TSG106 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG106 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- How did you adjust your strategy for culture in this game?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- What Wonders did you build or miss? Did you found a religion?

My apologies on the delay in posting these. Hope you didnt forget too many details from when it was fresh in your mind.

HR

I think I detect a new trend in GoM design. In the last two games I've rehearsed a military opening only to discover there's nobody nearby to attack.

From the comments I've read over the last long time the most successful opening is to conquer the neighbours and get their resource-rich locations. Now there's a good reason to focus on developing a network of your own cities. It's like a whole new game.

Piecemeal policies to get fast culture: Honor (raging barbarians), Tradition (opens Hanging Gardens), Liberty up to Citizenship (worker) and Collective Rule (settlers). The next step is Piety to see if there's still enough time left to get Sacred Sites.

On turn 101 Rome has Temple of Artemis, Great Library, Hanging Gardens, Parthenon in 7. Tempted to try for Oracle but it's probably time to found cities so the Roman UA can speed up buildings (Antium turn 76 south desert, short river). I think the Ballista and Legion will be out of date by the time Astronomy lets Rome meet other civs.

Turn 88 religion founded, Tithe and Pagodas. Building the religion will probably be the main focus for the next several turns.

This start was a big mess for me.

I wanted to try sacred sites combined with killing some culture rich countries, when I discover the second continent. I discovered Mt Sinai, so decided to build my second city there. Went for a quick settler, but the site was taken by Ife, which was in a really bad location, so I didn't want to conquer it.

I went scout, monument, settler, researched pottery, AH. It looked like the barbs are resting, but then 6 showed up no my borders and killed my scout. So I was left with a warrior, settler and 6 barbs on my doors and no archery :cry:

I settled Antium SW in the desert to ship food to Rome at least, but I managed to build Cargo ship and granary only on T85. Settler third city N later on.

Took Tradition opener, Honor opener. I hoped to farm a lot of barbs for culture, but got rid of them quickly. At least it helped me to defend their first attack. Allied the 2 CS also using barbs, which got me religion (Earth mother, Tithe, Mosques). As I was isolated, I dismissed the sacred site plan. Went full tradition, Aestethics then.

I was really slow techwise. Got NC past T100, but I got GL, Stonehenge, Parthenon, HG. Went on the wonder spamming mode :D

I played +160 turns in the first session. Started with scout-monument-scout-shrine-archer, researched pottery-mining-archery. I was pretty disappointed after realizing i was all alone on a pretty barren island. I decided to go full tradition, since the raging barbarians with no other wars before astronomy didn't IMO justify opening honor. I decided to ignore the early wonders and the petra challenge in the middle of the island, and settled on the coast (1st satellite SE of cap, 2nd way up north, 3rd SW by the river on the peninsula. Happiness became an issue early on, I was too eager to clear the camps and didn't benefit much from killing barbs near the CS, so I stayed with two cities until around t110. NC done t90-ish, built Oracle in Antium and Chitzen Itza in Rome.

I was the 1st to found a religion (tithe & pagodas), but far too slow to enhance, so I didn't get a second building, so I skipped piety altogether and went for economics, so that I can buy cheap artillery and eliminate the AIs with highest culture/tourism in the future.

Overall, pretty sloppy play with a few questionable decisions, but prince-level forgives ;)

Wow, I never realised how difficult being all by yourself-bar a couple of City States-could be. I was going great until around the mid-Classic to mid-Medieval era....getting in good with both the City States, & killing off all the barbarians that threatened us. I also managed to snatch several choice early Wonders-including The Great Library, The Great Lighthouse & the Great Mausoleum. Then I watched as both my happiness & gold fell into negative territory.....didn't recover until the late Medieval period. I also missed out on pretty much every Wonder since the Classical Era. Now that I've met several of the other Civs, my happiness is back up around +21 & my gold is up above +30 per turn. Hopefully now, I'll be able to catch up lost ground between now & the end of the game!

Aussie.

- How did you adjust your strategy for culture in this game?
Looked to put maximum number of cities on my island. Thought about opening honor for culture from barbs, but decided it wouldn't be cost effective.

- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
Liberty for the free/cheaper settler. Piety as I wanted to do sacred sites.

- What Wonders did you build or miss? Did you found a religion?
Great Library and Oracle. Founded a religion with desert folklore, initiation rites and pagodas.

Top Bottom