Rise of Nations

Zier

got milk?
Anyone noticed that this game is very very similair to Civ3? I just bought it and am about to play it for the first time. I was just wondering if any of you civ3 players played it and what do you think of it?

It is not out yet. You warez monkey!

(if it IS out i retract that statement)

Its out

Its made by the lead designer of Civ2, so I would expect it to

There's granaries/barracks/mines/libraries/universities etc and you need to research new techs to be able to upgrade your units and all that. It's sort of a mix between Red alert and civ3, I think I like it :D

i just saw it in the shop a few days ago when i was buying thre expansion pack for medieval total war. now i can go the scots, my original country of origin :) (no im not cuban i just live there)

I downloaded the free demo....and I'm glad I did cause I would have been furious if I wasted money on this game. This is just my opinion anyway but this game is nothing as it promised...the combined epic scope of Civ mixed with 3-D real time. I became suspicious as I started reading threads from Beta players that this game would not live up to its hype so I didn't rush out and buy it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying this game sucks just not what I was expecting or wanted. It has been hyped that the developers of civ II were behind this game but when I play it it seems more like Ages of Empires or Empire Earth developers had a hand.

The only elements of civ are the improvements, wonders, and Unique Units but that is about it.

Whew! I *almost* bought Ages of Empires before Civ3! That was a close one! I am happy that I went with the Civ series!!!:D

Brian Reynolds, Jason Coleman, and Tim Train all worked on Civ3 before they left Firaxis to form Big Huge Games (there may be others on the team that also worked on it, but I know these did).

While nothing can really topple the perfection of Civ, this game is definitely the best RTS Ive ever played, which is saying alot, because Age of Empires 2 was damn good :)

I don't know if it's the best RTS. I played a couple games and i'm still unimpressed but definately not disappointed. It is too short i think. Theres not enough research to do that you can have fun in one particular age. It's too easy to keep going forward.

This game is a mix between Empire Earth and Age of Kings.

And definitely only VERY, VERY, VERY remotely linked to civilization.
VERY remotely.

What really keeps me in turn-based games and especially civ series is the possibility of exploring each age and having fun in each age. RTS is fun for short games but because of it's nature it is hard to enjoy eveything fully without having to keep worrying about advancing to the next age to keep up an arms race

I have been playing alot recently, and ive found that you do begin to explore each age starting at about the medival age when you play with good players. Plus you can make scenarios, plus you can make technology cost alot more and make it be researched much slower. The only problem is that you cant turn off nukes. And even though armagedon rules when you are losing, it sucks when you are winning...

All I can say is that Brian Reynolds is the true brain behind the Civ series. This is extremely evident playing RoN.

:vomit: Sid Meier :die:

Civrules, I nearly went for AoE2 before Civ 3 as well! good that I didn't, 'cos Civ3 has lasted a lot longer on my PC.
The trouble with RTS games is they are simply too fast, so you can't enjoy each era in history as it comes; also, most RTS games lacks strategy, it's just: get rich, build an army and fight the enemy. The C+C series is the classic example, most Empire Earth games have the same problem.
That why TBS is so much better :)

Originally posted by William528
Civrules, I nearly went for AoE2 before Civ 3 as well! good that I didn't, 'cos Civ3 has lasted a lot longer on my PC.
The trouble with RTS games is they are simply too fast, so you can't enjoy each era in history as it comes; also, most RTS games lacks strategy, it's just: get rich, build an army and fight the enemy. The C+C series is the classic example, most Empire Earth games have the same problem.
That why TBS is so much better :)

I agree wholeheartedly however RoN is different. Unlike AOE2 and C+C there is no excessive senseless mouse clicking. You can program a game in RoN to last as long or as short as you want. Note though for me nothing will ever take the place of TBS but don't count RoN out. :)

Top Bottom