Domination tips?

InFlux5

King
I have never been the biggest fan of warmongering, but I would like to be able to do it from time to time. In Civ 5 I don't seem to be able to.

My last attempt was as the Huns. I made good use of my Battering Rams to take out neighboring Hiawatha, and a city-state beyond that. I got stalled at the Incan capitol - no big deal, it was a good push.

The problem is THE ECONOMY. I was operating in the red pretty much the whole game. Gold, and sometimes happiness, were really holding me back. I founded a 4th city and I had Honor as my main policy tree (for flavor reasons.) This is only King so I don't think those choices should have hamstrung me.

So basically, I'm wondering, how do you keep your economy up as a heavy warmonger? After my initial successful push I was left with an army that costs a fortune and no gold to upgrade them in preparation for the next push.

What am I doing wrong?

How are your Horse Archers coming along?

The Honor finisher gets you gold for kills -- so you are really locked into warmongering for a long time! It is a weird thing having negative gpt but okay amounts of gold. You need to be killing units, but not necessary taking cities. So start up again with Incan, go around his cap if necessary. Kill all units and pillage all his lands. Pillage-repair if you are still having money problems.

You are correct that Honor should not be hamstringing you. It works on any difficulty level.

My advice is to watch some of Peddroelm's videos on YouTube. These showcase Honor brilliantly. I usually point people at the one for Deity Challenge #2 with America.

Also, a chap called Mel something posted an LP in the Stories and LPs forum recently with the Huns. I haven't watched all of it, but it was a really fast finish.

The most important thing is to grow your 3 cities as much as possible. Growth = science = better units = more kills = more money = more units = more kills (and the cycle repeats).

Peddroelm also has a guide somewhere on the Strategy & Tips forum called '3 City Industrial Domination guide' or some such.

Good luck!

Also, a chap called Mel something posted an LP in the Stories and LPs forum recently with the Huns. I haven't watched all of it, but it was a really fast finish.

I assume you mean Mel Uncensored

The most important thing is to grow your 3 cities as much as possible. Growth = science = better units = more kills = more money = more units = more kills (and the cycle repeats).

Early growth especially is highly welcomed to avoid going (much) over the unit soft cap as it includes non-military units for no apparent reason.

I assume you mean Mel Uncensored

I assume it's me :D

For the Huns and every civ with a Mounted Archer Unit (Keshiks, Camel, Horse Archer) the best way to actually win domination is to spam them. Spamming means you never stop building them, I did win with the huns by turn 126 by just spamming them, no science, no cities, just them. I did the same thing with Mongolia, I won before industrial era (longer because it comes later in medieval). Honor is the best policy tree for that just because experience means everything for domination, the finisher also is really usuful to survive, in my current japan LP, I'll have some serious gold issues (-160 per turn) I'll make more money and be able to upgrade my whole army because I kill so many units. Commerce is a good way stay rich.

Set cities to gold production when you have enough units, make great merchant and send them to the CS, it will give you a lot of money. Also commerce will keep you happy, don't focus so hard on science, you can rush gunpoweder before education it's fine, the city you'll capture will have population and the science you missed. Spies will help a lot aswell, spy on the tech leader, I had a spy once, grabbing tech every 5 turns... Don't be scared to lose it, don't be scared to backstab someone, every AIs will hate you anyway once you own 3 capitals.

Use worker to bait the AI, or prophet.

A last thing, the siege unit of the huns is really good, but not worth spamming them (unless you don't want a quick win) the best thing is to go honor, rush horse archer, spam them until you win the game, that's what I did. It's easier with Mongolia tho. Gather science and horses, rush chivalry and spam keshiks. Play on pangea or oval map, it makes everything better and quicker (if you are like me and don't like late game) oh and, focus the nearest AI, always, you a train, you need to stop to every station (capital) but in the right order.

The thing I most need advice on is those situations where you've gone Honor, you've boot camped your archers, you've grown well and reached Machinery in good time, unis are up, but your first victim has become a monster and you're wishing you'd have gone Liberty and wiped him out before he swelled...this is especially nasty when he's got a decent renaissance UU. Sometimes bribing him to war helps, sometimes it has the opposite effect.

In my most recent game I was doing well turn 90. Come turn 140 I was floundering with happiness, gold, growth problems. I feel like I'm going backwards in my learning, and having the same problems I was having months ago :(

[EDIT: And yes, it was Mel Uncensored :) ]

Top Bottom