TSG100 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG100 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. We are going to try something new and limit your game description in this thread to the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- What were your initial priorities with Score being the main objective?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- How did the map type affect your decisions?

Is 76 close enough?

Spoiler :

I downloaded and played about 30 minutes before work.
Worker first.
Mining>Pottery>Calendar

I had heard that SH goes early now on Deity, but I thought I would try for it. It went on T28 before I could even start. At that point, I should have built a Shrine, but I didn't. I am kicking myself so bad because founding is worth so much in score. 5/6 Full Tradition. 2nd city east to get Old Faithful. Food ship going to cap, size 10. 1 route to CS, +48 GPT.

I also failed at good scouting. There is a bad man down south, but so far he hasn't hit me even though he covets. I gave him my first Salt. I hope that keeps him away until I can kill him. I plan to kill the world, but I am not out of the woods yet.

You could try a test game with the same settings first and make the GOTM your second step into Deity. It helps to have an idea of what you are about to step into.

I've had some success on Immortal, figured I'd dive straight in. On turn 70 and so far it's going ... ok?

Moderator Action: Welcome to GOTM. Moved your post here as one of our rules is that once you open the save, you cannot post in the announcement thread because of spoilers. Best of luck.

I don't usually play Deity but thought I'd give this a go.

Spoiler :
Opened with a worker followed by a monument and a shrine. Found a map ruin which revealed Askia's capital, so I considered rushing him but I figured that would slow me down and not help in the grand scheme of things. Better give him a beating later with a fleet, along with the rest of AIs.

So instead I teched Mining - Pottery - Sailing and sent a cargo ship to Gao for a bit of gold and science. I went Liberty and settled in Askia's face, so I knew he wouldn't really stay friendly for long. Bribed him to attack a city-state to distract him. We made a DoF a couple of turns later and he sent a Cargo ship and a caravan to my forward city for a total of 12bpt from him. :crazyeye:

Finished my NC on t83 and Askia backstabbed me at about the same time. Had to rush walls but otherwise it was a pretty dull war. Stole a prophet and got 6gpt and a lux trade from him in the peace deal.

Went Tradition after Liberty's free settler, but not sure I'll finish it. Will definitely get Monarchy though. Perhaps Exploration after that? Or maybe Commerce and later Autocracy for fun times.

I think now the plan is to focus on tech for a bit, then take Askia down with Galleasses and upgrade to Frigates to hopefully punch some more AIs in the face. Gotta steal all the wonders!
Spoiler :

Moderator Action: Welcome to GOTM. Moved your post here as one of our rules is that once you open the save, you cannot post in the announcement thread because of spoilers. Best of luck.

Oops, sorry! :crazyeye:

Currently on turn 115. I've had some success against Askia; I currently control Jenne and Tomboctu. Egypt and I are good friends, which I hope will last as Rammy is currently winning a war against England and I'd prefer him to not turn towards me next (my military and economy are in a bit of a sad state due to a long war with Songhai). I'm behind in tech but I'm optimistic! Optimistic that I won't die anytime soon at least... I took some screenshots but had some issues with the file type, oh well!

Thanks for the mega-OP map. :goodjob: My Capital is size 18 at Turn 102. Just grew last turn and only 3 turns until next growth. :crazyeye: How big can I go?

Spoiler :
Did a simple 3-city Tradition, prioritizing Cargo Ships to the capital. I stole a Worker from Askia and he refused to make peace. We fought for a long time, and I got something like 4-5 more Workers from him. Porto almost fell (I actually thought I was going to lose it on one turn, although it was only size 2 with a single building, so it wouldn't have been that huge of a deal), but the defensible chokepoint allowed me to hold out. After many, many turns, Askia finally offered peace, and I was able to get 600 gold out of it. I used the money to ally a Maritime CS, getting WLtKD in the capital and keeping the growth train rolling.

I have Oracle and Hanging Gardens for wonders. Full Tradition and opened Exploration -- I will take at least two more in Exploration (hammers and sea-building happiness). Score is most heavily tied to cities/pop/land, so conquest will be the way to go. Frigate rush seems like the obvious choice. That's about as far as my planning extends for now.

Attachments

• PortugalOP.jpg
    PortugalOP.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 254
Turn 100, 3 cities, full Trad. No wars yet, though Sweden warned me that Songhai is plotting. I'm way behind in military, but just got astronomy to crank out the Naus. Next I'll fill in the tech gaps and buy the troops and buildings I need. I don't play deity often, so survival is a win in itself for me.

