, just ... one ... more ... turn" Victory Screen screen pops up. Should you not have the highest score at the end of 250 turns it will result as a loss but you will get the screen regardless.

TSG94 was our first effort at this. In that GOTM I wasn't accurate on breaking down how score is determined. Civilopedia entries are out of date and I linked them. Luckily the practice days before the release on the 15th let several good samaritans provide the corrected info.

This is gathered and explained in full here. Monthar gets (and deserves) the credit for his excellent post detailing this.

At any time in a game, in the Diplomatic Overview Mini Screen you can hover the mouse over your Score to show where your points are coming from. This is also possible to view how the AI points are determined.

In this game you will play as Portugal and lead the Portuguese Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized map played at Deity difficulty and at standard pace. Highest Score is the designated VC for this game. You will have until January 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V BNW - TSG100 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: - Portugal - Maria I
Number of Civilizations: 8
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Small Continents
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Deity
Game pace: Standard
Game options: You will start in the Ancient Era. Max Turns is set to 250 turns. Please read the above spoiler for more details. Quick Combat is enabled. (You may turn it off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.276. Wonders of the Ancient World DLC are required for this game and the Gods and Kings expansion is required.

In this game, you will be playing as Maria I, you possess Mare Clausum. Resource diversity grants twice as much gold for Portugal in Trade Routes.

You can build the Feitoria, a Unique Portuguese tile improvement that only Portugal may build. A Feitoria can only be built in a City-State's lands, on a coastal tile without a resource. It provides one copy of each Luxury Resource type that the City-State has connected, regardless of your status with that City-State, but that copy cannot be traded. It also provides the same +50% defense bonus as a Fort.

You can also train the Nau, a Unique Portuguese naval melee unit. It has more moves than the Caravel, which it replaces, and can perform a one-time ability next to foreign lands to earn gold Gold and XP. May only be built by the Portuguese.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Thursday, 15 January 2015.

The save will be available for download on 15 December 2014, midnight Central Daylight time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

We agreed to skip the alternating difficulty levels for this one for being the 100th game. We'll get back to the normal schedule after this but Score games may find their way into the VC rotation if enough find the playstyle interesting.

Thanks
HR

250 turns might be enough to actually win the game for some folks. That would boost the score wouldn't it? I mean, more points would be added for winning?

250 turns might be enough to actually win the game for some folks. That would boost the score wouldn't it? I mean, more points would be added for winning?

I'm not sure if there is a score boost for winning if no other VCs are checked. I'll try to look into it.

HR

I'm not sure if there is a score boost for winning if no other VCs are checked. I'll try to look into it.

HR

Well if they arent enabled, then I guess you cant actually win. My bad, I didnt read close enough.

Well if they arent enabled, then I guess you cant actually win. My bad, I didnt read close enough.

It is the same setting for the previous score game. High score will give you the victory screen. If i had set it to Science with a turn limit and no one launched, (iirc) it would default first to Score when time ran out, then if it was a tie it would default to most SS parts then if none were made maybe highest beakers (bpt i think, but maybe total beakers? i dunno) to decide it. I think similar metrics occur for the other VCs (most caps for Dom, most tourism for CV, and most votes for Diplo). I tested it a few months ago but dont have those saves to revisit.

Rather than complicate the strategy choices I disabled them all. Score is the only victory decider.

:dance::banana::band::banana::dance:

Wow, 100th game. :bday: to Game of the Month

:thanx: to the team for creating all of those. And thanks for an unusual game.

I know i've never submitted a finished game so far and rarely posted a good AAR but i've enjoyed playing a good number of past games. I will definitely try this one as it's very different.

Nice starting position BTW with all that salt. IIRC small continent means that you probably share your landmass with one AI and a couple CS but there won't be loads of land to explore prior to embarking.

And just so that lazy people have no excuse
Here's the list sorted from highest to lowest multiplier to make it easier to plan what you want to do.
  • WONDER_MULTIPLIER 25 (per world wonder)
  • BELIEF_MULTIPLIER 20 (per belief - max 100 without reformation, 120 with reformation or as Byzantium and 140 for Byzantium with reformation)
  • FUTURE_TECH_MULTIPLIER 10 (each time future tech is researched)
  • CITY_MULTIPLIER 8 (per city)
  • POPULATION_MULTIPLIER 4 (per pop)
  • TECH_MULTIPLIER 4 (per tech)
  • POLICY_MULTIPLIER 4 (per policy)
  • GREAT_WORK_MULTIPLIER 4 (per great work)
  • LAND_MULTIPLIER 1 (per workable tile)
  • RELIGION_CITIES_MULTIPLIER 1 (per city following your religion)
Thanks Monthar for this figuring this.

Nice! I'm a Portugal newbie. I shall use this game as my first step into Diety. I'm scared.

Nice starting position BTW with all that salt. IIRC small continent means that you probably share your landmass with one AI and a couple CS but there won't be loads of land to explore prior to embarking.

Decent start with the salt and the other resources. Pity about the snow to the north, but there doesn't appear to be a better place to move the settler (or at least not without settling on a resource and/or giving up the river) and it's diety so scouting around for a better location is not a good idea.

Nice! I'm a Portugal newbie. I shall use this game as my first step into Diety. I'm scared.

Me too, I expect this GOTM to be painful ;)

Would be interesting to get back into CiV during the holidays with this challenge. Would be a first on Deity also, so maybe I should take to the advice also.

Sadly, Ive only ever completed and submitted a GOTM series game once because I can never finish a game on time. Just as an example, I just finished GOTM #97 that expired 12-1-2014 and cant submit game.

Good luck to all of you though.

Top Bottom