Civ 3 broke

ZergMazter

Prince
I know this isnt the right forum guys, but Its the busiest one so i wanted to give you guys a heads up. The game is broke now for some people due to an auto patch thru steam.

And i was wondering what happened with my game all of the sudden :( Im afraid they wouldnt care to fix it since we are few, but maybe if we all act together and msg whoever we gotta msg they maybe can fix this mess with the latest patch.

I still got the discs, but my PC wont read them on windows 8. Any one experienced with that? Thanks

Can anyone that hasnt updated to the latest patch share a copy of their civ folder files so i can revert my game back to that? I would greatly appreciate it.

Steam version please. Only if you've had ur steam offline since before the 16th of this month. Make sure you make a copy as well because next time you log in to steam all hell might break loose.

I just decided to launch Civ3 steam today to see what they have done. I had not played it for a little bit.

I had seen some posts on here that they said they could not access scenarios and the game crashes.

I was not in a long time but I navigated through menus and also launched a scenario and it all seemed to work fine and I also played more than 10 turns. The only things were lots of 'labels' were messed up and not in their organised places as before. I did not experience a crash, but i'll try again later since I did not have time to do much at this time.

The main thing that I noticed was new and that worked properly, was that they finally allowed the steam overlay with Shift-Tab which also means you can take screenshots through steam and chat easier without minimizing the game.

Also the 'Go-to' option when you leave your left mouse button pressed to send a unit to a specific location causes major lag. At least for my system It messed up the resolution, which i manage to fix eventually, but people who maybe arent as persistent as I am might not find a way out of it.

I dont care steam messed up civ 3 a little for now, they just got the most awesome specials. I dont usually buy games but these people get me. Right now Civ 5 complete with all the expacs an absolutely everything for 12 dollars!!! I think I will finally buy civ 5 right now :) The ratings are overwhelmingly positive so who knows.

It does look a little bit like civ 3 the way you can view your world from above.

Launched Civ3 again today since a MP friend told me they did another little update to fix a few things. I loaded up my new scenario again and the labeling of buttons were still all messed up for me. I then decided to relaunch and load default New Game. In New Game all the labeling was in their proper places. I then loaded up some other scenarios and they were fine, these scenarios had minor editing and also no main menu graphics. I then loaded up heavily modified scenarios, Anno Domini, EFZI 2 Complete and then mine again and these all had messed up labeling of buttons.

So it seems like they did some editing in the labels and previous editing of labels are now not in order.

Lol I was wondering the same thing. I was looking at 'WolrdWide's units and i notice it went like this:

Attack
Defense =2
Range=1

Instead of

Stats
Attack=2
Defense=2
Movement=1

This could cause some problems with the disc civ3. Since the labeling seems to be different on the updated Steam version. So if you gave a modded scenario with a labels txt, it could look different on the disc civ3 and vice versa.

If Anno Domini and EFZI Complete aren't displaying correctly in your game, I assure you the fault is not with those scenarios, which are two of the best, and both of which I've loaded numerous times without incident. Are you using Civ3 Complete, Civ3 Conquests, or just Civ3? I know that EFZI requires Civ3 Conquests, which has a different layout than Civ3 vanilla. Civ3 Complete allows both.

Its not the scenarios. It was the update from steam. I was playing the zombie island prior to the patch and when i tried replaying it i noticed all the crazy labels out of place. I cant tell you how the patch was related to it, but i do know it started happening the day after the patch. I already got a clean installation and still meh.

Oh and i finally made my disc work, but mine is a very old conquests version from 2003, so a conquest.ini file doesnt even come with it and i NEED to adjust the resolution :/

Ah, it makes sense that it was a Steam update. I also noticed the labels all out of place in AoI, I would presume that's the reason. Thankfully the game is still playable though.

If Anno Domini and EFZI Complete aren't displaying correctly in your game, I assure you the fault is not with those scenarios, which are two of the best, and both of which I've loaded numerous times without incident. Are you using Civ3 Complete, Civ3 Conquests, or just Civ3? I know that EFZI requires Civ3 Conquests, which has a different layout than Civ3 vanilla. Civ3 Complete allows both.

We are talking about the latest update from steam. So yes i am using Civ3Complete from steam. Before the update, everything was working fine for scenarios like Anno Domini and EFZI 2 Complete and my scenario as i was making this and finished it before the update. After the update, the labels for buttons are all messed up, but the game works fine. The fix would probably just be to get rid of the labels txt and use the default (as the default game labels work fine and any scenario that uses the default labels), or get a fresh one from the updated game files. But the problem is you would probably have to have 2 labels txt if you use a scenario made with steam civ3 with the disc version as the labels now seem to not be in the proper order.

Anyone have issues with taking screenshots now? When I use the steam screenshot system, the game freezes for several secs, and then takes a black-screen screenshot which is obviously of no use. When I do my old way with print scr and copy to GIMP, that also turns out as a black-screen screenshot.

Also has anyone noticed the mouse move automation system seems laggier?

It would be my guess that copying/sharing civ folder files would be against Civfanatics policy. My advice would be to get a copy at Gamersgate for $5 - no problems.
Apart from that the GG installation is missing the PTW.exe, which I may have mentioned, erm... a few times in posts elsewhere on CFC... :gripe:

Agree that the GG installations of Vanilla and Conquests play just fine though.

Top Bottom