Approaching turn 200 now... My game was heavily influenced by an early attack by Askia, around turn 40. He did not really threaten my capital, but I did have to allocate some resources to defense and not all the best tiles could be worked. I settled another city to the northeast, next to a mountain. The constant war awarded me with two great generals and some powerful ranged units, but not until frigates was I able to strike back. I captured Jenne, the city south of me and later I got Timbuktu in a peace deal. I also settled another city on a remote island, which luckily turned out to have a coal resource.

Egypt is the most powerful civilization. The Egyptians eradicated England and the Shoshone seem to have done the same to Morocco.

I now have a reasonable navy and I wonder whether to attack Egypt or Sweden for more puppet cities and hopefully some wonders. Egypt is closer and has more wonders. But it has lots of units and has a considerable tech advantage. Still, something needs to be done to crank up my score...

Wow, that was pretty quick. I guess I drew a particularly aggressinve Askia. He settled second city towards me and overran my capital with about 20 units by turn 50. How the heck do you even defend that?

First 100turns:
Spoiler :
Techs: Pottery, Mining, Writing, AH, Sailing, Calendar, Philosophy, Masonry

Turn0:
I go west with warrior and reveal additional salts. After some consideration I decide to settle west to get those 2 salts and less snow.
I lose one ivory and a deer but maybe a good city can emerge there.

We immediately start on a monument, this is small continent and deity. North looks tundra/snow too. So I doubt I can get more than a couple ruin. I'll make one single scout after for maybe a worker steal on a CS.

I get Archery in a ruin and find Askia. Warrior will patrol there to grab a possible worker.

After Pottery I start on a Shrine and then a Granary.

Turn17:
Spoiler :

An opportunity finally presents itself after a good number of turns, and a good one at that. I try to capture both (plains worker then the one on the hill). With some luck the AI will mess its pathfinding and not get the free worker. The thing is that the AI has a tendency to always put an archer like this in garrison as soon as it perceives danger. And the warrior being blocked by the archer there is a chance the AI will screw this up.
And luckily for me this is exactly what happens and I bring these 2 slaves home.

Our capital is a monster so I open tradition. After Mining I go directly for writing. Only the south spot seems like a good city. I have two possible spot in the east but they are kinda weak. So I'll go 2 city NC.
At size 3 I start on a settler.

Turn21:
I grab a cahokian worker and immediately make peace so that I can bring it back
I meet Ramsess and Liz

Turn25:
Spoiler :

I see a good worker steal opportunity steal from Liz, may lose the scout. The Ai really cant move and shoot... so I don't lose my scout, he lives with 15hp.

Turn31:
Peace with Liz and a 240G sell of my salt in the peace treaty
Capital builds a granary next and then Library

Turn35:
Porto is founded, I make a mistake here I start on a granary for 4 turns but I should just buy it. I switch to a library.
Capital makes an archer and then cargo

Turn44:
Earth mother Pantheon

Turn56:
I'm a little late due to the detour with Sailing so I make a settler for 4 turns.

Turn70:
NC built Braga founded east
Turn72:
Religion founded, not much left I go for tithe and religious community. Anyway I'm between 2 piety civs so only my capital will really use it.
The next turn elizabeth is completely wiped by egypt, with Askia not wanting peace I'm left with very little trade options...

Turn82:
Oracle built, finished Tradition, will open Exploration later on.
Someone reaches Renaissance at turn 90 O_O

Turn95:
Finish the national epic, I give a shot for a 9 turns Chiche Itza

Turn100:
Spoiler :

Finish Hanging gardens in Porto, it seems that nobody went tradition. Askia Looks agressive.

Turn104:
Askia Dows and I finish Chichen Itza

Manpanzee, which mods are you using, if I may ask?

He's using this
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=512263

Wow, that was pretty quick. I guess I drew a particularly aggressinve Askia. He settled second city towards me and overran my capital with about 20 units by turn 50. How the heck do you even defend that?
Steal his workers early on to cripple him and always prep for war in deity.

My second deity attempt ended like the first one :crazyeye:

After about 15 turns of lurking around Askias defended workers I saw an oportunity. But he blocked me, killed my warior and worker. He did not want to settle for peace, so around T40 he took Porto and then finally Lisbon on T70. So I'm proud :p

I'm going to give it a second try.

Top Bottom